Favourite Sci-Fi films

killienick

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

= 5 - Starship Troopers

(Yes I am one of the few who really rates and likes it, but then again I had read the Heinlein book years before the film was made so was already looking forward to it, although it is a mystery how such a good film can repeatedly spawn so many shite sequels!!!)

Starship Troopers is a terrific film. It is definitely up there as far as I'm concerned as one of the best sci-fi films. I think people just don't get Verhoeven's sense of humour or the allegory for American foreign policy which isn't exactly hidden. It is terribly let down by the sequels on this score as they took all the dark comedy out and tried to make serious films about men fighting giant bugs.

Saw Dina Meyer at Comic-Con a while back, (yum).

I'm not having that! Nobody likes Nemesis.

I liked Nemesis well enough, which probably tells you everything you need to know.

I'd forgotten how poor the Next Generation films are; I'd probably rank them in reverse chronological order with Nemesis as the best, although it's hardly a classic.

I liked Nemesis well enough, which probably tells you everything you need to know.

I'd forgotten how poor the Next Generation films are; I'd probably rank them in reverse chronological order with Nemesis as the best, although it's hardly a classic.

First Contact is excellent but Nemesis is poor. Insurrection and Generations are pretty decent too.

I had a lot of hope after the first reboot but Into Darkness could have been a Michael Bay film. Makes me worried about the new Star Wars film.

1. Empire Strikes Back

2. Children of Men

3. District 9

4. Moon

5. The Iron Giant

• 2 weeks later...

Blade Runner

Alien

The Thing (1982)

A Scanner Darkly

12 Monkeys (best, and most consistent attempt at a time travel plot)

Moon

Alien 3

Star trek II: Wrath of khan

Ghost in the Shell (1995 movie version)

Gattaca

My top ten at the minute, anyway. Pretty much everything I watch is genre television/cinema of some sort.

1 - The Star Wars Saga

(cheating I know but it is just one big story though!!!)

2 - Silent Running

( bit of a cult classic, but a truly brilliant film, the film that Moon was trying to be!!!)

3 - The Terminator

(You can keep all the sequels, even if they never existed the original could be one of the greatest films ever made!!!)

4 - Guardians of the Galaxy

( just because, it really is that good!!!)

= 5 - The Matrix Trilogy

(Brilliant story, cutting edge FX (for the time) and bears repeated viewing, I realise the sequels aren't to everyone's taste but if watched in a oner they really do make more sense, especially if you watch The Animatrix at the correct juncture!!!)

= 5 - Starship Troopers

(Yes I am one of the few who really rates and likes it, but then again I had read the Heinlein book years before the film was made so was already looking forward to it, although it is a mystery how such a good film can repeatedly spawn so many shite sequels!!!)

Not sure your in a minority to be honest. I love it, once you get that it's a satire of the authoritarian, fascist themes from Heinlein's original, it opens up and is brilliant.

Ooh, tough one!

I’ll have to say, and in no order (except TESB, which is the clear number 1);

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back

Star Wars: A New Hope

Star Wars: Return of The Jedi

Terminator

Terminator 2: Judgement Day

Predator

Total Recall

Alien

Aliens

They Live

Starship Troopers

Melancholia

Interstellar

Flash Gordon

Independence Day

District 9

The Matrix (only the first one)

Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Star Trek: The Journey Home

Star Trek: The Final Frontier

Star Trek: Generations

Star Trek: First Contact

Star Trek: Nemesis

Star Trek (the new one)

Star Trek In To Darkness

Jurassic Park

The Fifth Element

Back To The Future Trilogy

Serenity

Edge Of Tomorrow

Another Earth

Inception

I have taken DA's list here and made it correct.

I'd also like to add

Blade Runner

Alien 3

Predator 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ooh, tough one!

I’ll have to say, and in no order (except TESB, which is the clear number 1);

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back

Star Wars: A New Hope

Star Wars: Return of The Jedi

Terminator

Terminator 2: Judgement Day

Predator

Total Recall

Alien

Aliens

They Live

Starship Troopers

Melancholia

Interstellar

Flash Gordon

Independence Day

District 9

The Matrix (only the first one)

Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan

Star Trek: The Journey Home

Star Trek: The Final Frontier

Star Trek: Generations

Star Trek: First Contact

Star Trek: Nemesis

Star Trek (the new one)

Star Trek In To Darkness

Jurassic Park

The Fifth Element

Back To The Future Trilogy

Serenity

Edge Of Tomorrow

Another Earth

Inception

Star Trek the final frontier?

You having a laugh, that was a horrendous film

Star Trek the final frontier?

You having a laugh, that was a horrendous film

Sy-Fy were showing all TOS films recently and I watched them all. I had forgotten what a truly atrocious film V is. Dreadful effects and the story line is awful. VI is up there with WoK as the high point in the series. I never understood the love for IV though.

I have taken DA's list here and made it correct.

I'd also like to add

Blade Runner

Alien 3

Predator 2

Predator 2?! The Predator runs away from Danny Glover for f**k sake! A dreadful lapse in judgement on your part. Repent immediately.

Sy-Fy were showing all TOS films recently and I watched them all. I had forgotten what a truly atrocious film V is. Dreadful effects and the story line is awful. VI is up there with WoK as the high point in the series. I never understood the love for IV though.

And it still could've been worse. It nearly killed the franchise, number six was only given a fraction of the budget of five.

And it still could've been worse. It nearly killed the franchise, number six was only given a fraction of the budget of five.

I don't think that's quite right. I think VI was given a similar, if not slightly higher budget as it was approaching the 25th anniversary and they wanted to go out with a bit more of a bang than the dreadful V.

Starship Troopers is a terrific film. It is definitely up there as far as I'm concerned as one of the best sci-fi films. I think people just don't get Verhoeven's sense of humour or the allegory for American foreign policy which isn't exactly hidden. It is terribly let down by the sequels on this score as they took all the dark comedy out and tried to make serious films about men fighting giant bugs.

Saw Dina Meyer at Comic-Con a while back, (yum).

I think the propaganda videos in them are quite possibly one of my top 5 things in any film, ever.

Watch his execution live, all net, all channels...

Archived