Stenhousemuir v Raith Rovers - Petrofac 2nd Round

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the end of the day it's the Challenge Cup. Falkirk have lost 5-3 at home, Dumbarton are maybe going out and we're out.

However this game confirms we are woefully short up front and this result just highlights it. We have 2 strikers, one of whom is 17, on loan and as any Dundee all tell you is not an out and out striker.

Wow! :lol:

Some goal for the second!

That was pretty honking. Falkirk beaten 5-3 as well. Pretty glad it's just the petrofac cup. Stenny were up for it tonight, and played pretty well! We just went through the motions. Some of these players have done nothing to push for a regular slot in the side either. Petrie was putrid at left back, no wonder Stenny were playing it down his side time and again!

Davidson shouldn't be playing in games when we are trying to dominate, sometimes still wonder why he was signed in the first place when it was blatantly obvious we needed a fecking striker!!

As for Jason Thomson, what a stupid thing to do, especially in the circumstances. Never a captain doing things like that. Hopefully McKinnon throws the fucking hairdryer at his skull. Pathetic.

Yep. Along with Barr, of course.

So: McKeown, Bates, Davidson, Toshney it is on Saturday. We are woefully short.

Why is it every season half our team is injured/suspended until about Jan haha ... Woefully short uptop and woefully short at the back, big Chopra will have a field day !

Thomson is an absolute idiot. Disgraceful behaviour and all the more so when we've already got two defenders out for Saturday.

Big thanks for leaving us short there, Jason.

The stenny boy got up and said he went for the ball, no stamp what so ever. Was standing right at the wall and heard it. Mcmenemin came over and also said the exact same to the ref so steady on.

Didn't look like a stamp to me. Just kicking the ball while the Stenny player was lying on it. Thought a yellow would have been sufficient enough.

As for the performance, I thought we were awful. If there's any plus points, at least we know we can't play certain players in certain positions. Petrie didn't look comfortable at left-back for example, and Wighton toiled on his own. I know it's been said a gazillion times already, but we really, really need another forward in.

Thoroughly deserved for Stenhousemuir though, fair play to them.

Absolutely delighted with that. I thought we deserved the win - we were always comfortable, bar one or two shaky moments in the first half, and were never really threatened. Raith Rovers were very pedestrian and never tried to get in behind us. It was a stroll in the park for Stuart Malcolm and Euan Murray at the back, and Stephen Stirling and Ross Meechan had a grip of things in the middle.

We scored two excellent goals. The first capped off a brilliant move - I though Alan Cook had blown it when Jason Thomson came over to cover, but the finish was excellent. Right into the only place Scott Cuthbert couldn't reach. Stirling's goal was even better - must have been 40 yards when he hit it. A stunner, and one of the best I've ever seen Stenny score.

Too many players to pick out - the two centre-backs were excellent, Stirling and Meechan (my favourite player in the team) were class and Allan Smith and Jon McShane put in a hard graft in attack.

I was very disappointed with Raith. The full-backs didn't attack, the midfield never offered any penetration (Iain Davidson should pack it in - he was more interested in beefing with Alan Cook than driving his team on - while McCord and the young boy didn't do anything) and Craig Wighton was really poor up top. His effort that hit the post was nice but I was expecting a lot more.

I don't think it was a sending off - it was a booking at worst. Stephen Stirling had fallen on top of the ball and Jason Thomson booted it from underneath him. He was probably a lot more forcefully than he needed to be.

I didn't expect to get anything from the game, so astonished we've progressed. Queen's Park in the next round at Hampden would be class.

Well. That was really disappoiniting. Several things to address, all of which link in.

1) for those saying 'it's a diddy cup or it's a distraction' - out best moment since Bayern Munich happened in this cup.

2) to get beat off a team that are not as good as you and also PART TIME means the attitude is not right - Now maybe the boys and ray mac think that progressing in the challenge cup isn't that important. Well a few hundred people paid a lot of Money to travel and watch that. If your attitude is that it's 'not that important' then you have a very unprofessional and selfish attitude.

3) Davo - horrific signing. Never been a player. Never will be a player. Was average at best against an opponent that was working all day. Pish.

4) Craig Wighton - not ready. Great prospect, very technical player and one I am sure will develop. Unfortunately he can't use his superior technique cos he is not ready physically to get on the ball and do his stuff consistently. We re not Dundee's development squad. If he does not improve our team, he should not be in our team. A loan move that has turned out to be poor.

5) mark Stewart, strikers and goals - I really fear for is scoring goals this year. Vaughan was so crucial. The plan was for him to be our main goal getter. Stewart, megginson and Wighton were supposed to be supplementary goal scorers. We need another striker. Stewart is a 8 a season man and the other two are 'attackers' rather than strikers.

6) I think this season will be decent but frustrating. I believe Ray Mac is the man to move the Rovers on and think his vision and ambition are something to be excited about. I just think it's too big an ask to improve us this year and a few signing have already shown themselves to have not worked and injuries have scuppered us. It may seem massively over reactionary... But i can't be the only one thinking roll on next season?

Archived