Doonhamers vs The Famous, Sunday 30th August

I'm not apologising for someone singing a song.

I have no hate for anyone but singing a song at a football match?

I'll not apologise for that when so much worse goes on in the world.

I'm no bigot but god help you if someone singing a song causes you so much offense.

My friend lost her Dad the other day and was less hurt than you're trying to be and that's something worth being hurt about.

No one asked you for an apology for anything. Posting an unprompted defence of scumbag behaviour based on the fact that worse things happen is utterly bizarre and gives the impression that you actually don't think there's anything wrong with it in the first place. Instead of making out that someone is feigning offence for some mystifying reason, you might want to have a think about why our society has decided sectarianism is so harmful that it's actually been criminalised.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No one asked you for an apology for anything. Posting an unprompted defence of scumbag behaviour based on the fact that worse things happen is utterly bizarre and gives the impression that you actually don't think there's anything wrong with it in the first place. Instead of making out that someone is feigning offence for some mystifying reason, you might want to have a think about why our society has decided sectarianism is so harmful that it's actually been criminalised.

See above.

I was asked why I support a sectarian team, hence my replies.

I simply support a team....only in Scotland am I justifying it.

I'm a she.

I like the fat anology.

Many keep calling me fat...I argue against it.

You keep saying I must be fat as I hang around fat people....I argue against it.

I'm not fat....why should I not get annoyed with you?

Absolutely nobody has said that. I have never called you a bigot, despite your constant insistence that I (and others) have.

I'm actually thinking there's some kind of comprehension issue at play here, so I don't really know what else to say. You don't seem to be able to follow the conversation, and I don't even mean that as an insult. Let's just leave it at that.

Absolutely nobody has said that. I have never called you a bigot, despite your constant insistence that I (and others) have.

I'm actually thinking there's some kind of comprehension issue at play here, so I don't really know what else to say. You don't seem to be able to follow the conversation, and I don't even mean that as an insult. Let's just leave it at that.

Fair enough. You seem unequally able to grasp my point of view.

Fair enough. You seem unequally able to grasp my point of view.

I get your point of view; it's just that it has nothing to do with the questions you've been asked.

And stop discriminating against me because of my big feet :P

I get your point of view; it's just that it has nothing to do with the questions you've been asked.

And stop discriminating against me because of my big feet :P

I've answered everything put to me.

You're just scared cause you've met a decent Gers fan....

...who likes David Bowie as well!

:)

Don't be daft Youngsy. The song isn't acceptable which is why a couple of blokes were lifted for singing it, I believe. It wasn't the main feature of the game though. I just mentioned it in passing - no prospect of a BBC job for me.

Why even mention the song then? Is it to stir things up on this forum? We all know songs such as this are sung at games and yet you have to try and highlight it on your post.

"Bigot" had become a lazy epithet for Rangers fans, but I doubt you'll deny that there's still plenty of posters who're willing to throw up a knee-jerk defence to sectarian behaviour when there isn't even a response necessary.

Two thoughts:

1. The default P&B view is that one's a bigot by dint of supporting Rangers. This gets tedious in the extreme.

2. Many match threads make some reference to 'the songbook'. This is equally tedious. They even get affronted when it's a song that doesn't have 'naughty words' in it.

No one is apologising for bigotry. We're simply sick of the same old tropes being spouted week in week out.

No longer a sectarian club, I'd say, but the other bit's undeniable I'd have thought. This discussion is probably best taken away from the match thread though.

No let's keep it on this thread, after all it was yourself that brought the subject up by referring to a song sung at today's game. Don't kick something in and then suddenly try and walk away from it.

*sigh*

I'll say it again:

I support Rangers.

Some sectarian people support Rangers.

That does not make me sectarian.

I like Eminem.

Some racists like Eminem.

That does make me a racist.

Why should I not like Rangers nor Eminem because some bigots/racists do?

I am free to choose who I like.

Liking something can be an individual thing you know?

I'm supporting the entity not other supporters.

Is that so hard to comprehend?

I like Eminem too.

My wife quite like Rangers.

My kids like Celtic and my wife doesn't mind

My wife doesn't like Eminem.

My wife likes Take That.

My kids aren't arsed by music but love cartoons.

Take That are shite.

Your Grandchildren will be Celtic fans.

Couldn't really see what happened for the red card, but what a difference 10 months makes, an attractive passing outfit turned into a bunch of hammer throwers, amazed that Queens chose that tactic this afternoon.

A surprisingly easy win for us, great move for the first goal. Mon the Gers.

Hate watching a game on that surface btw, it's shite.

Go f**k yourself.

Looking forward to seeing a number of incidents again though. Didnt think the officials did us any favours. Lyle incident looked like they should both have got the same, prob yellow. 1st penalty a bit harsh but God knows how it isnt a red if its a foul. 2nd penalty itself was fine but it comes from a free kick which appeared to be given for the boy falling over when he stood on the ball.

Having seen the highlights:

Still think Lyle red card is harsh. He is daft to respond but there is no real force in his action and Kiernan absolutely caused it by running 20 yards to needlessly get involved in an incident that had nothing to do with him and was already over with Lyle walking away. He then put his head into Lyle first. Yellow each would have been sensible. Warburton called it spot on.

1st penalty looks even more harsh when i see it properly. For me if anything the foul is the other way. He ran into Dowie, bounced off him and somehow got a penalty for it!

In fairness the free kick ahead of the second penalty is a foul when seen again. And Russell's handball is indefensible. Wasnt sure contact was actually on the box. His feet were in it but his hand may be forward a bit. No serious complaint though.

And for the character for whom English appears a second language who was claiming earlier that Smith was five yards offside, he was nowhere near offside and did Kiernan a massive favour he didnt deserve given his earlier antics by staying on his feet and scoring rather than going down.

Archived