The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

Bbc Scotland news just after 5.00pm on Saturday - ‘ There were five games in the spl today and here are the results’. Now I know a lot of people think it doesn’t matter but there is no excuse for the national broadcaster getting the name of the main  football competition wrong      

Posted (edited)

I always laugh when folk say they can't keep up with all the changes to the name of the top league.

It's changed twice since 1975. It was called the Premier Division from 1975 until 1998. It was then called the SPL until 2013. From then it was the Premiership.

If anyone struggled/struggles with this then they're a moron.

Edited by DA Baracus

Posted (edited)

Now I know that other games will have attracted more interest yesterday, but for me, the Game of the Day was Stirling v Annan - a final game head to head which determined who finished 9th and went into the relegation play-off.  

Unless I'm missing something, the only mention of it on the BBC site apart from in the scores is this:

"Elsewhere in the third tier, Stirling Albion were held to a 1-1 draw by Annan Athletic and drop into the League 1 play-offs on goal difference behind Saturday's visitors."

In other news, we sacked Marvin Bartley, a fairly high profile figure, about 14 hours ago.  As far as I can tell, it's not mentioned anywhere.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

7 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

If anyone struggled/struggles with this then they're a moron.

Disagree. The “SPL” was a great bit of branding and rolls off the tongue, so people go into autopilot and just say it. We all know what they mean. 

The “premiership” needs “Scottish” added to it, to avoid confusion with south of the border. Nasty.

Im sure most of the people that say “SPL” know it is no longer called that but they are yearning for simpler times!

NB: those who correct people to “the Scottish Premiership” are virgins. No offence. 

1 hour ago, Muzza81 said:

The “premiership” needs “Scottish” added to it, to avoid confusion with south of the border. Nasty.

You mean the English Premier League, which hasn't been known as the Premiership for almost 20 years?

3 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Now I know that other games will have attracted more interest yesterday, but for me, the Game of the Day was Stirling v Annan - a final game head to head which determined who finished 9th and went into the relegation play-off.  

Unless I'm missing something, the only mention of it on the BBC site apart from in the scores is this:

"Elsewhere in the third tier, Stirling Albion were held to a 1-1 draw by Annan Athletic and drop into the League 1 play-offs on goal difference behind Saturday's visitors."

In other news, we sacked Marvin Bartley, a fairly high profile figure, about 14 hours ago.  As far as I can tell, it's not mentioned anywhere.

Has Ludo done a, who will be the next permanent manager of QotS poll yet?

1 hour ago, Muzza81 said:

Disagree. The “SPL” was a great bit of branding and rolls off the tongue, so people go into autopilot and just say it. We all know what they mean. 

Im sure most of the people that say “SPL” know it is no longer called that but they are yearning for simpler times!

NB: those who correct people to “the Scottish Premiership” are virgins. No offence. 

If they were yearning for simpler times they’d call it the first division

14 minutes ago, Darren said:

You mean the English Premier League, which hasn't been known as the Premiership for almost 20 years?

The very same. You ask random punters in the boozer what the “premiership” scores were and what do you think they will reel off? It certainly won’t be Motherwell v Dundee.

2 hours ago, Muzza81 said:

SPL wasn't just a frigging name!

This really bugs me.

55 minutes ago, bennett said:

Has Ludo done a, who will be the next permanent manager of QotS poll yet?

Not yet.

We're not sure if he stoops low enough to find sides like ours.

On 04/05/2024 at 02:02, The Master said:

The dumpster fire that is the new BBC Sport website keeps on delivering.

If you click through to a match from the fixture list, then click on "Tables", it shows you the final pre-split table despite it having today's date at the top.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/live/crgykez2nxyt#Tables

It’s still the situation today - I’m clicking on the link to the table based on the in game event at Ibrox. 

What a joke….

IMG_9702.thumb.jpeg.d1a62db3eec5dc3002fdb97c4c7079b9.jpeg

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/live/czkvp020917t#Tables