Scotlands last genuine world class player?

RobbieD

3 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Is Trent Alexander Arnold one of the best fullbacks in the world? Is Karius one of the best keepers in the world? Is Jordan Henderson one of the best midfielders in the world?

Seriously?

Are they some of the best performing players in the team?

Your reading selectively 

2 hours ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Messi and Ronaldo have performed at the highest level for many years.

Salah has had a great season but he's needs to reproduce that form for a few seasons to merit comparison with them.

A goal every 2 games for his previous 2 seasons, he didn't just come out a box

I get what your saying, and possibly there is. Slightly :-)

I think, for all these years, we’ve all rightly slagged England up for overhyping some of their players with the world class tag after a few months or a breakthrough from a player into a team.

I also think that’s what we’re doing right now too though, probably cause we aren’t used to having someone play at this level for a long time.

Fletcher has really been the only one, and that was also different because he was at United before we even knew anything about him, he never had the fairytale school of hard knocks story behind him.

Love Robertson to bits but he’s 24, he’s a great player, not buying the potential best in the world at his position or world class stuff though. Don’t really see him coming close to reaching a Marcelo or Jordi Alba level. Think we’re getting carried away.

Love him but is he really even that much better or better at all than guys like Danny Rose, Marcus Alonso, Ben Davies, Cresswell, Azpilicieta, Mendy, Clichy, Monreal etc etc in the Prem?

Wouldn’t say any of them are or will be world class with the exception of maybe Mendy.

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Don’t really see him coming close to reaching a Marcelo or Jordi Alba level. Think we’re getting carried away

Your definition of world class is harsh tho, in my mind one of the best in the world is a top ten kind of deal. Position specific 

And I'd say he does have the potential to be a top ten left back. Its debatable sure. Whether I'm biased I don't know, maybe just more interested cos he's Scottish.

He's not Marcelo or Jordi Alba sure, but every next level he reaches he adapts and thrives in. So it's hard to say how far he can reach.

9 hours ago, Miguel Simao said:

Bobby Firmino and Mane are clearly world class players. Not sure if Andy will ever reach that level, but he's been the best left back in the premier league since the start of the year and has all the attributes needed to possibly become  one of the top players in the world for his position.

Having a strong bias I'm not going to enter the debate about "oor Andy", but this particular text perplexed me. If he is genuinely "the best left" back in one of the top three leagues in the world, and has the potential to "become  one of the top players in the world for his position" then wouldn't that mean he would have reached world class level if he achieved that? If we look at the world's best players then Pele, Cruyf, Best, Ronaldo & Messi will feature in most people's lists, and yet few will think of Banks, Beckenbauer or Carlos Alberto, so it's fair to say that the bar is set higher for flair players.

So what makes a "world class player"? In my view it's fairly simple...................if you are arguably one of the top five players in the world in your preferred position, then I think that qualifies as "world class".  Is that not a reasonable measurement?

Having a strong bias I'm not going to enter the debate about "oor Andy", but this particular text perplexed me. If he is genuinely "the best left" back in one of the top three leagues in the world, and has the potential to "become  one of the top players in the world for his position" then wouldn't that mean he would have reached world class level if he achieved that? If we look at the world's best players then Pele, Cruyf, Best, Ronaldo & Messi will feature in most people's lists, and yet few will think of Banks, Beckenbauer or Carlos Alberto, so it's fair to say that the bar is set higher for flair players.
So what makes a "world class player"? In my view it's fairly simple...................if you are arguably one of the top five players in the world in your preferred position, then I think that qualifies as "world class".  Is that not a reasonable measurement?

I think it's reasonable but the wc term is super subjective. If we're going to say he can't be world class till he becomes as good as Marcelo (who we're maybe a bit too used to seeing edited highlights of) then I think we're taking it too far/ too close to "best in the world"

Is Jordan Henderson wc? Not at the moment, but if he serves as a driving force to help win Liverpool the Champions League then he deserves to be in the debate

Robertson certainly on his way. Think you could make a good argument for him being the best left back in the EPL this season, and therefore in the top 5 in his position in the world.

Been a while but if he can continue these levels of performance next season, and keep making an impact at the sharp end of the UCL then we will finally have a top player on our hands.

22 hours ago, IainMorton said:

The thing that bugs me, is that players these days only seem to be deemed world class if they get a move to Real Madrid or Barcelona. If you only play for someone like Liverpool or Manchester United (who are just as big, if not bigger, than the two Spanish sides) then you are only classed as an excellent player.

Liverpool and Man U are miles off Barca and Real. You just have to look at players like Isco struggling to get regular games at Real, he'd absolutely stroll into any other team on the planet and is probably the best young player on the planet. 

Liverpool and Man U are miles off Barca and Real. You just have to look at players like Isco struggling to get regular games at Real, he'd absolutely stroll into any other team on the planet and is probably the best young player on the planet. 

He would stroll into Man U or Liverpool initially, but that doesn't mean he'd be a sucess. Morata is one example of a player who has arguably struggled more since coming to England.

2 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

He would stroll into Man U or Liverpool initially, but that doesn't mean he'd be a sucess. Morata is one example of a player who has arguably struggled more since coming to England.

Morata was your bog standard flat track bully at Real. Only EPL player better than him in that AM area is De Bruyne 

Morata was your bog standard flat track bully at Real. Only EPL player better than him in that AM area is De Bruyne 

But the point stands: he has not come to England and 'strolled it'

Diego Costa arguably had far more success in Spain than he did in England. Probably loads of other examples either way but the point is that a good player in the Spanish league does not automatically = an EPL megastar

1 minute ago, Gordopolis said:

But the point stands: he has not come to England and 'strolled it'

Isco would. Morata has always been a one dimensional poacher, which is why he was allowed to leave. 

Every elite player on the planet is at Real or Barca, which is why players who get moves there are easily classed as World Class, compared to those who get moves to Liverpool or Man U. 

Isco would. Morata has always been a one dimensional poacher, which is why he was allowed to leave. 
Every elite player on the planet is at Real or Barca, which is why players who get moves there are easily classed as World Class, compared to those who get moves to Liverpool or Man U. 

That kind of tees up a point I wasn't sure how to make: if playing regularly for Barca or Real makes you more or less world class, then how likely/unlikely does it seem that Robertson might get such a move? I'd say it'd be a big stretch but not a ridiculous one (i.e. underlining my belief that he's capable of becoming world class).

21 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

That kind of tees up a point I wasn't sure how to make: if playing regularly for Barca or Real makes you more or less world class, then how likely/unlikely does it seem that Robertson might get such a move? I'd say it'd be a big stretch but not a ridiculous one (i.e. underlining my belief that he's capable of becoming world class).

I wouldn't be stunned to see him at Barca in three or four years. No chance he goes when Jordi Alba/Marcelo are still active, but in four years Alba will be done and Robertson will be entering his peak. Real have a young left back who looks to be groomed to replace Marcelo. 

So by that argument, if Robertson goes to Real or Barcelona he would then be deemed as being "world class" but not by anybody here???