The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

A mention that East Fife v Alloa was on tonight, with the kick off time. 

And maybe a wee interview with one or both Managers. 

That's all Radio Scotland had to do. 

It wasn't so long ago that even the Bottom League in this Country got blanket coverage. 

One of the perks of social media is that journalists and their lies are exposed more regularly and they can be discredited with ease.

Another perk is that as more and more people adopt other platforms for their news the traditional news industry is on its knees. Their agendas/bias/shitehousery given less of a platform until eventual death. 

And if that means the likes of Jackson et al are out of a job then so be it. For too long have they rested on their laurels and not reported truthfully, honestly and without fear of repercussion from one or two Glasgow institutions. 

Happy days. 

Edited by shootingboots

1 hour ago, Rugster said:

We used to have guys like Jim Blair, Alan Davidson and Alex Cameron, now we've got trolling c***s like Chris Jack, Keith Jackson and Gordon Parks. No wonder newspaper sales are fucked.

You forgot Ian Archer too.

3 hours ago, TheScarf said:

I've read Smith's quote about the 8,000 Celtic fans about 15 times and I still can't work out what he means.

In the cold light of day I've re-examined his statement and I think it means the following... (1) he thinks Celtic get 60,000 for home games; (2) he thinks they took 8,000 to Pittodrie for an away game earlier in the season; (3) he thinks it would be good for the game if the remaining 52,000 got something to do; and (4) he thinks they'd watch a B side obtained by buying-out Airdrie/Clyde/Livingston/etc.

Flawless fact checking and logic on his and the Record's behalf, I'm sure we'll all agree.

Edited by HibeeJibee

Still no mention of tonight's clash at the Bayview Stadium on Radio Scotland's Sports News. 

Although, at 3pm, they gave us the breaking news that some dude from Celtic is hopeful of getting called up to the England International Squad, in the future. 

3 hours ago, jessmagic said:

That at home with the Ferguson's thing was a shambles. 

Can't believe I contributed towards the cost of that inane weegie patter fest.

I've seen a few folk mention this Fergusons at home thing - is this an actual feature that genuinely happened?

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Yup. Actual journalism is dead. It's all about getting clicks and buys now. These p***ks aren't journalists; they're salesmen.

And because folk get annoyed and share the utter dross the likes of Boyd and Smith have come out with in the past few days (and I'm as guilty of sharing the links as anyone), it is seen as what generates hits so more nonsense is produced to get even more hits.

Edited by Stu

8 minutes ago, Stu said:

I've seen a few folk mention this Fergusons at home thing - is this an actual feature that genuinely happened?

And because folk get annoyed and share the utter dross the likes of Boyd and Smith have come out with in the past few days (and I'm as guilty of sharing the links as anyone), it is seen as what generates hits so more nonsense is produced to get even more hits.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37977719

43 minutes ago, shull said:

Still no mention of tonight's clash at the Bayview Stadium on Radio Scotland's Sports News. 

Although, at 3pm, they gave us the breaking news that some dude from Celtic is hopeful of getting called up to the England International Squad, in the future. 

We had this discussion with a former BBC Scotland employee a couple of days ago at Uni. The reason it won't be given a shoutout is simple; BBC Radio Scotland is meant to be a Scottish alternative to Radio 4 or, at a push, 5Live. Agree or disagree with the principle, that's what it is and that's what it is there for.

Now only occasionally on 5Live have I heard them say something like "Scotland face Lithuania in Vilnius tonight in what is a must win game for Gordon Strachan's side, if they are to qualify for the World Cup 2026, Chick Young (still working at the BBC in this scenario) has more" *Chick tells us about why Jim Duffy should be Scotland manager* "Meanwhile in League One this evening Sheffield United host Rochdale at Bramall Lane with an 8pm kick off as Chick Young (well, they do use him for everything) reports" *Chick starts to ramble on*

I totally get why you are frustrated by it, however, unless East Fife are going to win the title tonight/have a high profile manager or player making their debut or something similar, it's unlikely to get airtime - just as it wouldn't on Radio 4 or 5Live.

Except that pish. 5 Live do discuss the lower leagues fairly often. They often have commentary from Championship games, and sometimes League 1 games. They even used to have a Football League Show (not sure if it still runs though).

33 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Except that pish. 5 Live do discuss the lower leagues fairly often. They often have commentary from Championship games, and sometimes League 1 games. They even used to have a Football League Show (not sure if it still runs though).

Fairly often? Yes in an evening on 5Live Sport in the same way as Sportsound should (but that's a topic for another time), but they rarely mention it in their news reports or on Afternoon Edition (for example). The only tend to do Championship games if they are big ones - something Radio Scotland did - or League One matches when they are really, really big. United v Wednesday for example a few years back. A lot of the time that's on Sports Extra too, which we don't have.

Radio Scotland do cover some lower league games, last week I listened to the Pars v Dundee United for example (I know it was a cup tie, but it's still two Championship teams). And they usually have people at quite a few games on a Saturday.

I'd love to see more local radio stations up here covering games. Eg a BBC Radio Fife, BBC Radio Highlands, BBC Radio Ayrshire etc like they have down south. Covering Raith Rovers, Elgin, Ayr whoever. It's not financially possible at all, but I love the fact you get Rochdale games on Radio Manchester or whatever.

Anyway, I was just giving an answer to Shull's complaints. I agree with him, it'd be great to have more coverage - but there's reasons why they don't.

18 hours ago, Nightmare said:

"Celtic played at Pittodrie recently and had maximum 8000 fans up there. But you have 60,000 at Parkhead every second week so that’s 52,000 empty seats. "

That's my favourite line. An absolute clusterfuck of nonsense.

Also my favourite bit.

I've no idea what it actually means.  Is he genuinely senile?

Fairly often? Yes in an evening on 5Live Sport in the same way as Sportsound should (but that's a topic for another time), but they rarely mention it in their news reports or on Afternoon Edition (for example). The only tend to do Championship games if they are big ones - something Radio Scotland did - or League One matches when they are really, really big. United v Wednesday for example a few years back. A lot of the time that's on Sports Extra too, which we don't have.

Radio Scotland do cover some lower league games, last week I listened to the Pars v Dundee United for example (I know it was a cup tie, but it's still two Championship teams). And they usually have people at quite a few games on a Saturday.

I'd love to see more local radio stations up here covering games. Eg a BBC Radio Fife, BBC Radio Highlands, BBC Radio Ayrshire etc like they have down south. Covering Raith Rovers, Elgin, Ayr whoever. It's not financially possible at all, but I love the fact you get Rochdale games on Radio Manchester or whatever.

Anyway, I was just giving an answer to Shull's complaints. I agree with him, it'd be great to have more coverage - but there's reasons why they don't.

I said this to my mate in work! Why do England have so many BBC radio stations whilst we just have Scotland? Or am I wrong saying that? The fa cup games highlights between ultimatate diddy clubs on BBC motd was dubbed over with local live radio coverage from BBC Shropshire and the like? Don't get it?

Would a BBC tayside for example with live commentary coverage of Dundee/United/Arbroath etc not be doable? Arbroaths games used to be broadcasted on a local radio running from our infirmary, no idea how they managed it but was worth a listen. For me anyway :P