Scotlands last genuine world class player?

RobbieD

On 8/29/2016 at 11:08, Underpants Gnome said:

Can't believe the amount of mentions Barry Ferguson has got in this thread...

Mental. Surely some are on the wind up?

I think Ferguson could have risen further than he did at Rangers, but he really needed to go to England or abroad to improve before he turned into into a sideways passing crab.

Very good at what he did tho - could retain possession at any level. Not the sexiest role but a vital one.

He couldn't though, down South he was nothing more than your average deep midfielder

30 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He couldn't though, down South he was nothing more than your average deep midfielder

Average or pretty good? I'm not saying he was like Vieira down in England, but he did well enough - Blackburn captain and player of the year.

He got a big money move to the EPL, he started every game Rangers played in Europe and he was a first pick and captain for Scotland because he was good at what he did: retaining possession (or being a crab if you prefer). 

Fletcher, Ferguson and Hartley formed an excellent unit for Scotland in midfield and since Ferguson made an arse of himself and ended his own international career, I don't think we've quite filled the gap he left.

• 2 weeks later...
What exactly is world class anyway? Ronaldo and Messi? If so, I doubt we have ever had anyone. Maybe Law

Liverpool were winning European Cups and they had a few Scots. Presumably some of them were the mythical World Class?

Our turn at a Gareth Bale type can't be far off.

What exactly is world class anyway? Ronaldo and Messi? If so, I doubt we have ever had anyone. Maybe Law

World class to me would be a player who is in the top 3 or 4 players in his position in the world. Unfortunately Sky have very much diluted the meaning of the phrase.

I'm too young to have seen any world class Scotland players. My guess would be that you would have to go back to the era of Souness and Dalglish to see the last one. Before that could you maybe make an argument for guys like Bremner, Law, Dave McKay and Jimmy Johnstone?

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Kenny Dalglish was world class. No doubt about it.

In my opinion Souness was also. He bossed the midfield against the top teams in Europe for years and he also done really well in Seria A when it was the world's top league.

Lambert and Collins were very, very good players, and it's a pity people are slagging their achievements, but neither were world class.