In Sweden, one of their top level referees has started a Facebook page to explain his decisions and admit his errors.

The full story is here: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/aug/11/swedish-referee-facebook-page-explain-decision?CMP=share_btn_tw

or in the below spoiler:

A Swedish referee has started a Facebook page in an attempt to “create an understanding for our occupation”. Mohammed Al-Hakim, one of the most promising officials in the Swedish top flight, Allsvenskan, launched his page this month with an admission that he should have given a penalty in the game between IFK Norrkoping and AIK and has been praised for his willingness to discuss contentious decisions.

“I believe in openness and dialogue,” Al-Hakim told Fotbollskanalen. “The main idea is that I want to create interest [in our occupation] and I think the football family can gain from getting a better insight and understanding of a referee’s situation.

“I also want the page to inspire more people to become referees, which is an important part of football. I want to show my side of officiating and want to balance the picture [there is of us] in the media. I want to increase the accessibility in the football family.”

The 30-year-old is one of Sweden’s most promising referees and attended a Fifa course in February as he stepped up his efforts to officiate on the international scene. His page received a lot of attention when it was launched with the sentence: “Keep a good tone here and the chances of this page surviving will increase.”

He added of the decision he had got wrong: “I should have given a penalty yesterday. Full stop. Now I have seen what you surely have seen already. I’ve seen the replays a few times and looked at stills and different angles. Because what it is about for me, is that I want to learn something and try to understand why I did what I did. I will never be right all the time but it is important to minimise the mistakes and make sure that I am right in the important moments.”

He added: “I have got a lot of positive feedback. Of course there are some negative voices but the majority has been very positive. The whole idea is just a test but it the Swedish refereeing committee is in on it. They have agreed that I am doing it.”

Would something similar work in Scotland where an official can explain a decision, without being grilled by a journalist? Maybe a blog would be better as it wouldn't allow negative comments on the article, but would enlighten fans as to why decisions were or weren't given.

In Sweden, one of their top level referees has started a Facebook page to explain his decisions and admit his errors.

The full story is here: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/aug/11/swedish-referee-facebook-page-explain-decision?CMP=share_btn_tw

or in the below spoiler:

A Swedish referee has started a Facebook page in an attempt to “create an understanding for our occupation”. Mohammed Al-Hakim, one of the most promising officials in the Swedish top flight, Allsvenskan, launched his page this month with an admission that he should have given a penalty in the game between IFK Norrkoping and AIK and has been praised for his willingness to discuss contentious decisions.

“I believe in openness and dialogue,” Al-Hakim told Fotbollskanalen. “The main idea is that I want to create interest [in our occupation] and I think the football family can gain from getting a better insight and understanding of a referee’s situation.

“I also want the page to inspire more people to become referees, which is an important part of football. I want to show my side of officiating and want to balance the picture [there is of us] in the media. I want to increase the accessibility in the football family.”

FacebookTwitterPinteres

The 30-year-old is one of Sweden’s most promising referees and attended a Fifa course in February as he stepped up his efforts to officiate on the international scene. His page received a lot of attention when it was launched with the sentence: “Keep a good tone here and the chances of this page surviving will increase.”

He added of the decision he had got wrong: “I should have given a penalty yesterday. Full stop. Now I have seen what you surely have seen already. I’ve seen the replays a few times and looked at stills and different angles. Because what it is about for me, is that I want to learn something and try to understand why I did what I did. I will never be right all the time but it is important to minimise the mistakes and make sure that I am right in the important moments.”

He added: “I have got a lot of positive feedback. Of course there are some negative voices but the majority has been very positive. The whole idea is just a test but it the Swedish refereeing committee is in on it. They have agreed that I am doing it.”

Would something similar work in Scotland where an official can explain a decision, without being grilled by a journalist? Maybe a blog would be better as it wouldn't allow negative comments on the article, but would enlighten fans as to why decisions were or weren't given.

Would need to be a blog. I'd have got the jail if Bobby fucking Madden had a Facebook page last season tbh

I like the sound of this - but can you imagine the parade of mouth breathers and social inadequates that would descend on every post a Scottish Referee made? The first death threat would be posted within 15 mins of him explaining an offside call at Ibrox.

Imagine the fun a ref could have responding to tear stained fan rants with Greggies and Batemans.

The worrying thing is, compared to most of the shite I see on FB from some Dees and Arabs I'm actually quite level headed....

It would never work here for 2 big reasons - the arse cheeks. It would be a sectarian battleground and as already mentioned death threats all over the shop.

I like the sound of this - but can you imagine the parade of mouth breathers and social inadequates that would descend on every post a Scottish Referee made? The first death threat would be posted within 15 mins of him explaining an offside call at Ibrox.

True enough. As much as we've joked on here about abusing them there are some absolute morons that would ruin it.

Maybe each club should be able to compile a list and send them in to be discussed by the ref in question. Takes out any direct contact from the outside world but still gives an acceptable result.

The worrying thing is, compared to most of the shite I see on FB from some Dees and Arabs I'm actually quite level headed....

It would never work here for 2 big reasons - the arse cheeks. It would be a sectarian battleground and as already mentioned death threats all over the shop.

Absolutely.

A trial run with the Juniors could be worthwhile though...

or in the below spoiler:

No, because refs are human, and would undoubtedly make up reasons for their mistakes after rewatching the footage.

Would be a total waste of time. Ref would just make up pish to support his decision.

Have you ever heard ex ref Kenny Clark when he is on the radio. Even when a ref has clearly made a mistake he just quotes some weird interpretion of the laws to justify it

I agree with John Collins that Scottish football does not have referees that are clever enough or quick enough thinkers to punish Celtic unlike their European counterparts 8)

Archived