Heart of Midlothian v St. Johnstone, 02/08/2015

Not bad return to the top flight. Players still need to gel and we have the Nigerian International left back to get in to the team. A bit worried about the goalkeeper as he was shown to not like physical attacking and that will be targeted now by everyone we play against.

How long can we keep Walker and Nicholson? 10 times the player Allan is and he gets the media all wet. Obviously Sevco and Jim Traynor know it is a lost cause even trying.

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can say what you want about football but I don't think Hearts fans should be so uppity about conceding 3 goals to a team that scored 34 total last season, that's without taking into account that we were missing a large chunk of our squad and that you really had 2 goals put on a plate for you.

I actually thought, for the most part, Hearts were very poor yesterday. Could be due to missing a couple of players, and others not being fully fit, but we didn't play as well as we can, IMO.

Still scored 4 though, so that's impressive - and I can't wait to see what we're like when we click.

Conceding 3 to a poor St Johnstone team is a cause for concern, however. The defence should come good once they gain an understanding of each others playing style, and gain fitness, but that will take time and in the mean time I think we could see a couple of 3-2's etc.

Felt both teams played it long too often, and there wasnt too much football on show. St Johnstone had the better of the first half in that regard, but felt they resorted to shelling it into the box for the majority of the second. For Hearts it was the opposite.

A draw would have been the fair result in a poor game, imo. Both teams were very poor defensively throughout, which I was surprised to see from St Johnstone.

Entertaining match though, and we look like we can cause all sorts of problems with our attacking players.

You can say what you want about football but I don't think Hearts fans should be so uppity about conceding 3 goals to a team that scored 34 total last season, that's without taking into account that we were missing a large chunk of our squad and that you really had 2 goals put on a plate for you.

Whereas your 3 goals were all brilliantly worked round our watertight backline.

We created 8 or 9 good chances. Some of that was horrible defending, Some of it excellent football. St Johnstone took advantage of us being a shambles at cross balls from set plays well but that'll iron itself out when they get games together.

I think its fair to say both sides will play better than that for the majority of the season

I think it's also fair to say there won't be much between the teams in other games this year and in the table come the end of the season. Both sides will in all likelihood finish around 4th or 5th with the potential to go on a run and finish 3rd depending on how teams like Motherwell and the Dundee sides shape up. Inverness will be well out of the race this year and finish comfortably in the bottom six. Hearts do have some excellent players in Walker, Nicholson and possibly Juanma but was hoping to see the highly rated Pallardo yesterday. Thought Gomis and Buaben looked rotten tbh, as did their defence. Alexander was a shambles.

I think both sides were missing important players.

We were missing 3 of our usual back 4, our first choice pairing at centre mid (after 20 minutes) and our main striker last season.

It's no surprise that we were poor defensively when the majority of what makes us strong at the back was missing. The most encouraging aspect from a Saints point of view was scoring 3 goals and actually looking reasonably dangerous in an away match.

Scobbie and McKay shouldn't play together again though. They brought out the absolute worst in each other. If Wright is able to walk, he just has to play until Anderson and Mackay are fit.

Desperate ifs and buts type post, imo.

The Deeboy can type pish alright. Spends more time on Hearts pages than Hibs fans, then cries for a ban when you hand him his erchie.

Trumpet.

There he is, Hearts resident fantasist homophobe. Surprised you've lasted so long tbh.

This thread barely disturbs the needle on the Gorgie uppity meter.

Think we will be hard pressed to be more entertained than the second half of yesterday all season. Yes there were mistakes and the football wasn't great but for drama and excitement it was excellent to watch.

I've got a hard on for Juanma already I've gotta say. Not convinced about his finishing (even his goal wasn't exactly stroked in the corner) but his first touch, movement and close control had me purring. The touch away from the defender in the build up to the penalty was absolutely sublime.

I actually thought St Johnstone were the better side in a forgettable first half. We went too long at times and defence were at sixes and sevens at times.

Second half Walker and Nicholson came into it and Cpatz delivered more good crosses yesterday than most of last season. His one-two with Walker for his goal was sublime, some fucking header.

I love Gomis as well. A proper hatchet man. Went flying into tackles yesterday and they were getting progressively worse until he finally got the booking that he was due all afternoon. No nonsense. Bauben was way off the pace though.

Think we will be hard pressed to be more entertained than the second half of yesterday all season. Yes there were mistakes and the football wasn't great but for drama and excitement it was excellent to watch.

Aye, although the defending was poor, I'd always far rather see good attacking and goals. I think everybody would.

If this played out in an EPL game they'd be chugging themselves wild rather than merely picking faults.

Whereas your 3 goals were all brilliantly worked round our watertight backline.

We created 8 or 9 good chances. Some of that was horrible defending, Some of it excellent football. St Johnstone took advantage of us being a shambles at cross balls from set plays well but that'll iron itself out when they get games together.

Same could be said for both teams. I'm sure neither will leak goals as much as yesterday would suggest. It was a freakishly one off game that comes around now and again and there was various mitigating factors for that.

Could just as easily have been 8-6 or 7-7 given the clearance of the line and passed up opportunities at both ends.

Yep.. and Hearts were basically Barcelona.

At least there was a little variety to our play in the second half. Although I suppose you could argue sometimes St Johnstone threw it into the box and sometimes punted it in there.

Don't think we're being 'uppity' about losing 3 goals - more pissed off at how sloppy we were in losing them - especially the first.

You put one goal on a plate for us - the pen came from great skill from Juanma, the winner came from a great cross, and Paterson's movement for his goal was brilliant.

Certainly was one time in the second half I thought O'Halloran went down to easy.

I thought Nicholson's penalty was soft myself.

It was Sow who took the soft penalty.

As surely you can't mean Nicholson being cleaned out by your goalie as being soft?

Archived