Doonhamers vs The Famous, Sunday 30th August

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'Absolutely seething' doesn't come close to how I feel just now tbh. I seriously can't believe Fowler thought we would have got anything other than a gubbing today with that formation. Duno if I should be raging or actually worried that he couldn't see that :unsure2:

Not sure exactly what was wrong with the formation. Conroy playing off Lyle should get him more involved in the game and a better shot/pass and we'd have gone in 1-1 at half time.

OK it was good to hump Queens 1-5 but I wish it had finished 11 vs 11 as the sending off changed the game totally.

I think we'd still have won and we certainly played some good football but I don't think you can really gauge either team on the basis of today's game.

This. Rangers looked good first half, but Queens had restricted them to only a few chances.

Just watched the red card and first penalty again. Both shocking decisions, in my opinion. Kiernan puts his head actually onto Lyles yet escapes punishment. Dowie is just stronger for the penalty, you see that kind of block every single game. At least Madded got the card right for that one. The Rangers player isnt in control of the ball so it cant be a clear goalscoring opportunity.

I said before the game that this was a bonus game. Our season wont be defined by the games against Rangers. Its disapointing to lose, particularly in the circumstances but its far more important we pick up points from the likes of Saintees, Hibs and Falkirk than Rangers

Couldn't really see what happened for the red card, but what a difference 10 months makes, an attractive passing outfit turned into a bunch of hammer throwers, amazed that Queens chose that tactic this afternoon.

A surprisingly easy win for us, great move for the first goal. Mon the Gers.

Hate watching a game on that surface btw, it's shite.

I can't really comment on anything of the incidents as my view wasn't great (except the second penalty as I was home by then :lol:) If the first penalty was a penalty then Dowie surely has to go? My view of the Lyle red was that they both touched heads but Lyle didn't actually headbutt him. Shite view though so not sticking with that. No 4 should have at least seen yellow though as he provoked it. He didn't need to get involved. That's not an excuse for Lyle's behaviour though. The second was a stonewaller. Why Russell had his arm away up there is beyond me.

From the terrace behind the goal it looked like they squared up which is fine, but it then looked like Lyle made a "movement " with his head. Pish, but the sort of pish that is punished.

It wouldn't have affected the result as we didn't look like doing anything with Lyle on the park anyway. However having him off it sealed the deal.

Not sure exactly what was wrong with the formation. Conroy playing off Lyle should get him more involved in the game and a better shot/pass and we'd have gone in 1-1 at half time.

We don't look anywhere near threatening enough when we have 4 at the back IMO. I say IMO but the facts speak. Look at the Livi and more so the Morton game; we hardly looked like scoring. The same goes for today. One chance a half isn't good enough. Lyle is a great player for us, but he's not a lone striker, he needs support. With 3 at the back we're far more threatening as we have two wide players. Dowie was solid for us at RB last year but he doesn't have the legs to be a threat from RB.

If nothing else, we've an abundance of midfielders and 5 in the middle should be the way to go.

3-4-1-2 is IMO our best formation and had we played it today I genuinely believe we'd have caused far more problems/A problem! :(

We don't look anywhere near threatening enough when we have 4 at the back IMO. I say IMO but the facts speak. Look at the Livi and more so the Morton game; we hardly looked like scoring. The same goes for today. One chance a half isn't good enough. Lyle is a great player for us, but he's not a lone striker, he needs support. With 3 at the back we're far more threatening as we have two wide players. Dowie was solid for us at RB last year but he doesn't have the legs to be a threat from RB.

If nothing else, we've an abundance of midfielders and 5 in the middle should be the way to go.

3-4-1-2 is IMO our best formation and had we played it today I genuinely believe we'd have caused far more problems/A problem! :(

We had two wide players today, Russell and Harris.

We also played 4 at the back in the league wins at Livi and Dumbarton. If we play 3 at the back every week then there wasnt much point in signing Harris!

We had two wide players today, Russell and Harris.

We also played 4 at the back in the league wins at Livi and Dumbarton. If we play 3 at the back every week then there wasnt much point in signing Harris!

Yeah we had two wide players but I'm assuming Russell and Harris were to support Lyle. It leaves 2 in the middle (or 3 I suppose if you include Conroy, but then that still leaves Lyle alone). If we had 5 in the middle we'd have the two wide men with 3 still left in the middle of the park as well as 2 up top. We've got the players to do this and I think it suits them better. Higgins, Dowie and Brownlie are more than capable of holding their own as a back three. Marshall has looked better as a wingback IMO as he's a better in an attacking role (the same goes for Kidd). We don't have anyone who can be a good attacking threat at RB though.

How does playing 3 at the back effect Harris as opposed to a back 4? (Genuine question, not a smart-arse remark)

SFA advice in relation to former season ticket holders becoming referees.

The authorities must be independent and be seen to be independent. Former season ticket holders of Scottish League football clubs are acceptable and welcome as referees, but they must be seen to be impartial. Refereeing games involving clubs of which referees have been former season ticket holders is not embargoed but is not recommended.

He was pretty shit but let the record show it was that dickhead Crawford Allan who informed the ref to send Lyle off. Amazing decision considering Lyle had his back to him.

What's the chances of Allan advising the ref to send off a rangers player in the same situation . 100-1 ? 1000-1 maybe ?

MacWatt you are making a fool of yourself.

Madden can only be faulted for the first penalty and even that is coming down to a matter of opinion.

Give it up.

It says something for you that this game was the one many of us were wary of most. You have got a good thing going on down there and I hope you finished second. And not only so that I can laugh my cock off at Hibs and Smurn.

MacWatt you are making a fool of yourself.

Madden can only be faulted for the first penalty and even that is coming down to a matter of opinion.

Give it up.

It says something for you that this game was the one many of us were wary of most. You have got a good thing going on down there and I hope you finished second. And not only so that I can laugh my cock off at Hibs and Smurn.

What a strange post. Were you there?

No response to the issue raised.

Starts off with abuse. A sure sign of having already given up on debating the issue.

Madden's decisions are certainly questionable apart for Russell's hand ball.

Then a semi-literate explanation that you hate rival teams and would like us to finish above the teams you hate.

Don't give it up.

We want more.

I guess I called it right... embarrassing human being.

Which decisions did he get wrong ?

He may have booked the Rangers defender involved in the Lyle incident, but Lyle made a forward head movement after the head to head, both may have been booked or not if Lyle hadnt made a forward head movement after the head to head, Lyle was a silly boy..

Ref was perhaps card happy but I didnt see anything that pointed to blaming a ref for anything

Great we play QOS on Saturday. Perfect time to play a wounded animal :(.

Rangers will stick 5 past a few teams this season. Just shows how bad a job McCoist was doing or how good Warburton is.

A queens without Lyle will be a big plus and I dunno if Hilson is still out too

Instead of paying fortunes to ex players who were past the sell by date, not good enough or players who were no longer the same after bad injuries, Warburton has brought in good English players not fully paid up top class but probably on less money than the McCoist players with better performance output as he seems to be firm on fitness and formations to attack not the hoof ball McCoist seemed to be keen on. The fact that only 2 players remain from the McCoist era in todays line up paints its own picture and Miller I reckon will struggle to remain in that 11 as the season progresses. They do seem a bit suss at the back as St Mirren did show up at times but I can see them doing a Hearts

Yeah we had two wide players but I'm assuming Russell and Harris were to support Lyle. It leaves 2 in the middle (or 3 I suppose if you include Conroy, but then that still leaves Lyle alone). If we had 5 in the middle we'd have the two wide men with 3 still left in the middle of the park as well as 2 up top. We've got the players to do this and I think it suits them better. Higgins, Dowie and Brownlie are more than capable of holding their own as a back three. Marshall has looked better as a wingback IMO as he's a better in an attacking role (the same goes for Kidd). We don't have anyone who can be a good attacking threat at RB though.

How does playing 3 at the back effect Harris as opposed to a back 4? (Genuine question, not a smart-arse remark)

Playing 3 at the back today, though, would have left the wingbacks exposed against Rangers wingers and full backs. I agree with the rest of your point, Im not saying we should never play 3 at the back, but I wouldnt say it made any difference to the outcome of the game today.

Harris is a winger. I dont see where he would play in a 3-5-2. Much like Russell last year, who was dropped when we switched to that formation. He's only getting a game now because he's moved up front

Couldn't really see what happened for the red card, but what a difference 10 months makes, an attractive passing outfit turned into a bunch of hammer throwers, amazed that Queens chose that tactic this afternoon.

A surprisingly easy win for us, great move for the first goal. Mon the Gers.

The opening goal was the best of the bunch and McKay was top-drawer today. Brilliant transformation by him.

Back in the house and watched the Lyle incident in question in slow motion.

Ball goes out of play slight tangle between Tavernier and Lyle with Lyle almost side on to Tavernier he pushes his head ever so slightly in to lyles and then pushes Lyle while Lyle attempts to grab his arm.

Out of camera shot a slightly angry Kiernan appears and forces his head into Lyles and then Del kind of flicked his head in a slightly more aggressive manner.

So all three at fault and only one card produced, I for one am not surprised.

Archived