Toy Story - Mafia Game Thread

Countyfan was offering up some decent posts without being in the firing line. I think we should look more into his posts in the morning to see if there's any accusations he's been throwing out that may have been a bit close to the bone for the mafia's liking.

• Replies 831
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does the Mafia kill strike anyone else as odd?

In what way? They're always going to kill a villager, every now & again they will get lucky & kill one who has powers.

Or are you just referring to "Mafia NK" - I assumed it stood for "night kill"

Countyfan was offering up some decent posts without being in the firing line. I think we should look more into his posts in the morning to see if there's any accusations he's been throwing out that may have been a bit close to the bone for the mafia's liking.

Looks dodgy if you unvote gtg two days on the trot after kicking up such a storm.

So, after a bit of a re-charge I want to have a look at the comments against DavidMcG. Firstly, I don't really buy the reasoning, or should I say, I can understand what people are saying it but I just don't think it is likely to be correct. If he was mafia then his actions in pushing against Turbo in such a manner were silly. I can't imagine someone in the mafia being so bold as to do that when they would know it would bring pressure back on them the next day. I am more would rather look at the more cagey votes that were conducted against turbo or have a look at those people who were moving around at the end last night.

This brings me onto a few of those actions that I have so far looked at:

NoW has been all over the shop and whilst I appreciate what people are saying about him, that doesn't mean he isn't actually a member of the mafia. I gave some of my reasons for voting him yesterday and this hasn't changed, espcially with his quick jump to bandwagon Turbo the moment he could put some sort of weak reason for it.

If NOW is mafia then that calls into questions some of the actions recently undertaken.

Ludo has been a big proponent of saying that NOW always acts in this way so we shouldn't assume he is mafia. He of course then also says that he is a poor village player and can cause more harm than good. He does then vote for NoW but this is then reveresed when he decides that he suspects David more than Turbo so would rather see David go out as it looked like the vote was coming down between the two of them. Things then change around a bit with the later votes and in the last 5 minutes it moves back to being Turbo vs NOW with only Mr Brightside's last minute vote ensuring there wasn't a draw to see who went out. What I want to know is why he didn't move his vote back to NoW when his original reason for swapping was no longer valid. To me, it smells like someone trying to make it look like they were willing to vote for someone but weren't really. When I add this in to his many comments regarding NOW acting like mafia when he isn't it does appear a bit dodgy to me.

My initial view here would be to still hit NOW and if he turns up as Mafia it would be to go after Ludo.

However, I am going to take a closer look at the thread and think about it some more, especially in relation to some of the people who voted turbo at the end like Marko and Mr Brightside. I am also curious about the Kyle votes as at first glance it did look like he was trying to save Turbo and seemed pretty confident he was innocent. Yes a few of us agreed but Kyle seemed pretty determined on this.

Right - I'll get a chance to read through this tomorrow morning, but that's likely to be me until after the deadline.

I'm going to stick with vote DavidMcG unless I see some compelling evidence to change my mind.

My reasons?

1) Chief instigator of the lynchmob that chased Turbo

2) His claim to have begun the game with some knowledge.

Other contenders?

1) DarkBlue62 or Diamonds - at least one mafia will have been on the "safe" votes at the bottom of the list.

2) Diamonds (again) or Kyle - See David's post where he suggests who to target tomorrow. He names 3 players (including me) and at least one of the other 2 will be a bluff

The innocent?

1) NOW is just having his usual nightmare. He can be ignored tomorrow.

2) Ludo appears to be thinking along similar lines to me

The rest of you? Who knows!

I assume mean GY rather than me?

I can see I have (maybe understandably) picked up a few votes from last night after the lynching of Turbo and will no doubt seem like an easy target for mafia members and some innocents who don't have a lot else to go on so far.

I would ask that you at least read my defence, my reasons for voting for Turbo.

Initially I didn't suspect Turbo but was looking at players who hadn't participated in the game at that point so made a post highlighting that Turbo had yet to post.

His defence seemed to be attacking me with three statements that were very weak and in my opinion all nonsense - a reminder:

- he stated that I hadn't contributed to the game (same as him) even though I was at that time the top poster on the thread

- he stated that I had had been lurking at that moment without posting - even though I came on to the thread and then posted which sparked this conversation

- he stated that I had pointed out his inactivity but not others - despite me saying in the noted post that he was the only one who hadn't posted which was fact and it was clear in what I was saying.

After this, Turbo was in my opinion showing more signs of guilt than anyone else at that point. Remember this was day one with little to go on so I still believe that was more than most at the time so he was my prime suspect.

Turbo then started showing more signs of weird behaviour - the stuff about the PM's, the mistake/poorly worded post where he admitted he was mafia. I believe it was this point where I voted for him and was confident he was mafioso.

He then had a very poorly worded post where in my opinion he was blatantly hinting at being the investigator. Whilst I appreciate he technically didn't say this, from reading the post that's how it sounded and I'm sure I'm not the only only one who thought that from his post. It was after this in which I could be accused of 'aggressively' insisting that he was mafia because at that point I was sure.

It inevitably turned out that Turbo was a civi so I can only put that down to Turbo having a shocker with all the above and leading me to believe he was mafia. Yes I was wrong (as many others were too remember) but I believe all the above reasons gave me just cause for calling him out as mafia. He certainly came across more guilty than any other player on day one.

I will post my thoughts in a few hours on who I believe to be most guilty now and will do a run down on the players and my thoughts. Obviosuly since Turbos reveal as a civi that has changed my opinions on those who I thought were maybe guilty pre deadline.

I have read the entire thread again with an open mind and new information. These are posts that I find interesting. It will probably need to be split into 2 or 3 posts.

Who was it that was famous for going back through the thread and digging up loads of old evidence to prevent their case? Was that Ludo? Or maybe Nocturnal Groove?

Might seem like nothing but I interpreted this as David planting the seed of doubt about Ludo. Talking nostalgically about mafia games is not something in itself to be suspicious about but this was out of nowhere. I doubt David really doesn't know who created Ludo's Supsicions as it is a memorable trope in mafia game history.

Ludos suspicions! That was it! You used to crack them out sometimes when you were mafia to deflect attention

This further enhanced my suspicion. As Ludo pointed out at some point in the discussion, David is sowing the seeds for Ludo to be labelled mafia when he inevitably dissects the game (like this very post).

Ludo has so far made about 6 posts on this thread and 5 of them have been shots/accusations against 5 different people! Onions, Sooky, Bonksy, me and Gy.

Very early days of course but very attacking behaviour right off the bat. Hmmm

I don't think Ludo's behaviour at this stage of the game was attacking. He didn't even address Onions, the "shot" against Sooky was an obvious attempt at humour and same with GY. David is fabricating events to look like Ludo is acting suspiciously.

I'm calling bullsh*t on this Turbo.

1. Why was I on thread not contributing? I believe I was or am the top poster on this thread so far. You may argue the content or quality of my posts but to say I'm not contributing is utter rubbish.

2. Why was I lurking in thread not engaging? Emm....I checked pie and Bov saw there was new posts on this thread so checked them out then posted my post about who hadn't been active. I'm not sure what else I should have been doing. Very strange thing for you to point out.

3. Why you? At the time everyone else on the thread had posted apart from you. I did point that out in the post you responded to! After all that was the point of the post.

The three things above seem super defensive and frankly all nonsense statements. Add that to the fact you posted 20mins after I called out your inactivity seems more suss than anyone else so far.

Nobody else has voted yet I believe so I'll kick off.

Vote Turbo

The only person so far that has genuinely posted absolute nonsense to try and defend themselves. People may find that weak but it's first day so have to go on something.

I can't remember why I quoted this post. I obviously thought there was something significant in it.

Because I seem to be going all out for David. There's nothing to say that we're not both members of the mafia, I can appreciate that as that tactic has been used several times before. My point, however, was that if David was lynched, and proved to be innocent, my posts would be looked at in a much different light as tends to be the norm - and even reading them back myself, it wouldn't look good.

I just truly believe there's something up with David though and whilst that may not single him out as a mafia member, I think it's the best reason to go for so far - although as I've said, Marko's point about Turbo is one that has me swithering and may be the more sound choice to go for on the first night.

Ludo makes a big deal about him and David being on opposite sides - something I picked up on at the time. However, it's the second paragraph that makes me dig deeper. He "truly believes" that David is supsicious, but then gives some hesitation and encourages others to vote for Turbo because of a point made by MarkoRaj. He has been very single minded in his focus towards David but is suddenly willing to go in a different direction.

I can't see how this one is even possible. It was David that called out Turbo, and he got extremely defensive about it.

So Ludo is suspicious of Turbo now as well? But he said this earlier in the thread...

I think there's something very strange going on with David (gtg) and I've already highlighted my points as to why, but he's still not answered any of my points and furthermore, his vote against Turbo just sticks out as being desperate rubbish. The only thing that he has going in his favour right now, is that I have such respect for the type of game he could play - if he was mafia - would he genuinely come away with such rubbish and show his hand this easily?

I appreciate if I'm wrong on this, I'll look like a nailed on mafia member, but his posts are the best leads I have thus far so I simply have to:

Vote DavidMcG

He says that David's accusation of Turbo is "desperate rubbish" but then goes on to suggest he is unsure of Turbo because of his extreme defensiveness.

Have to agree with you Kyle, I think whilst I've built a semi-decent first day case against David, I feel I've been a bit hasty in voting for him when NOW is posting stuff like that. Might change closer to the deadline, but for now I'll Unvote DavidMcG.

For me right now, it's between David or NOW for my first day vote.

Ludo unvotes David because he thought NOW was acting a bit more suspicious. Why unvote David then decide later if he is going to vote for him again? Why not wait then change his vote if he suspects NOW? I think Ludo is waiting to see how the voting pans out so he can decide what side to be on. He's not taking any responsibility for his own opinions again. He suspects David strongly throughout but then unvotes him to see where the rest of the village goes with it.

:lol:

Oh Turbo.......

Unvote Ludo Vote Turbo_dee.

Leading up to this point, Turbo has made the famous post that he used poor phrasing in. That's clearly all it was and I was eager to see who would jump on it as a reason to vote for him. NOW did so almost immediately. Very questionable behaviour.

Turbo is going down and by claiming so outrightly to be the investigator, he is trying to draw out the real investigator for his mafia buddies to spot.

DO NOT FALL FOR IT OR REVEAL YOURSELF

smart enough players will know I Am right about this

No, this isn't what happened, David. Right now, I am willing to put this down to self-preservation. David was in the mix at this stage as a possible lynch candidate so trying to come up with anything to put on Turbo.

It's done the opposite for me. It's made me think Turbo is actually being lynched with his own noose but without just cause. David is still screaming mafia to me.

Look, David is "screaming" mafia to Ludo. That's strong wording, you'd think he was going to vote for him.

Vote NOW

Just the blatant bandwagon-ish behaviour of it all combined with the fact that I don't think he'd be a great loss even if he was a villager! I simply can't believe Turbo would make as big a mistake as that. I'd still have David as a suspect ahead of Turbo.

On the other hand, if Turbo does go out and does prove to be mafia, it leaves a few people looking very suspect as GingerSaint points out.

Oh wait, he voted for NOW 8 minutes previously. Whilst there is now a legitimate reason for voting against NOW (his bandwagon behaviour as pointed out), he still maintains that David is guilty.

Right - since it seems to be between David and Turbo in terms of the vote discussion (I realise NOW is in a slight lead in terms of votes) at this late stage, and David seems desperate using all caps and all that, to convince players Turbo is in the mafia - I'm going to change my vote back to David. He simply appears to be much more likely to be in the mafia to me at this stage than Turbo does. All I've seen is Turbo trying his best to hang himself, and would a mafia member be silly enough to do that (NOW excepted)?

Unvote NOW, Vote DavidMcG.

13 minutes after voting for NOW, Ludo changes his vote again. The vote count at this stage was Turbo 6, NOW 4 and David 3 (if we exclude Sooky's vote which was posted at the same time). There were very few noteworthy posts between his vote switch, so why would he do this? My personal belief is that Ludo and David are both mafia. They have fabricated conflict and reinforced that they are both on opposite sides. Ludo has been strong in his convictions against David in his posts, but never followed it through with his voting pattern. His reluctance to vote for David until it looked like Turbo was a goner is highly suspicious to me. With that move, amongst the eyes of the village he will now look to have been the front runner in the battle against David, but his actions never reflected that.

Vote DavidMcG.

I told you from the start. No-one believed me. It's the obvious choice. His attempt to try and say Turbo was saying he was another character, and swearing that he was in the mafia. Gtg simply has to go.

Getting in early before the bandwagon. Savvy move. I will vote for either Ludo or David later, depending on which one is more likely to be lynched.

Now some other thoughts on minor goings on.

I'm struggling to follow this so far no one is standing out as overly suspicious to me. I tend agree that it makes sense for the Mafia to keep their heads low in the early stages but the more experienced players will know this and potentially play a double bluff.

Anyway I'm going to vote Gingersaint no real reason I should be more involved in the game tomorrow been out of the office today and I'm a bit sleepy. It is getting late for me as I am an old dinosaur

Now I feel like a total spud

Thanks for the advice Pete

Diamonds has hinted at 3 different roles, all innocent. What is going on here?

This Ludo character is suspect IMO. Let's have a quick look at what's just happened:

I've entered the thread asking an innocuous question regarding the rules. Airdrie Onions replies trying to be funny/have a bit of banter - I think he can be best ignored for now. It's Ludo's reaction I find more interesting and slightly sinister. He's jumped on Airdrie Onion's comments about 'it being a typical mafia thing to say', thereby trying to highlight this exchange further and offered a comment which is non-committal, whilst acknowledging that what Airdrie Onions has said could be correct. It's clear he is trying to influence other posters' thinking and insinuating that I should be a suspect. He's done this whilst attempting to appear neutral on the matter.

Food for thought, people.

Bonksy very reactionary about Ludo being vaguely negative towards him in a post. Bonksy later voted for Ludo because of his so called aggressiveness - did he feel threatened?

I would also like to talk about Kyle. Something didn't feel right last night and reading through the thread again I think it was because his opinion changed quickly on a couple of different people. However, the running theme throughout his posts has been to defend the active and experienced players because of their ability to change the game. He did this with Ludo, David and Turbo before things started to heat up. Then he leaned towards being suspicious of Turbo before ultimately defending him hard. I think his opinion was swayed by the Turbo typo, thinking that if he was mafia he wouldn't be so silly. I floated a theory that Kyle was in with David and Ludo as mafia for a while but I don't have anything to back that up after reading the thread again. I'm still unsure about him.

My thoughts so far

Ludo and GingerSaint

Without wanting to inflate their already massive egos, they are quite clearly the two best players in the game in my opinion and have shown this in past games. Ludo in particular has quite an aggressive style at times and certainly doesn't shy away from the action. This always puts him in the firing line for most games including this one so he is always liable to pick up a few votes. However Ludo is also a very clever player and often comes good with his predicitions and more often than not picks up on subtle hints from players and manages to read players in a certain way. Very early doors, I was suspicious of him as I always am but I don't believe he is showing any signs of being mafia and we need this type of player in the game to suss out the bad guys. GingerSaint has a different style to Ludo but equally as effective, he is very methodical player and seems to do a good job of weighing up all options and asking the right questions. If GingerSaint was mafia then I think it would be extermely difficult to pick it up from his posts, I don't know if he is or isn't mafia but he is too clever to be caught out stupidly and would require some concrete evidence to get rid of him I reckon if he was mafia.

The Real Saints, Kyle and gydiamond

All three are very experienced players and have had moments of magic in previous games and should in theory be able to influence games to suit their need. This next statement probably won't go down well and lead to more votes from me but fcuk it I'm being honest. In my opinion Gydiamond is a shadow of his former self and I think this was evident from the later mafia games he participated in. Yes he is experienced but I don't believe he has the skill or the passion anymore to influence games, successfully flush out mafia or even read players correctly anymore. His posting style and voting behaviour is lethargic at best and so far in this game he is just going with the flow and opting for the easy opinions. TRS can be a dangerous player when on form but as yet this game, he is yet to do anything one way or another to influence my opinion. Kyle on the other hand has raised my suspicions. At the very last moment yesterday he opted to change his vote to effectively save Turbo and get rid of NOW. Of course Turbo was innocent so it looks like a safe move but if I'm Kyle I would be thinking "If I can save Turbo at the last minute, that would get rid of NOW and Turbo or DavidMcG would be a cert to be lynched on day two so that would buy mafia an extra couple of days undetected" Nothing concrete but I'm not sure how he could have been so sure Turbo was innocent. There was a strategy to that last minute move, of that I'm sure.

Armadale, Albino, DarkBlue62

All very solid players. DarkBlue62 in particular has plenty mafia game experience although rarely stands out for anything good or bad. Armadale and Albino could potentially be very dangerous if either are mafia as I believe both have the skill to perform well. Can't say either have made me suspicious of them being mafia yet.

Aidrie Onions, Gilp, Brightside

Been fairly impressed thus far by L4L, obviosuly a very eradic player in the past but seems to be playing a more of a normal game this time round. Maybe its because he is years older, maybe its because he isn't trying to attract attention. Gilp, as I mentioned earlier in thread is a great player...at other games. He has a tendancy to bandwagon so that isn't anything new but it's not a tactic I'm overly fond of in these games. Brightside had some odd voting behaviour before the deadline and is definitely one to be watched, he tends not say a lot in his posts which doesn't help one way or the other.

MarkoRaj, Sooky and Diamonds2002

All three in my opinion (especially sooky and and diamonds) have came across very quiet so far. I can't even recall many of their posts of the top of my head at all. This makes them all pretty hard to read as its difficult to tell whether they are trying to fly under the radar or whether they just haven't been that active.

Number One Wasp

Behind Ludo and GS, NOW is probably the hardest player to predict in the game. I don't have anything against him personally and I'm sure he is a nice lad and all that but he is terrible at these games. It's almost impossible to tell whether he is just being his usual hopeless self or whether he is dodgy. Again, similar to Ludo because of this he will always pick up votes. I'm a little surprised at how many votes he picked up yesterday. He is perfect canon fodder for mafia as he is always a target. Too tough to work out.

In summary:

There is genuinely nobody who I am certain of being mafia at the moment, I think if anyone says they do then its because they are either mafia themselves or have information.

For me Kyle, Brightside and the the three quieter players (sooky, markoraj and diamonds) stand out the most but still hours to go before deadline.

Bonksy is dead and was a civi :lol:

:lol: Too busy trying to read deep between the lines.

GS you mention that diamonds has hinted at roles that are innocent, but as far as I'm aware the roles are completely random? So a bad guy in the movies might be a Mason etc

That is a good point that I forgot about. Still don't know why he is hinting at characters though,

Wanted to get my suspicions in before I left for the football. I'm sticking with my vote for NOW, he just screams mafia if you ask me, I realise he's never been the greatest player but not sure I'm convinced on any arguments against anyone else.

Kyle was acting a bit odd last night I would have to agree with TRS there, seemed to be playing it a bit "safe".

Also think we should be looking at the quieter players, someone like diamonds could be mafia and just skirting by? Same with Sooky, I realise it's been a while since the last one but he seems to be a lot quieter than I remember.

Archived