The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

18 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

The nick of this fluff piece by the BBC (Chris McLaughlin). No Chris not  "football supporters", in Scotland this is almost exclusively the fans of the two cheeks you are talking about.

Screenshot_20231026-075618_BBC News.jpg

You know fine rightly that football in Scotland is only the two cheeks.

The rest of us and our clubs are just lucky to be living in their world and sometimes mentioned as a footnote.

I'm assuming our game has been postponed?

Europa League LIVE: Olympiakos v West Ham, Liverpool v Toulouse & Brighton v Ajax score & updates - Live - BBC Sport

(And before anyone comments it also references the conference but not Aberdeen)

34 minutes ago, sugna said:

A snapshot taken sometime during the second half. Great effort from those stuffy Czech Republic minnows to hold out to the end.

SpartaHeadline.png.eaec9898728d6101cbd977f08ec42fc1.png

SpartaStats.png.a298921ba827c7814726f17b29d591c1.png

I'm sorry but there really is nothing to see here Sparta were much much better in the first in half and it looked like Rangers were on to a doing but second half was totally different. Both this snapshot and your interpretation doesn't tell the story at all really.

Edited by gannonball

41 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I'm sorry but there really is nothing to see here Sparta were much much better in the first in half and it looked like Rangers were on to a doing but second half was totally different. Both this snapshot and your interpretation doesn't tell the story at all really.

Then let me make it clearer.

When I went onto the website for a quick check on the game, the headline was about Rangers finding an opener. A glance at the stats showed that Sparta had taken 16 shots to 2 at that point. On reflection, it seemed to me that the headline was telling a different story to the stats. That level of journalism appears quite poor to me.

20 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Peter Martin thinks it is Hibs and Hearts fault that Rangers and Celtic cut each others allocations.......................

Peter “Martin” must be pushing his mid fifties and dresses like a twelve year old ned.  Therefore I reserve the right to completely disregard everything he ever says.  

edit: turns out Peter Martin is nearly 60.  

Edited by Savage Henry

32 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Peter “Martin” must be pushing his mid fifties and dresses like a twelve year old ned.  Therefore I reserve the right to completely disregard everything he ever says.  

He's got a face like a Halloween cake as well.

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

Known for talking crap as a journo and on the radio.  At least Roughie was a good goalie (debatable) and DJ was a tremendous footballer (even though he sent that BT Sport presenter to bat for the other side. )  Martins or whatever his name is is a crap Cameron, at least hes actually quite sounds for a gunt (sorry if gunts offensive). 

Edited by Hoose Rice

15 hours ago, Darren said:

Clue is in the name BBC. They're focusing on the British team.

If it had been Spartans v Rangers you'd have a point.

Yes, of course their focus is on the British team. Rangers should definitely be the subject in that headline sentence.

The idea that they were looking to "find [an] opener" at that stage seems quite inaccurate, given the stats. I don't see what's wrong with reflecting the actual game in the reporting (in fact, I suppose that's what this thread is about). "Rangers resisting Sparta pressure" would have been ideal.

It's quite similar to the almost standard headline the BBC use when either Celtic or Rangers gets a late equaliser in the league, and are described as having been "held to a draw".

4 hours ago, Leith Green said:

Peter Martin thinks it is Hibs and Hearts fault that Rangers and Celtic cut each others allocations.......................

What a load of shite he talks. Hibs and Hearts have only ever cut the away end allocation when there was ground redevelopment work going on and that was completed in 2010 at ER. Both Edinburgh clubs respect the Derby and have no interest in killing it the way the Ugly Sisters have.  I'm sure Leeann Dempster will be interested in his latest hot take.   

3 minutes ago, AndyM said:

What a load of shite he talks. Hibs and Hearts have only ever cut the away end allocation when there was ground redevelopment work going on and that was completed in 2010 at ER. Both Edinburgh clubs respect the Derby and have no interest in killing it the way the Ugly Sisters have.  I'm sure Leeann Dempster will be interested in his latest hot take.   

Hes thinking of LD cutting  rangers allocation the playoff match 2015.   Worst excuse ever though.

Edited by Hoose Rice

2 hours ago, sugna said:

Yes, of course their focus is on the British team. Rangers should definitely be the subject in that headline sentence.

The idea that they were looking to "find [an] opener" at that stage seems quite inaccurate, given the stats. I don't see what's wrong with reflecting the actual game in the reporting (in fact, I suppose that's what this thread is about). "Rangers resisting Sparta pressure" would have been ideal.

Have you ever watched a football game before? Teams who are under pressure are still allowed to score, and often do.

2 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

I say old Sky Sports chaps. Are you sure that’s now how you spell St Andrews?

IMG_1616.jpeg

IMG_1617.jpeg

The vidiprinter (if that's what it still is) had the same mistake.

This also seems an odd headline from the BBC, was there any combination of results today that would have meant St Mirren weren't third?

St Mirren punish lifeless St Johnstone to stay third