Scottish Cup winners vs Play Off winners

Wasn't at the game, but followed it every tweet of the way. Excellent performance and great result. What a difference having a 6'3'' keeper does for you.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a disorganised mess that side looks (on paper). How many players did we have out of position? Considering we've lost two strikers and a left back (three of our best players) why haven't we signed a left-back?

We are this season's Motherwell.

A truly honking performance from ICT with the tone set early on when Warren hacked down Skippy after only a few minutes of the game gone with our fragmented side struggling to settle into anything approaching a rhythm. As was so often the case with Inverness when Hughes first arrived we were architects of our own downfall and helped Well score the first goal. A slack pass by Tansey was eagerly seized upon by Well and it looked like Fletcher and McDonald linked well to create a chance which was well saved by Fon Williams however he couldn't collect the ball and Fletcher followed in from\close range to put Well ahead.

As anyone who has seen an ICT game this season will know we have a lot of the ball but do absolutely nothing with it. As Motherwell sat back and defended in numbers ICT stroked the ball about with no real creative spark to open up the Steelmen. Even on the odd occasion when a break could have been on we seemed content to advance slowly out of defence and keep the ball rather than go for the jugular and try and get right at Well. At one point, collecting the ball from a wasted Motherwell corner we had all of our players within about 10 - 15 yards of the ball in a couple of big lines with no one further ahead of the player with the ball and no one seemingly trying to get into space to try and stretch the remaining defenders. We were exceptionally sluggish whereas Motherwell were much more direct and aggressive with and without the ball chasing it down and snapping into tackles making it hard for us to settle things down.

McDonald missed a penalty after Johnson showed great skill to roll his marker and sprinted into the box only to fall over under what looked like minimal contact from Devine. Regardles, Allan gave a penalty and Fon Williams did well to block McDonalds spot kick which was a nice height for the keeper to get to and keep out. Wedderburn, who was struggling with the quickness of Motherwell players closing him down, was subbed for Mutombo who injected a bit more creativity and pace into a lackadaisical ICT side.

This was pretty much how the first half played out with the only other notable talking point being what looked like a horrendous challenge by Pearson on Warren which resulted in the ICT defender having to be subbed off. Pearson looked like he launched himself hard into a challenge going well over the ball with studs showing. It seemed a clear red card but fortunately for Pearson Allan only showed him a yellow. Pearson himself went off later on as he seemed to injure himself in the tackle as well. Will be interesting to see it again on the highlights if its covered.

Motherwell started the second half on top and ICT again were in a mess at the back. Some good work down the Well right led to a good chance to extend their lead but fortunately an effort by Fletcher (I think) hit the post / was saved for Fon Williams. Not long after that Chalmers (I think) who was still up from a corner looked certain to score as he waited to tuck away a loose ball from only inches out but somehow Draper came in to clear the ball away.

The second half largely replicated the first with Well starting strongly and ICT struggling to create anything. A half hearted penalty claim from Tansey who looked like he may have been clipped in the box and a free kick late on from the same player which was headed wide were as close as ICT came to threatening anything close to a goal in a match that was not high on thrills.

A good win for Motherwell who looked comfortable throughout but a concerning defeat ICT who, despite missing a lot of first team players, struggled again to create any really good scoring chances. With Meekings and Warren both coming off injured our back four is completely unrecognisable from that of last season. If we aren't going to score then we could at least have looked to a relatively resolute defence to keep the opposition out. It will be interesting to see how a potentially patchwork backline deals with the upcoming games against Saint Johnstone and Partick.

That was embarrassing.

Having players out of position was no excuse for that, we had an entire midfield who weren't out of position and never got going nor created anything for our forwards attacking midfielders. Can't blame our attacking players entirely, they just aren't up to the job with this combination of players in the opposition half. What has Yogi got against having strikers in the team, are we going to have to wait half a season for Lopez to start scoring or are we going to strengthen up top?.

Our supposed engine room Tansey and Draper were dreadful, Draper looks right off just now and Tansey who should provide some ammunition for Lopez and Christie was wasteful. Christie should have been pulled off but who would we replace him with?. Big Wedderburn who to be fair tried hard before being replaced just looked slow and ponderous at this level and just epitomised Yogi's negative tactics. I didn't even realise Williams was playing until he showed up stand side in the 2nd half. Our two out of place full backs I thought did well, Meekings got forward as much as possible although his crossing wasn't that great, Raven I thought was our best player, absolutely worked his socks off.

Pleased also with Dan Devine and Fon Williams, Williams plus marks for that penalty save cancelling out a very very soft penalty award by ref Crawford Allan.

A small plus mark for Mutombo who looked lively when he came on and with a bit more cohesion ie link up play with the other team members could be a worthwhile addition to the team.

Not taking this away from Motherwell, they looked solid without being overwhelmingly good and have a confidence building first win, they should be safe this season. I'm starting to think Astra were not as good as they were cracked up to be and we talked ourselves up far too much and started to believe our own crap about being 3rd best team in the country. Forget the Scottish Cup win, we need to focus on the here and now.

Yogi needs to sort this out fast.

A truly honking performance from ICT with the tone set early on when Warren hacked down Skippy after only a few minutes of the game gone with our fragmented side struggling to settle into anything approaching a rhythm. As was so often the case with Inverness when Hughes first arrived we were architects of our own downfall and helped Well score the first goal. A slack pass by Tansey was eagerly seized upon by Well and it looked like Fletcher and McDonald linked well to create a chance which was well saved by Fon Williams however he couldn't collect the ball and Fletcher followed in from\close range to put Well ahead.

As anyone who has seen an ICT game this season will know we have a lot of the ball but do absolutely nothing with it. As Motherwell sat back and defended in numbers ICT stroked the ball about with no real creative spark to open up the Steelmen. Even on the odd occasion when a break could have been on we seemed content to advance slowly out of defence and keep the ball rather than go for the jugular and try and get right at Well. At one point, collecting the ball from a wasted Motherwell corner we had all of our players within about 10 - 15 yards of the ball in a couple of big lines with no one further ahead of the player with the ball and no one seemingly trying to get into space to try and stretch the remaining defenders. We were exceptionally sluggish whereas Motherwell were much more direct and aggressive with and without the ball chasing it down and snapping into tackles making it hard for us to settle things down.

McDonald missed a penalty after Johnson showed great skill to roll his marker and sprinted into the box only to fall over under what looked like minimal contact from Devine. Regardles, Allan gave a penalty and Fon Williams did well to block McDonalds spot kick which was a nice height for the keeper to get to and keep out. Wedderburn, who was struggling with the quickness of Motherwell players closing him down, was subbed for Mutombo who injected a bit more creativity and pace into a lackadaisical ICT side.

This was pretty much how the first half played out with the only other notable talking point being what looked like a horrendous challenge by Pearson on Warren which resulted in the ICT defender having to be subbed off. Pearson looked like he launched himself hard into a challenge going well over the ball with studs showing. It seemed a clear red card but fortunately for Pearson Allan only showed him a yellow. Pearson himself went off later on as he seemed to injure himself in the tackle as well. Will be interesting to see it again on the highlights if its covered.

Motherwell started the second half on top and ICT again were in a mess at the back. Some good work down the Well right led to a good chance to extend their lead but fortunately an effort by Fletcher (I think) hit the post / was saved for Fon Williams. Not long after that Chalmers (I think) who was still up from a corner looked certain to score as he waited to tuck away a loose ball from only inches out but somehow Draper came in to clear the ball away.

The second half largely replicated the first with Well starting strongly and ICT struggling to create anything. A half hearted penalty claim from Tansey who looked like he may have been clipped in the box and a free kick late on from the same player which was headed wide were as close as ICT came to threatening anything close to a goal in a match that was not high on thrills.

A good win for Motherwell who looked comfortable throughout but a concerning defeat ICT who, despite missing a lot of first team players, struggled again to create any really good scoring chances. With Meekings and Warren both coming off injured our back four is completely unrecognisable from that of last season. If we aren't going to score then we could at least have looked to a relatively resolute defence to keep the opposition out. It will be interesting to see how a potentially patchwork backline deals with the upcoming games against Saint Johnstone and Partick.

Father-Ted-27.gif

A comfortable win for us and we really ought to have scored more than 1. Inverness had plenty of possession but looked very toothless up front. Very pleased too to see a clean sheet. Ripley looks impressive and Laing strolled through the game.

I thought Warren was very fortunate not be sent off early doors for a shocking tackle on MacDonald. The penalty was very soft and I probably would not have given it.

Good start for us.

I thought Warren was very fortunate not be sent off early doors for a shocking tackle on MacDonald.

I thought that tackle was stupid, but not malicious. Pearson's on Warren on the other hand looked callous and calculated.

I thought that tackle was stupid, but not malicious. Pearson's on Warren on the other hand looked callous and calculated.

They won't cover them on Sportscene given the PishHighlights© packages that they use but I thought both tackles were reckless rather than malicious - and both could easily have been reds on another day.

I was really heartened by todays performance - last season we beat St Mirren on the first day of the season but we were shite - today, we looked sharp and pressed ICT well int he first half and carved out all of the games chances. First time I've seen the new players and I was impressed with Fletcher especially but Chalmers was decent and Ripley had a confident first game and got a lesser spotted clean sheet. Big Laing looked right up for it today and was MotM for me. A special mention for Lasley's tackle at the end - amazing stuff.

Marvin running in to score (and making a total c**t of it) was a very weird incident - why ICT put the ball out for a throw when they were in possession and under no pressure is a total mystery. Not as much of a mystery as to why the ref (who was largely poor) decided to talk to him afterwards as he hadn't broken any rule and had every right to do what he did regardless of the "good sport" argument....

Not long back, cracking away day in Inverness with a decent 'Well support.

I would talk about how utterly dominant we were but I believe the highlights say it all...

Marv :wub:

That run for the penalty was sensational, even if the pen was soft as f**k. He was unplayable at times today, with Fletcher also proving to be a real handful for the Inverness defence. Laing strolled it and Lasley was immense throughout with the number of Inverness attacks he broke up.

Could and sould have won by three or four in the end but the signs are positive and I'll take three points and a clean sheet every day of the week. Just one game but it was night and day from the turgid shite we were served up for the majority of last season. Bit like Inverness today who failed to register a single shot on target at home in 90 mins. However you can only beat what's in front of you and today was a very good start.

Cautiously optimistic.

Not long back, cracking away day in Inverness with a decent 'Well support.

I would talk about how utterly dominant we were but I believe the highlights say it all...

Marv :wub:

That run for the penalty was sensational, even if the pen was soft as f**k. He was unplayable at times today, with Fletcher also proving to be a real handful for the Inverness defence. Laing strolled it and Lasley was immense throughout with the number of Inverness attacks he broke up.

Could and sould have won by three or four in the end but the signs are positive and I'll take three points and a clean sheet every day of the week. Just one game but it was night and day from the turgid shite we were served up for the majority of last season. Bit like Inverness today who failed to register a single shot on target at home in 90 mins. However you can only beat what's in front of you and today was a very good start.

Cautiously optimistic.

Clubber Laing taking a dig from the centre circle?

I admire the confidence.

Playing lots of passes without looking like scoring sounds like John Hughes all over. Surely the Caley fans aren't doubting the Manager of the Year?

No, John Hughes is an ICT legend and he will turn this around. #IYWT

Bit surprised that Motherwell didn't include any of the ICT chances from the game. We did after all have a whole three shots with none on target.

I sincerely hope Warren doesn't have a serious injury - but the sight of him being wheeled round the track in the sort of bath chair used to take geriatrics for a pish in an old folks home was very funny indeed.

JS69293879.jpg

Archived