Next Dundee United Manager

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BBC reporting that United have spoken to a couple of candidates who are currently out of work.

Seems you're looking for someone with managerial experience, but not necessarily in Scotland.

Hopefully some interesting names get thrown up.

This recruitment lark is a piece of piss.

Bomber is Shedded oot his nut:

JOHN Brown last night insisted Stuart McCall would make for a successful new manager of Dundee United.

Former Dundee boss Brown is backing McCall to turn things round at Tannadice should he land the vacant position following Jackie McNamaras sacking last Saturday.

The 51-year-old, who is currently part of Gordon Strachans Scotland backroom staff, is believed to be in the running for the Tannadice hotseat along with others such as St Johnstone boss Tommy Wright, former United striker Mixu Paatelainen and Inverness manager John Hughes.

And Brown, who played alongside McCall during their days together at Rangers in the 1990s, has no doubts the ex-Motherwell boss would prove a shrewd appointment should Tangerines supremo Stephen Thompson opt for him to become McNamaras successor.

Brown said: I think Stuart would be a great asset for Dundee United. He did a marvellous job at Motherwell, leading them to the Scottish Cup Final and Champions League qualifiers for the first time.

United are a big club and Stuart has got all the credentials to take the club forward. If given the job to manage them, Im sure he would be a resounding success.

Im surprised he hasnt been approached for some other big jobs since leaving Motherwell last year. But this could be the one that suits him. United are a big club with great tradition and a very loyal fan-base.

It looks like I've brought the city of Dundee together, it's a beautiful thing.

I'm not seething. It's a discussion where you have a different opinion. Relax.

How do you define bigger club - trophies won many years ago? In which case yes, as are Renton, Dumbarton, Vale of Leven, Clyde and East Fife. As indeed Queens Park are 'bigger' than Dundee - twice the size to be fair. Dundee is a bigger cities, so naturally attendances will be higher.

I don't feel the need to edit my post. Look at your own club in the way it's been run the past few years, does that make it more or less of a draw for potential managers in your opinion? Utd have not been close to Dundee on that score, but you don't think the way a club treats it's people is relevant?

In answer to your question, I would imagine if a Tommy Wright was an 18 year old student, then yes the points you made about Dundee being more appealing are true.

:D

First off - Dundee is just one city m8. (you did leave it open for me - cheers)

Now to the rest of your points. The size of a club is a difficult thing to quantify.

The reason Queens Park, Renton and Clyde etc can no longer be called "big clubs" is that they have the history, but haven't sustained that through the generations. They are a historical entity, like Rangers FC for example.

I will give you a controversial example below in the form of a question.

Who are the bigger club - The Rangers (Sevco) formed in 2012 or St Johnstone? I mean you beat them last week, and they've never been in the top flight, have no history to speak of, never won a major trophy and are notoriously unstable behind the scenes etc whist you are a league above and recent cup winners. Who would a hypothetical player sign for and why?

If that question makes you feel too bad you could replace the Rangers with Hibs.

As for Dundee - we are under stable ownership with no real scandal in the tenure of the latest owners. After years of purgatory in the Championship (where we probably still got bigger crowds than you) we have got ourselves up to the top flight and stayed there. Our larger fan base has given our manager a budget to be competitive and we are investing off the field in our youth system. It certainly never put off Rory Loy who had his pick of the clubs (although the £8k a week salary was a no brainer). In terms of Saints "the good guys" - Brian Graham felt so well treated at Saints he never even spoke to them and signed for Ross County..... Those are just 2 recent incidents that spring to mind which highlight some of the nonsense in your naïve ramblings.

A simple if rather crude way of putting it would be thus - Dundee spent 10 years in the doldrums being referred to as "sleeping giants" by the Scottish football community, if Saints went down you would simply be forgotten and that is probably the main difference.

In the same breath there is no doubting Dundee FC are a bigger club than St. Johnstone.

Ha!

I don't think of dundee being a bigger club than St.J. and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.

Perth is indeed a sh1th0le however.

I love these essays we regularly get about how Dundee are a massive club compared to us too. Im astounded we manage to compete considering we have such powerhouses so close by.

Dundee are a much bigger club than st Johnstone.

I know, dont really need ten paragraphs every time someone from our club is linked with a move somewhere though

It's more for the benefit of deluded fanboys like Paulo Perth IMO

Im not convinced he was being entirely serious tbh

TWs been in the papers saying hes flattered to see his achievements being recognised by other clubs but is happy at Saints and still has goals to achieve with us...

Im not convinced he was being entirely serious tbh

TWs been in the papers saying hes flattered to see his achievements being recognised by other clubs but is happy at Saints and still has goals to achieve with us...

Flattered is tabloid code for 'call my agent'.

:D

First off - Dundee is just one city m8. (you did leave it open for me - cheers)

Now to the rest of your points. The size of a club is a difficult thing to quantify.

The reason Queens Park, Renton and Clyde etc can no longer be called "big clubs" is that they have the history, but haven't sustained that through the generations. They are a historical entity, like Rangers FC for example.

I will give you a controversial example below in the form of a question.

Who are the bigger club - The Rangers (Sevco) formed in 2012 or St Johnstone? I mean you beat them last week, and they've never been in the top flight, have no history to speak of, never won a major trophy and are notoriously unstable behind the scenes etc whist you are a league above and recent cup winners. Who would a hypothetical player sign for and why?

If that question makes you feel too bad you could replace the Rangers with Hibs.

As for Dundee - we are under stable ownership with no real scandal in the tenure of the latest owners. After years of purgatory in the Championship (where we probably still got bigger crowds than you) we have got ourselves up to the top flight and stayed there. Our larger fan base has given our manager a budget to be competitive and we are investing off the field in our youth system. It certainly never put off Rory Loy who had his pick of the clubs (although the £8k a week salary was a no brainer). In terms of Saints "the good guys" - Brian Graham felt so well treated at Saints he never even spoke to them and signed for Ross County..... Those are just 2 recent incidents that spring to mind which highlight some of the nonsense in your naïve ramblings.

A simple if rather crude way of putting it would be thus - Dundee spent 10 years in the doldrums being referred to as "sleeping giants" by the Scottish football community, if Saints went down you would simply be forgotten and that is probably the main difference.

Yes city... Must have been the seethe!

I think Rangers and Hibs are both bigger clubs than St Johnstone, yes. But then I think both are far bigger clubs than Dundee and Utd as well. I'm not sure the point you are making here. I think both Dundee clubs have bigger budgets and bigger fanbases than Saints, do you think that is the only relevant factor here though? If indeed money is the priority for Tommy then he would join United.

Rory Loy and Brian Graham went to clubs that offered them more money, no big shock there. Neither were ever signed St Johnstone players and had any loyalty to us. Again, not sure how they are relevant. But yes people will leave us from time to time for more cash if that is your point.

I'm sorry but I think you have a deluded viewpoint of Dundee's standing in the game. I genuinely never heard anyone call them sleeping giants. It's the same with Dunfermline just now in the first division.. Do you even think about them? It's exactly the same whether it's Saints, Dundee, St Mirren or anyone else. When you go down you are pretty much irrelevant to everyone else in the top league.

The obvious exception is Rangers, and that's only because the media have kept stuffing them down our throats during their time in the lower leagues.

Archived