Scottish Cup winners vs Play Off winners

It's only a week away so time to get started.

Inverness may be a bit sharper than us since they've had two competitive games and are no longer Europa League virgins. From the outside looking in they look weaker upfront with McKay, Watkins and Ofere away. Is Dani Lopez any good? I'd never heard of him.

For us hopefully we have a new keeper in place. Ainsworth is suspended for battering Sevco so that will make us a bit weaker as his pace will be missed on the counter. It will be interesting who replaces him either Thomas or chalmers you'd think and who's gonna partner skippy up front.

Hopefully ICT have a euro hangover 2-1 Motherwell is my prediction

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's only a week away so time to get started.

Inverness may be a bit sharper than us since they've had two competitive games and are no longer Europa League virgins. From the outside looking in they look weaker upfront with McKay, Watkins and Ofere away. Is Dani Lopez any good? I'd never heard of him.

For us hopefully we have a new keeper in place. Ainsworth is suspended for battering Sevco so that will make us a bit weaker as his pace will be missed on the counter. It will be interesting who replaces him either Thomas or chalmers you'd think and how partners skippy up front.

Hopefully ICT have a euro hangover 2-1 Motherwell is my prediction

Doesn't really look like it so far, yet to score for us even in pre-season games. Hoping Foran is fit enough to start up top rather than Lopez.

I hope we give Motherwell a guard of honour onto the pitch for keeping that manky mob down in the Championship.

As for the game itself I've a feeling we might struggle early doors. I've not seen any of the friendlies and only seen us play Astra in Inverness (as well as on a dodgy internet feed for the second league) but what was evident was how poor we were up front. We created a decent number of (half) chances but no one could put them away. With a Mckay type striker there's no reason why we couldn't have advanced in Europe. Lopez looks very off the pace but I don't think he is an out and out striker. Hopefully Hughes has something up his sleeve otherwise I can see us dominating games but maybe not capitalising on our dominance as we did last season. With the departures of players like Ross and Watkins our forward line looks weaker overall as well compared to this time last season but in midfield and defence we are still pretty solid however I really don't want to see Meekings playing at RB and Raven at LB.

Hope we go with some like:

Fôn Williams

Raven Warren Meekings Shinnie Tremarco ( :unsure: )

Wedderburn Draper

Christie Tansey Doran

Lopez

I've not really got much of a clue what Motherwell and other sides have been up to since the end of last season. Wouldn't surprise me to see us dominate the game, Motherwell take the lead but we rescue a point late on with a scrambled effort from someone. To be honest I'm just glad the football is back. Saturday's are shite without it.

Going to be heading up to this one. Any pub recommendations?

The Auctioneers in the 'city' centre is not bad. Decent selection of beers, alright grub and plenty of TV's with the fitba on. Although in saying that it'll be full of Celtic 'fans' watching their game at lunchtime.

Johnny Foxes is the place to be at night if you're staying over.

It's not too bad for Celtic fans these days. Only usually a handful watching their games. And there's no raging triumphalism when they win like their is from their fellow bigots in blue.

Guest Bushel o' Bricks

Looking forward to this one. A tricky match to start the season but undoubtedly one of the best away days.

With Ainsworth suspended, I'd like to see Dom Thomas given a chance from the start. He looked highly impressive when coming on a substitute on a number of occasions last season and should pose a real threat on the counter attack. I'd imagine our line up will look like this:

-------------------Twardzik-------------------

Law------Laing------McManus------Hammell

Johnson-----Lasley----Pearson-----Thomas

----------Clarkson-------McDonald----------

Looks like a decent enough side on paper, although it remains to be seen which striking partnership will be Baraclough's first choice with Moult and Fletcher having arrived in the summer too. Inverness have lost two key players in Shinnie and Watkins but retained the majority of the side that performed so well last season; the likes of Lopez and Wedderburn are unproven at this level and it'll be interesting to see how they do.

It's difficult to make a prediction when it's the first league game of the season but if pressed I'd go with a 1-1 draw.

Going to be heading up to this one. Any pub recommendations?

I would definitely recommend going to at least one.

Depends upon what your after exactly?

Decent number catering for most tastes.

Can't see it being anyone but Moult partnering McDonald on Saturday, and expect that to be our first choice striking partnership for the season when both are fit. The big man looked to have played well when coming on against Preston and took his goal well.

--------------------Fon Williams------------------------

Raven------Warren-------Meekings--------Williams

---------------Draper--------Tansey--------------------

------Doran-------------------------------Roberts------

-----------------------Christie----------------------------

------------------------López-----------------------------

...or something. Wedderburn and Devine are probably just as likely to start as a couple of the players in that line-up. If we sign Mbuyi-Mutombo by Saturday I can see him replacing Roberts as well, as the latter is probably still not fit. I think it will rain and the score will be 1-1.

I'd imagine it'd either be Moult/Fletcher alongside McDonald. Given Skippy's missed a few weeks of pre-season I'd think you'd probably see him and Clarkson rotate.

As much as the rest of the team seems to pick itself at the moment I wouldn't be totally shocked to see Watt in at right back or Chalmers on the left of midfield with Johnson starting on the right and have Dom Thomas getting maybe 25-30 mins rather than the 10-15min cameos he had last season.

Archived