iPad, iPad mini or other

RH33

I need to get a tablet but as I'm totally not tech savy need some pointers. I have an iPhone 5 so iPad seems obvious choice.

I'll be using it for my open uni stuff mainly. I'll use my pc for typing assignments.

I just got the iPad Air 2 last week. I knew that the iPad Pro was to be released but I felt with its size it may be a little cumbersome for the use as a tablet.

The Air 2 has been excellent thus far and compared to my old 2nd gen iPad it's so much faster, slimmer and the retina display is beautiful.

You can also get Microsoft office for it etc.

• 6 months later...

I have sold my ipad mini and went for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 4. Basically only cost me £15. I have the fear going to android but I have downloaded skygo and virgin tv onto it which is all I really use tablets for so I can't see it being too much of a problem. It's a 7" screen compared to the Ipad mini's 8" so it's a bit smaller but that means I shouldn't drop it on my face when I'm lying in bed.

The Linx 10 tablets are great. Full version of Windows so no limitations to what you can do. Also comes with a full version of Office. £150.

http://www.ebuyer.com/664367-linx-10-32gb-tablet-with-office-and-antivirus-linx10b?gclid=CjwKEAjwq6m3BRCP7IfMq6Oo9gESJACRc0bNKvJ1gJAGvuZkR6vbsn_Ra7zUoDZRoCjEd4eR9Dxr9hoCgTjw_wcB#fo_c=951&fo_k=3c5f5428fc32b92f598c6b419658f3af&fo_s=gplauk?mkwid=sEojiJncF_dc&pcrid=51482417339&pkw=&pmt=

Cheaper the now, no idea if they are any good right enough.

That's the one. Great machine, ridiculous value for money. I have the Linx 10, and just ordered the Linx Vision 8 for playing my Xbox One games on!

• 3 weeks later...

Bump. Looking to get a decent 10" tablet for uni as carrying the laptop about is becoming annoying. It's too heavy. How does this Linx 10 square up against the Galaxy S2 Tab? If the S2 is that much better then I'll go for it, unless anyone has other recommendations. I can also never tell if 16GB is enough storage, folk seem convinced that it's not but all I'll use it for is word documents and pdfs.

I picked up a Chuwi Hi8 this week for £75 new.

Superb tablet, comes with both Windows 10 and Android.

32GB ROM

2GB RAM

Quad core Intel Atom (Android is fast as f**k with this)

MicroSD slot

8" 1920x1080 resolution (the screen is stunning).

Recommend them for anyone looking for a cost efficient, powerful tablet. This runs everything you throw at it and can be used for emulation etc

• 3 weeks later...

I got an iPad Air2 to replace my iPad 2 and it is very good. My wife has a Samsung Galaxy S2 8 inch and, if anything it has an even better display than the Air2. It also has more RAM and a faster processor. It's around the same price as the iPad mini. I would have gone for the Samsung 10 inch version but stuck with the iPad due to a £80 odd pound trade in offer Apple do.

Bump. Looking to get a decent 10" tablet for uni as carrying the laptop about is becoming annoying. It's too heavy. How does this Linx 10 square up against the Galaxy S2 Tab? If the S2 is that much better then I'll go for it, unless anyone has other recommendations. I can also never tell if 16GB is enough storage, folk seem convinced that it's not but all I'll use it for is word documents and pdfs.

For what it's worth, you probably won't.  Tablets are so functional, my 16gb quickly proved too small, and I don't really use too many apps, and I certainly don't play any games.  

• 4 months later...
On 4/8/2016 at 00:43, cults_sheep said:

I picked up a Chuwi Hi8 this week for £75 new.

Superb tablet, comes with both Windows 10 and Android.

32GB ROM

2GB RAM

Quad core Intel Atom (Android is fast as f**k with this)

MicroSD slot

8" 1920x1080 resolution (the screen is stunning).

Recommend them for anyone looking for a cost efficient, powerful tablet. This runs everything you throw at it and can be used for emulation etc

How's this holding up? I'm still torn up with this but I'm going to have to make a decision in the next couple of weeks. Cost wise this and the Linx 1010B are excellent value, but it's their longevity that concerns me, as I don't want to be having this same discussion this time next year.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my linx yesterday. It's going back tomorrow. After updating it's stupendously slow and the Wi-Fi connectivity is a mess, perpetually disconnects after sleeping and takes hours to sort.

I'm also not a fan of the windows OS on a tablet. It's too fiddly. Back to the drawing table, looks like its android for me.

On 5 September 2016 at 19:15, Big Fifer said:

How's this holding up? I'm still torn up with this but I'm going to have to make a decision in the next couple of weeks. Cost wise this and the Linx 1010B are excellent value, but it's their longevity that concerns me, as I don't want to be having this same discussion this time next year.

He cant answer that question cos he be banned!

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a Galaxy Note 10.1 for almost 4 years now.  It has done a decent job.  However as it runs Android 4.4.2 its feeling a bit outdated and I do find the Samsung bloatware to be incredibly annoying.   

I'm looking for a tablet that has Android 6 at least and isn't packed with useless bloatware.  Any suggestions?  My ideal tablet would probably be the Pixel C but I'm struggling to justify the £399 price tag so looking for something reasonably priced too.

On 06/10/2016 at 00:16, NorthernLights said:

I've had a Galaxy Note 10.1 for almost 4 years now.  It has done a decent job.  However as it runs Android 4.4.2 its feeling a bit outdated and I do find the Samsung bloatware to be incredibly annoying.   

I'm looking for a tablet that has Android 6 at least and isn't packed with useless bloatware.  Any suggestions?  My ideal tablet would probably be the Pixel C but I'm struggling to justify the £399 price tag so looking for something reasonably priced too.

Argos are doing a refurbished Nexus 9 for £229. Great tablet with an excellent screen and good speakers. Built by HTC. 

Also worth looking on gumtree for them too , got one for my father in law for £125

Mines has also updated to android 7 and Google make sure the Nexus gets the first updates

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just gone for a Samsung Tab A 10.1 to replace my old Kindle Fire which was

• a bit small now
  • slow as shit
  • deeply frustrating due to the inadequacies of the Amazon Store as opposed to Google Play Store (in terms of choice and quality of apps)

Looks good so far.

Archived