Scotlands last genuine world class player?

RobbieD

Their 1-0 win against us was at Hampden. Fond memories of Lee McCulloch clearing a Maloney shot off the line.

Chortle.
Annoying thing is Smith barely got questioned about that result. Belarus weren't a bad team by any means, but the press were so sycophantic it was untrue.

Back on topic. I've never seen a world class Scotland player, not been one in my lifetime. That includes Dalglish, although he must be the closest.

Tend to agree.....at least the foreign leagues chased Denis law n he had a fame pre tv or Internet that extended to most European nations. Dalglish was defo brill....but none of the major European teams seemed to be after him....no sure why.

26 minutes ago, dogmc said:

Tend to agree.....at least the foreign leagues chased Denis law n he had a fame pre tv or Internet that extended to most European nations. Dalglish was defo brill....but none of the major European teams seemed to be after him....no sure why.

Probably cos he was already playing for the best Club side in Europe at the time. Liverpool. 4 European Cup wins in 8 years. A truely outstanding team of the era.

Probably cos he was already playing for the best Club side in Europe at the time. Liverpool. 4 European Cup wins in 8 years. A truely outstanding team of the era.

Yeah true enough. It's a different dynamic now with clubs more aggressive about spending to catch up with the top sides.

Could've been a number of reasons, but two that stick out are who would they have replaced him with, and would he have left? Absolutely not. You see the affinity he has with Liverpool is arguably bigger than he has with Glasgow. They simply had no need to sell anyway given that it was far from the environment of today. 

13 hours ago, dogmc said:

Showing your age there. Liverpool were the Barca of their day.

Aye; when Ian Rush went off to Juventus, it seemed he was trying something different, rather than moving to a bigger club. Had English clubs not been banned from Europe at the time, he certainly wouldn't have had a better chance of winning trophies by going elsewhere.

Showing your age there. Liverpool were the Barca of their day.

In those days the Germans n Italians were big spenders. And yes I'm an auld git as it goes [emoji16] I'm not knocking Dalglish and equally press were far more compliant in those pre Internet rolling 24hr coverage days but would have thought that some of them might have at least asked the question. Perhaps some did and we never heard. AnywayI'd still say law is our last truly world class player and I'm no gonna moan at anyone saying Dalglish. Depressingly though in the meantime less popular sports in this country ( no I'm not including feckin snooker) have in that period seen guys like chris hoy andy Murray Stuart hogg Gregor townsend gav hastings liz mccolgan n Allan wells at the very top of their sport. Yes sports not anything like as popular as football.....but with our population that makes their success even more unlikely statistically.

28 minutes ago, dogmc said:

In those days the Germans n Italians were big spenders. And yes I'm an auld git as it goes emoji16.png I'm not knocking Dalglish and equally press were far more compliant in those pre Internet rolling 24hr coverage days but would have thought that some of them might have at least asked the question. Perhaps some did and we never heard. AnywayI'd still say law is our last truly world class player and I'm no gonna moan at anyone saying Dalglish. Depressingly though in the meantime less popular sports in this country ( no I'm not including feckin snooker) have in that period seen guys like chris hoy andy Murray Stuart hogg Gregor townsend gav hastings liz mccolgan n Allan wells at the very top of their sport. Yes sports not anything like as popular as football.....but with our population that makes their success even more unlikely statistically.

They were but I'm sure they, like the Spanish Clubs were restricted to 2 foreign players in their squad. I'm sure in England a British passport classified you as a "home" player even if you were Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish plying your trade in the English league.

They were but I'm sure they, like the Spanish Clubs were restricted to 2 foreign players in their squad. I'm sure in England a British passport classified you as a "home" player even if you were Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish plying your trade in the English league.

Yeah good shout actually that's something I'd totally forgotten!! Wonder if guys like Craig johnston being part of the old empire could still count too for Liverpool ??

Just now, conley said:

Barry Ferguson was a top notch player. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know anything about football.

I would also add that he was not world class.

I'd agree with that.

He hardly played for Clyde (one 45 minute appearance) but part of his warm-up for that game involved him slinging 50/60 yard passes across the pitch to one of the kitman, some from a stationary start, some when he was moving. The kitman didn't need to move once.

He also did one of the wee rondo drills and was miles ahead of anyone else; there was no danger of him taking a shot in the middle.

He was definitely the last one good enough to not look out of place against the top, top sides of the day. McAllister, McStay and frequently Collins failed to replicate their club form in the big matches, and even JC's last match at Wembley, he was completely overshadowed by Ferguson. Still short, though.