Scotlands last genuine world class player?

RobbieD

2 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

Looked like he would develop into a World beater when he was at Hibs. Best Scottish player I'd seen since Durrant was coming through at Rangers. Went to Celtic and it never quite happened. He's had a good career but it hasn't quite hit the heights I thought it would.

in what world is a world beating footballer someone who cannot pass or shoot, browns ability was to run around for 90minutes annoying the life out of the opposition, now his legs are gone he has heehaw

in what world is a world beating footballer someone who cannot pass or shoot, browns ability was to run around for 90minutes annoying the life out of the opposition, now his legs are gone he has heehaw

They changed his game at Celtic. I recall him looking a better player while he was at Hibs.

2 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

They changed his game at Celtic. I recall him looking a better player while he was at Hibs.

his scoring record at hibs was 1 in 6, so goals at hibs werent his focal point, unless celtic trained passing out of him, he looks like he has never learned to in the first place

what you notice about brown now is that he doesnt cover as much ground as before, therefore defenively he isnt the main midfielder anymore, he's lost when people simply walk by him

his scoring record at hibs was 1 in 6, so goals at hibs werent his focal point, unless celtic trained passing out of him, he looks like he has never learned to in the first place

what you notice about brown now is that he doesnt cover as much ground as before, therefore defenively he isnt the main midfielder anymore, he's lost when people simply walk by him

No idea what Celtic did to him but, for me, he was the player with the most potential since Durrant and he turned into a Celtic journeyman type like Roy Aitken or Murdo MacLeod.

10 hours ago, kenny131 said:

Our next 1 will be Burke currently at forest. And should be 1st on the team sheet starting with the Malta match..the kid is the real deal..but we all know WGS probably won't even have him in the sqaud.

Can we wait just a wee bit before we do an England-style heaping of pressure on a player?  I'd be fairly comfortable in saying he will never be "World Class".  That's no bad thing.

46 minutes ago, Officer Barbrady said:

Good job the lad seems self-motivated. With that attitude, he'll have to be!

Any player who just accepts his mediocrity, and doesnt strive to be better with each passing year, desrves to be retired. 

I have no problem with what he thinks, but saying that he'll definitely be world class is a bit much at this extremely early stage.  I'd also imagine labelling him as such would do more harm than good.

He could turn out to be that good, or he could be shite.  Or he could turn out to be just very good.  If he's at least that, I'll be delighted.  But I'm not going to proclaim him to be the second coming, just so I can wail and gnash my teeth in a few years if he turns out to be something else.

I agree with you to an extent foram........we have seen a lot of young players get overhyped but that is in part the fault of the media IMHO, of course, they need headlines, to create a buzz and make sales and the like but I also think that the fault also lies with Individual Players and the people around them too. As a Nation in general we seem to have a terrible attitude at times when it comes to success, we think one tiny of bit success means we have made it and that's you but in order to sustain it you really need to work work work and have the right people around you to help that happen, too many have these leech like hangers on and friends clinging onto their mates "fame" and the doors it opens, too many act the big I am around town acting like they own the place. Strachan, much to my annoyance, ji**es over Bale at any chance he gets but to reference the guy for a second, the likes of him, Messi, Ronaldo all hyped as young players and who have made it because they were dedicated to making the best of the gift they were given. They are all special talents but they weren't as good as they are now at 16-18, point being is they were willing to make the sacrifices needed and required to make it, dare I say it they probably had the right people behind them supporting them too, I just do not think there is the same dedication in our psyche as a footballing nation to want to really want to push ourselves as much as we can. He gets talked about a lot but Ryan Gauld the perfect example in his choice to move to Portugal, willing to bet had he stayed here, played 200 games in SPL he would now probably be starting this season in League 1 playing for some no mark team that offered 500k for him in his last year of contract. He might never make it of course but least he had the determination to try and make something of himself, we need more of that.

Maybe I am wrong and someone could maybe correct me on that but I personally do not think the Scottish Clubs do enough in terms of ensuring younger Players get the right welfare and social training. I know they probably get the PFA chats on these things but do Clubs actually employ proper Welfare Officers and Player Liaison Staff etc to help better guide these young lads and steer them onto the right path rather than allow them to waste the talent they have? Granted it is ultimately down to the player if they want to make a decision and do something stupid I guess but still.

As for Ollie Burke he has potential yes but sadly we have a Dinosaur in charge who will call him up but will have no clue about how to best integrate a player like that. He will just keeping giving chances to 32 and 33 year olds who have failed before!

3 hours ago, forameus said:

I have no problem with what he thinks, but saying that he'll definitely be world class is a bit much at this extremely early stage.  I'd also imagine labelling him as such would do more harm than good.

He could turn out to be that good, or he could be shite.  Or he could turn out to be just very good.  If he's at least that, I'll be delighted.  But I'm not going to proclaim him to be the second coming, just so I can wail and gnash my teeth in a few years if he turns out to be something else.

No one went to Hampden in 1971, proclaiming Dalglish to be anything other than the best player in his position.....what followed at Anfield, dictated his being World class over more than a decade. And certainly more than he showed with Scotland.....but i agree, it would be much more justifiable to proclaim him, or anyone, if the conveyor belt was churning out players of a standard which deserved such labels....and the lad may be subject to unfair treatment because of other people's inadequacies. 

11 hours ago, forameus said:

Can we wait just a wee bit before we do an England-style heaping of pressure on a player?  I'd be fairly comfortable in saying he will never be "World Class".  That's no bad thing.

Same old negativity from the worst poster on here.  

Can't you post anything positive or reply to anyone else's posts positively..

The kid believes in himself and where he wants to go, he gets the thumbs up from me and has all the attributes at his disposal to make it big. I am fairly comfortable in saying your worst poster on here

16 minutes ago, kenny131 said:

Same old negativity from the worst poster on here.  

Can't you post anything positive or reply to anyone else's posts positively..

The kid believes in himself and where he wants to go, he gets the thumbs up from me and has all the attributes at his disposal to make it big. I am fairly comfortable in saying your worst poster on here

That's no bad thing

Yeah...last time I checked, that's not exactly negative.  I did take issue with your ridiculous assertion that he's going to be World Class.  Maybe he will, maybe he won't.  I'd edge more on the latter.  It's called an opinion, and I don't think it's particularly negative to say that a young player that looks pretty good might not end up being World Class.  Like I said in a further post (I'm sure you've read it through the tears of fury), he only really needs to hit the "very good" level to be one of our best options.

But it's sweet that you're singling me out like that :wub: I think you're confusing me with someone who really cares.  I'm happy to have decent discussions with people - like Barbrady, who can at least discuss a point pretty well.  Whereas  it seems like you've just posted absolute pish for the most part, and seem to have an unhealthy obsession with what I post.  

I'd say that I'd go away, think about what I've done, and then change for you, but I'm fairly comfortable in saying that I can fit all the fucks I give about what you think about my posts on the back of a fag packet.    

2 hours ago, Officer Barbrady said:

No one went to Hampden in 1971, proclaiming Dalglish to be anything other than the best player in his position.....what followed at Anfield, dictated his being World class over more than a decade. And certainly more than he showed with Scotland.....but i agree, it would be much more justifiable to proclaim him, or anyone, if the conveyor belt was churning out players of a standard which deserved such labels....and the lad may be subject to unfair treatment because of other people's inadequacies. 

That's fair enough.  Again, I'm not saying he definitely won't be, just I don't believe we're capable of producing someone who is truly World Class anymore.  Hopefully I'm wrong, but again I'll say it, he could completely miss World Class and still be the best player we've had in decades.  That is no bad thing.

Well aye, because Barry Ferguson, then before him John Collins, and arguably McAllister and Lambert, whilst our four last 'best' players, were still well short of that title. 

But how exactly can being capable of producing better than them, be judged? Many Scots have been given better chances in the EPL than for quite some time, even though its awash with cash....dispelling two myths simultaneously, one being Scottish players are unrated, and the second that money is the root of the problem. A players fee doesn't make him automatically good, but it does give an endorsement that they are no less ridiculously priced than their peers. Arguably, a compliment, given that they're constantly told they're pish by Strachan. 

All this aside, we have no one with the dedication of Ibrahimovic, or Eriksen, or even Robbie fucking Keane, to make it to the top.....its not what you see on the telly that makes these players great, playing for similar teams to us, it's what you don't see...the training, the hard graft to stay where they are, the clean living, constant need for improvement.....and unfortunately, most of our players don't have that much talent to worry about pissing it up a wall. The ones who have been precocious enough to do inventive things (McFadden, McCann, Duncan Ferguson?) either struggled to keep fit with the big boys, or lost their heads. We're due one soon, given the amount of relatively large number of middling-to-average jobbers we produce.

16 hours ago, forameus said:

That's fair enough.  Again, I'm not saying he definitely won't be, just I don't believe we're capable of producing someone who is truly World Class anymore.  Hopefully I'm wrong, but again I'll say it, he could completely miss World Class and still be the best player we've had in decades.  That is no bad thing.

The Oracle has spoken....scotland will never produce another world class player. A very upbeat post AGAIN

The Oracle has spoken....scotland will never produce another world class player. A very upbeat post AGAIN

I don't actually think that's what he wrote!!!