Degrees

invergowrie arab

In the spring of 2012, I wrote an article called "What will you do if you get a 2:2?" At the time I was in the last months of my final year at university. I'd written the piece as a way to assuage my fears. I was scared. Scared that I was heading for the dreaded 2:2, so I wanted to seek out others, those who'd also got the Desmond and managed to survive.
My fears became real. I remember looking at the transcript of my degree results. I'd missed the magical upper second, the golden gateway to so many graduate schemes and good jobs, by 1.5% below the grade boundary. I was hurt psychologically. Have others felt the same, and what effect did it have on their careers?

He probably should have tried revising instead.

It's not the whole picture but a degree classification is a reasonably good indicator of employability. There's obviously going to be exceptions and some people thrive in a workplace environment notably better or worse than they do in an academic one. The type of work you're doing also has a huge impact. A lawyer's degree classification is based on how they did in Honours subjects, many of which might have nothing or little to do with the real work of a lawyer in legal practice.

Some of the smartest people I know got 2:1s and they'll go on to be really successful people. What's a bigger issue is that the gap between someone who just missed out on a first, and someone who just scraped a 2:1 is, across the board, a massive gulf that employers can scarcely measure at all. My best friend got a 2:1 in his degree but if I were a big corporate law firm of course I'd take him over me. My Honours options focused on constitutional law, human rights and administrative law. He did commercial banking, commercial law and civil litigation.

One of my friends got a 2:2, just missing out because she overreached herself in her final year with extracurricular commitments, including a role at the student union that was high commitment time and energy wise. She's one of the most motivated and capable people I know and although she took a year out after her results came in, she's gone on to get grad job offers from KPMG, Nestle and the civil service. She's doing just fine for herself. And once you're in the door, let's be honest they don't give a f**k when looking at promotions and opportunities what degree you got. They want to know how good you are at the actual job you've been assigned to.

Degree classifications only matter in a concrete sense as an initial indicator of competence, for prestige, and as an aid for academia to prioritise funding for postgraduate programmes. That's it really.

a bigger issue is that the gap between someone who just missed out on a first, and someone who just scraped a 2:1 is, across the board, a massive gulf that employers can scarcely measure at all.

This.

Almost a decade on and I've self admittedly still got a rather large chip on my shoulder after missing out on a first by a single CAS mark. I never enjoyed my graduation and saw it as a failure. My only memory of the whole day is waiting in a queue for gown / photos, with the crushing disappointment that the thing you hold in your photo isn't a degree but a shitey bit of plastic tubing with a ribbon tied around it. There was a night out though, so that be a factor of course.

That and my mum grinding Dundee's Kingsway to a halt after breaking down on the old roundabout (now traffic lights) because she put petrol in the new diesel car at the adjacent Shell station. Probably the highlight of the day in fact.

When I got my degree 40 years ago (no, really!) it really didn't matter what you got, rather where you got it.

I graduated 31 years ago and this was true but not the whole story. For sure having a 2.2 from a 'good' place was more acceptable that a 2.1 from a 'bad' place but there was still scope, even then, for those with a good degree to get a good position in a decent company wherever one had studied.

Thankfully graduate recruitment assessment has move on a lot an I welcome EY's approach.

So we've discussed degree class and where one studied. There's a third factor which is subject, which seems to have been ignored.

Degree subject, institution and degree class all play a role.

That's just demonstrably stupid.

I think the most demonstably stupid thing I've seen on this board is your claim that the majority of Scots graduates move to England...

What a silly c**t.

"The majority of graduates in Scotland go to London or somewhere else in England."

"There are many MANY Scots who are desperate to leave this country as soon as they graduate. The majority will do so."

Just in case anyone did actually think oaksoft had the first idea about anything graduate related (unlikely I know, but you can't be too careful)

If the money makes being elbow deep in other people's shit and piss somehow a more acceptable way to spend your day what's stopping you.

No age limit on an HND.

Personally I prefer quality of work over money any day of the week.

How long did you spend as a plumber before you decided they don't have 'quality of work '?

Am I correct in thinking that people who think degree classifications don't matter in recruitment are the same p***ks who come up with questions like 'Please tell us about a time when you required to be an effective communicator' on job application forms?

Eh, I wrote essays and dealt with essay and problem solving questions in exams for four years during which time I communicated a fair bit.

Can we expect you to start posting naked photos of yourself next?

Please keep your rather sordid fantasies to yourself, if you don't mind.

You already creep me out. Though at least you aren't claiming now that you know where I live, as you previously did, which is some comfort.

Am I correct in thinking that people who think degree classifications don't matter in recruitment are the same p***ks who come up with questions like 'Please tell us about a time when you required to be an effective communicator' on job application forms?

Eh, I wrote essays and dealt with essay and problem solving questions in exams for four years during which time I communicated a fair bit.

If I was interviewing for my job and the answer was between yours and "Well, last month my traders were short 1.2m in b*****dcorp shares when they announced a rights issue, which left us short in rights with 3 banks I've never heard of but mysteriously long with Megabank who we, for some reason, had loaned 2.4m shares despite having nowhere near that amount in the first place. All 4 banks decided to set different deadlines for the event, and all were working off a different settlement timetable as a result of the shares being held across different platforms, and they all wanted me to do something different with their rights positions. I had to email everyone telling them to stop acting like c***s and show some patience while I worked out how the f**k I could resolve the issue, keeping everyone happy and within their own respective timescales. In the end I realised I couldn't so worked out which would hit us least financially and which would be the easiest to explain in the error report I need to send to head office and done that while sending a very courteous email to the bank we couldn't keep happy saying sorry for the extra paperwork this will give you", I think I would employ the second person.

If the money makes being elbow deep in other people's shit and piss somehow a more acceptable way to spend your day what's stopping you.

No age limit on an HND.

Personally I prefer quality of work over money any day of the week.

Where did I say they don't have quality of work?

Archived