Next Dundee United Manager

409 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems a weird process, so far. I get the feeling (just a hunch) that the job isn't seen as the plum position it used to be, and I can't help but think it's related to 'behind the scenes shenanigans'. There's something weird going on at that club just now. #crisis

I'll take you at your word but I genuinely don't see it. Having been involved in hiring new staff numerous times over many years it doesn't strike me as odd at all that it would take some time to decide on and interview the best candidates - available and potentially available. Obviously there's a greater pressure of time when it comes to a football club but still, it's less than two weeks since the last guy was sacked and all that has happened is that United spoken with some guys and approached some others. I don't get how that is weird.

McKinnon would be a solid appointment. If he wasn't so tainted and the likes of Wieghorst/Ketsbaia/Nemsadze/Ravanelli all declaring they'd like to be Dundee's manager at some point (Wieghorst hasn't said this unfortunately - he just seems to be a cracking coach) I wouldn't have minded him replacing Hartley when he's off to bigger things.

. I don't get how that is weird.

Just a hunch, because all we're going on is journalists' conjecture and internet rumours, but my feeling is that United's approaches are getting rebutted whereas in the past somebody would've been flattered and bitten. I could be wrong though and your top candidate might in place by next weekend! Btw who would your top (realistic) choice be?

Wonder if Alan Johnson the pars manager will be In the frame ? Has the pars flying and playing attractive football apparently. Blooding plenty kids there .

:lol:

I assume you just blanked out the last team he was in charge of a Premiership club? AJ was doing all that at Queens, then came to Killie and played an awful brand of football, neglected kids and was generally rotten. He needs more than another good season in a division filled with part-time dross before he should be anywhere near another top job.

Quitongo's Left Peg, on 09 Oct 2015 - 20:35, said:

:lol:

I assume you just blanked out the last team he was in charge of a Premiership club? AJ was doing all that at Queens, then came to Killie and played an awful brand of football, neglected kids and was generally rotten. He needs more than another good season in a division filled with part-time dross before he should be anywhere near another top job.

Is there perhaps a reason for this that Killie fans can think of other than him being out of his depth? AJ looked like a broken man at Killie from day one. Whereas at Queens and Dunfy he looks confident and willing to experiment and go for the jugular and he has his sides playing the right way.

Something about his stint at Killie strikes me as iffy, because it's not like the Dunfermline job is pressure free.

Is there perhaps a reason for this that Killie fans can think of other than him being out of his depth? AJ looked like a broken man at Killie from day one. Whereas at Queens and Dunfy he looks confident and willing to experiment and go for the jugular and he has his sides playing the right way.

Something about his stint at Killie strikes me as iffy, because it's not like the Dunfermline job is pressure free.

agree with this and would be interesting to hear from some killie fans. Maybe it was just the wrong club for AJ..

Just a hunch, because all we're going on is journalists' conjecture and internet rumours, but my feeling is that United's approaches are getting rebutted whereas in the past somebody would've been flattered and bitten. I could be wrong though and your top candidate might in place by next weekend! Btw who would your top (realistic) choice be?

I reckon McCall and Mixu want/wanted the job but United are not convinced. I reckon Wright might have been convinced but decided against it/wasn't prepared to force it through. I reckon Hughes is interested and it remains to be seen whether he would be prepared to force it through if ICT don't budge.

Pressley was interviewed and publicly knocked back last time so it's no great surprise that we wasn't up for it this time. Irvine was interested but it remains to be seen whether he would be prepared to move back to Scotland. O'Neil understandably has bigger fish to fry.

Obviously there's a fair degree of conjecture here but those would seem the most obvious scenarios.

My first (realistic) choice would be Hughes. He may not be the most erudite but he's not alone in that trait amongst managers. He strikes me as hard and honest and enthusiastic and I reckon he'd lift the players currently at the club. If not Hughes then I'd be happy enough with Mixu or McCall at a push. I wasn't keen on Wright but I've no doubt that he's a good manager and probably would have done a good job.

I wouldn't be averse to McKinnon but he's only two minutes in the door at Raith and I think we need a bit more experience right now given the position in the league and the obvious lack of confidence in the squad.

I reckon McCall and Mixu want/wanted the job but United are not convinced. I reckon Wright might have been convinced but decided against it/wasn't prepared to force it through. I reckon Hughes is interested and it remains to be seen whether he would be prepared to force it through if ICT don't budge.

Pressley was interviewed and publicly knocked back last time so it's no great surprise that we wasn't up for it this time. Irvine was interested but it remains to be seen whether he would be prepared to move back to Scotland. O'Neil understandably has bigger fish to fry.

Obviously there's a fair degree of conjecture here but those would seem the most obvious scenarios.

Don't disagree with any of this, although Hughes stated last week that he'd sign a new ICT contract asap if they offered. Maybe they thought he wasn't in the running? Seems they haven't been forthcoming with new terms though.

Did Wright get improved terms or can we add that to the speculation?

Don't disagree with any of this, although Hughes stated last week that he'd sign a new ICT contract asap if they offered. Maybe they thought he wasn't in the running? Seems they haven't been forthcoming with new terms though.

Did Wright get improved terms or can we add that to the speculation?

Add it to the speculation pile.

Archived