Raith v Queens

Do Queens really have Lyle, Russell, Smith, Heffernan, Coogans, Hilson and Oliver on the books? Seven strikers? Any long term injuries amongst those? I know Russell seems to be primarily used wide, but it seems barmy.

Hope to see us return to winning ways after two tough away fixtures at Hibs and Rangers. Still feel being without Callachan and Vaughan makes us substantially weaker though.

Daly to score.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do Queens really have Lyle, Russell, Smith, Heffernan, Coogans, Hilson and Oliver on the books? Seven strikers? Any long term injuries amongst those? I know Russell seems to be primarily used wide, but it seems barmy.

Hope to see us return to winning ways after two tough away fixtures at Hibs and Rangers. Still feel being without Callachan and Vaughan makes us substantially weaker though.

Daly to score.

It is barmy, particularly when you consider we went through a large part of last season with just Lyle and Reilly as recognised strikers once Baird had spat the dummy and forced his move to Falkirk.

Despite these extra numbers we looked more of a goal threat last season, and I'm a bit more than slightly concerned that Fowler is approaching our lack of goals and chances created in a Football Manager style fashion by signing as many strikers as he can, ignoring the root causes of the problem, namely our midfield.

Daly to score.

Russell hasn't played as an out and out striker for us much until this season and I think he will go back to playing wide left with the new arrivals. Hilson is unfortunately out for a decent amount of time and I doubt Heffernan will feature much.

It is barmy, particularly when you consider we went through a large part of last season with just Lyle and Reilly as recognised strikers once Baird had spat the dummy and forced his move to Falkirk.

Despite these extra numbers we looked more of a goal threat last season, and I'm a bit more than slightly concerned that Fowler is approaching our lack of goals and chances created in a Football Manager style fashion by signing as many strikers as he can, ignoring the root causes of the problem, namely our midfield.

Almost all of them can also play out wide. As Broony said, Hilson is injured and Heffernan is unlikely to feature much (still not really sure why we signed him to be honest). Bringing in a couple of forwards means he has the option of playing Russell out wide again.

That, plus having Harris available again, should give a better balance to the midfield. I dont see any issue with Millar and Jacobs but we have been lacking in wide areas lately.

Russell hasn't played as an out and out striker for us much until this season and I think he will go back to playing wide left with the new arrivals. Hilson is unfortunately out for a decent amount of time and I doubt Heffernan will feature much.

Plus Smith is still young and inexperienced. I havent seen Coogans but the others are all fairly different in their style of play.

Almost all of them can also play out wide. As Broony said, Hilson is injured and Heffernan is unlikely to feature much (still not really sure why we signed him to be honest). Bringing in a couple of forwards means he has the option of playing Russell out wide again.

That, plus having Harris available again, should give a better balance to the midfield. I dont see any issue with Millar and Jacobs but we have been lacking in wide areas lately.

Plus Smith is still young and inexperienced. I havent seen Coogans but the others are all fairly different in their style of play.

So you agree we have a surplus of strikers on the books then.

Hilson has a broken bone in his foot and faces a month or two out. Smith, and Coogans for that matter, are only 18 (not long turned 18 in Smith's case) and not likely to be regular starters. Coogans is for the moment only here until New Year too. Russell isn't generally used as a forward unless we're short up top. Lyle is 35 and whilst fit as a fiddle it's probably not reasonable to expect him to start every game.

With his successful appeal does this put lyle in starting 11 for Saturday and who is likely to be paired with him smith or Coogan maybe

Oliver is more than likely going to start. Del and Gary for me with Harris on the right and beany on the left.

Queens team

A Goalie

Kidd Dowie Higgins Marshall

Harris Millar Jacobs Russell

Oliver Lyle

Subs

A Goalie, Brownlie Hutton Conroy Smith Heffernan Moxon Coogans.

If that's the line-up we have to pray Raith don't have a cracking left sided player or we'll get shafted :lol: Kidd can't defend and it's clear that Harris doesn't enjoy doing it either. So Raith's LM could have a whale of a time against those two.

For me I'm hoping for:-

GK Thomson

CB Dowie

CB Brownlie

CB Higgins

RWB Kidd/Harris

LWB Marshall

CM Millar(or Tapping if he was fit)

CM Jacobs

AM Conroy

ST Lyle

ST Oliver

I can't imagine Lyle will be dropped so it's a case of who partners him. Oliver looked good when he came on but that's not to say Smith was poor. The boy didn't get any service and IMO he had a better game than Lyle. Harsh to drop him but as I say, I'd be shocked to see him dropped.

If that's the line-up we have to pray Raith don't have a cracking left sided player or we'll get shafted :lol: Kidd can't defend and it's clear that Harris doesn't enjoy doing it either. So Raith's LM could have a whale of a time against those two.

For me I'm hoping for:-

GK Thomson

CB Dowie

CB Brownlie

CB Higgins

RWB Kidd/Harris

LWB Marshall

CM Millar(or Tapping if he was fit)

CM Jacobs

AM Conroy

ST Lyle

ST Oliver

I can't imagine Lyle will be dropped so it's a case of who partners him. Oliver looked good when he came on but that's not to say Smith was poor. The boy didn't get any service and IMO he had a better game than Lyle. Harsh to drop him but as I say, I'd be shocked to see him dropped.

That's exact team I'd play, on paper looks strong. It's the silly errors we need to cut out, saying that being a scoring threat would be nice

Archived