The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Ewan Murray’s opinions are horrendous, Graham hunters interviews are 80% Graham talking. 

Ewan Murray doesn't have opinions. He has ideas that he thinks will wind people up.

Graham Hunter always reminds me of the Only an Excuse impersonation of Jim Kerr. I just can't listen to the guy talk.

6 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

You should talk about the injustice of Meadowbank relocating to Livingston then, that would pep you up.

I'm ready to discuss this at any time. I feel very strongly about the injustice visited on the supporters of Meadowbank.

As any decent human being would.

I make no apologies for this and I'll be bringing it up repeatedly in future. It's one of the most shameful episodes in Scottish football's history.

Edited by VincentGuerin

Quote below from a BBC news article regarding a bank holiday if England's ladies win the WC (ludicrous but an argument for elsewhere). So their team didn't actually win their version of the last Euros tournament  ?

"If they win on Sunday, they will become the first England football team to lift a major trophy since 1966".

10 hours ago, miketheheadlesschicken said:

There’s an article from yesterday on the BBC website on the England/Australia sporting rivalry that included this.

IMG_0146.thumb.jpeg.e2cfb8b5956bbd8876fec5d2b8dde0ad.jpeg

As a man who has lived among them a very long time, I've just become used to their interchangeable use of England/UK/Britain. But this is just thick.

The missus in English and I used to point out whenever she did it. She is now hyper aware of it. Not so much out of sensitivity to me, more because there's nothing that will bruise her ego more than having her ignorance pointed out to her. 😀

But an awful lot of English folk will skim over that and not see a problem.

9 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

I know that a lot of fans can’t distinguish between the spl and the spfl but I’d have thought the BBC would have been able to 

070ADA44-3A08-45DE-A120-6212415C15C3.jpeg

It's only been 10 years. Some people are clearly quite slow.

On 15/08/2023 at 17:42, VincentGuerin said:

Anybody seen any good films recently?

About journalists (for MonkeyTennis).

I've a screenplay written a bit like All The President's Men where two intrepid journalists investigate the Dundee covid relegation email fiasco and subsequent cover up. I envisage the big guy from Two Doors Down/ Taggart to play Bill Leckie and the Spud from Trainspotting fellow as Jim Spence. Guy Ritchie is definitely in to direct if this gets the green light from Paramount.

17 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

Quote below from a BBC news article regarding a bank holiday if England's ladies win the WC (ludicrous but an argument for elsewhere). So their team didn't actually win their version of the last Euros tournament  ?

"If they win on Sunday, they will become the first England football team to lift a major trophy since 1966".

In the interim, Scotland have won the Homeless Football World Cup twice. 

1 hour ago, Mr Meeker said:

I've a screenplay written a bit like All The President's Men where two intrepid journalists investigate the Dundee covid relegation email fiasco and subsequent cover up. I envisage the big guy from Two Doors Down/ Taggart to play Bill Leckie and the Spud from Trainspotting fellow as Jim Spence. Guy Ritchie is definitely in to direct if this gets the green light from Paramount.

The twist being that they don't investigate it at all as they need to do 500 words on "Five things we learned from Celtic Training" by lunchtime.

12 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

I know that a lot of fans can’t distinguish between the spl and the spfl but I’d have thought the BBC would have been able to 

You've greater expectations than most of the rest of us, they can't distinguish "senior leagues" from "national leagues", either.

On 16/08/2023 at 10:08, Billy Jean King said:

Nice wee reference to 1966 in the first paragraph of today’s match report too. 

“The Lionesses, looking to become the first England senior side since the men's team in 1966 to win the World Cup, suffered heartbreak after being outplayed by a Spanish side full of flair and creativity.”

This morning there was a BBC article about the women's World Cup with a title along the lines of "suddenly all anyone can talk about is 1966".

For the past 40 years, at least, all anyone in England has been able to talk about is 1966.