New York

DDcups

How much spending money would be enough for 4 days in new york? We're wanting to do a fair bit of shopping and my gf was thinking 4k :o but that seems a bit much. Apart from going up really high buildings and shop what else is there to do? I'm not into Pantos so I'm not fussed about going to Broadway. Anyone got suggestions?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4 grand would get you a helluva time chief. When we go over we usually budget a couple of hundred dollars per day, but we stay with my sister so breakfast and snacks are all included. I'd say anything over 1200 bucks will see you have a good time but if you're going to spend on shopping then the more the merrier.

Meals in a nice enough diner/ bar will cost about 40-60 comfortably. McDonalds will be under 20. If you want to dine in classy joints each day then you're talking a few hundred dollars per meal easily.

Nik nack tourist guff is pretty cheap on the streets and the wee tourist ships. Do not buy any touristy shite within a 4 block radius of a major landmark. Walk about and you'll find dozens of these wee shops and the further away from the main spots the cheaper they are, for exactly the same products.

For clothes deals the best place I think is still woodbury common. You can get a bus there as it's not in the city but it's a vg outlet place with an impressive selection of brands.

My main advice would be to not cram everything into your plans. Leave time between plans to walk about and explore the island. There's shed loads of cool stuff going on and if you're too focused on the tourist places you'll miss the real magic of the city.

Get yourself over to Staten Island on the free ferry. See the visionary view of the new Twin Towers from the eye of a very clever artistic sculptor.

Get on the Hudson River and go to Liberty and Ellis Island, go up the East River.

Get to Central Park and enjoy hours of relaxation.

Take the Lower and Upper Manhattan bus tours through Harlem, Soho, Greenwich Village and Chinatown.

Go on the Brooklyn night bus tour.

Go to the Bronx and see the New York Yankees Stadium.

Send the GF shopping whilst you see the sights.

$800 the lot. Bargain!!!

Get yourself over to Staten Island on the free ferry. See the visionary view of the new Twin Towers from the eye of a very clever artistic sculptor.

Get on the Hudson River and go to Liberty and Ellis Island, go up the East River.

Get to Central Park and enjoy hours of relaxation.

Take the Lower and Upper Manhattan bus tours through Harlem, Soho, Greenwich Village and Chinatown.

Go on the Brooklyn night bus tour.

Go to the Bronx and see the New York Yankees Stadium.

Send the GF shopping whilst you see the sights.

$800 the lot. Bargain!!!

i would get freedom. I'm just going to carry bags I think. Do they do tours of the rough areas of New York?

i would get freedom. I'm just going to carry bags I think. Do they do tours of the rough areas of New York?

If you're sticking to manhatten then there's v few rough areas. Probably none Infact.

I reckon your gf probably doesn't want to trail round the bronx or brooklyn if you've only got 4 days.

I've not been to the new Yankee stadium but they are big on their 'history', the so called 'pride of the Yankees '. It'll be good.

Dunno if you missed this, but you'd be as well trolling through this topic as I'm sure many of your questions will be answered.

http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php/topic/209703-the-big-new-york-thread/

Can't wait to go to New York. My missus and I had planned to go for our 30th (basically a month apart). But if I get this job it's safe to say I'll likely be there next year :thumsup2

Take the circle line boat trip round Manhattan Island, good value for money, lasts about 3 hours great views and excellent guides.

Going to one of the shows on Broadway is fantastic! There is loads of choice and buying your tickets from under the seating area at Times Square you get cheaper price tickets. There is so much to see and do, Ellis Island is worth a visit, if you are into museums obviously the Guggenheim is interesting. Somebody mentioned Central Park earlier in the thread, brilliant relaxing place, it is hard to believe that just outside the park is NYC..1 of my favourite places I have ever visited.

We walked around several different areas on several different times of the day and not once did we ever feel threatened, leave time for people watching in Times Sq, the bus tours are quite good as well, the guides on them have got great knowledge and give a great service. Shopping is good but it does your nut in, I felt it was wasting my time getting dragged about a shopping outlet when one of the most dynamic cities is on the go.

Stay away from and don't book into the Hotel Pennsylvania...you will regret it.

Central Park is massive. The first day I was in New York with my brother we thought we'd cut across from one side of the park to the other to get to one of the museums. Took over an hour. On the last day we were trying to walk from Strawberry Fields on one side down to the bottom and were rather surprised when we emerged on the other side of the park, leaving us about 20 minutes to walk as many blocks to a tour we'd booked. Still don't know how we managed it!

Smart phones were still in their infancy back then so would imagine someone has come up with a Central Park app.

Central Park is massive. The first day I was in New York with my brother we thought we'd cut across from one side of the park to the other to get to one of the museums. Took over an hour. On the last day we were trying to walk from Strawberry Fields on one side down to the bottom and were rather surprised when we emerged on the other side of the park, leaving us about 20 minutes to walk as many blocks to a tour we'd booked. Still don't know how we managed it!

Smart phones were still in their infancy back then so would imagine someone has come up with a Central Park app.

We walked for an hour into CP a couple of years ago. Looked a few weeks after we'd come back and how little progress we'd made - when you're in CP you really don't appreciate how big it is.

Keep the NYC chat going - can't wait for Christmas.

Not long back from 5 nights in New York and loved it.

Arrived at about 1 o clock on the first day and wandered about Times Square, Bryant park had a drink at our roof top bar and a decent dinner but had to sleep early because were both jet lagged

Next day got up early and headed to our pre paid tour of Liberty Island, had a wee tour of Battery park before boarding the ferry. Island and statue was cool and had some nice views then went to Ellis island which probably wasn't as interesting. Got back to Manhattan then took the train to Brooklyn for about 1, had a beer and lunch by the bridge and took in the views then crossed the infamous Brooklyn bridge which was just lovely. Headed back to the hotel to refresh then had a few drinks and bi passed dinner and went up the nearby Empire state half cut. That was cool seeing the city at night time from that high and it was quite educational.

The following day we headed to lower Manhattan for the 9/11tour. The place was still quite eerie after all these years but amazing for me as i love 9/11 stuff, quite a lot of the buildings that looked like they were directly under all the rubble are actually far away so it gives you a sheer scale of the disaster. The waterfalls in the footprints of the buildings is really cool to see and its a very nice tribute IMO. The guided tour through the museum was great and didn't concentrate on the politics of it all and was a respectful memorial for the dead, as well as some pretty awesome sights. A very good experience and great to see around. I didn't get to go up the one world trade tower as the mrs was worried it would be hit by a plane. We then headed towards the Grand Central area and had some cheap food in the station before a few beers at a nearby Irish bar and got a good head on before heading to a New York Mets game. The stadium was a wee bit out and just opposite flushing meadows. This was another good experience, the baseball was a bit boring but it was fun and a very American thing to do although the beer was about $11.50!!

Our third full day we bought tickets for Aladdin on broadway then waddled on up to Central Park. It is massive and very scenic and a good relaxing thing for us to do after such a hectic first two days. Then went to the nearby American Natural History museum, this was massive as everything there is and a bit like a maze but very cool especially the giant blue whale that was inside! Went out again for a cheap bite to eat and a few beers then to the broadway show. I didn't particularly enjoy it and was falling asleep at parts but the mrs loved it and it was a good thing to do.

On our final full day we visited China town and soho which was more of the same hustle and bustle we had come used to, bought a few souvenirs and clothes and had lunch then headed back nearer our hotel. Went up to the top of the Rocks at the Rockafeller after which is probably the best view you can get of New York as you can see Central park, the Empire State and all of lower Manhattan out to the Statue of Liberty. We then went out for our most fancy dinner of the trip to a place called Club A steakhouse. This was without doubt the best meal i have ever had! It was number 7 on trip advisor for the entire city so that gives you an idea how good it was. Wasn't really that expensive either, for both of us to have a giant steak and 3 massive sides and a bottle of wine was only 150 dollars which really isn't that much. We obviously left a generous tip.

Was pretty exhausted by the end of it so just headed to the airport quite early rather than sight seeing on the last day, by that time we had our moneys worth out of the trip.

I haven't really been left with the feeling that i am itching to go back to it though after having longed for a trip there for a lifetime, doesn't really feel that there is much more that i would want to do there that would make me prioritise it over a holiday elsewhere but what a time i had and would recommend it to anyone!

4k spending money is a crazy sum of money for just spending, i estimate the trip cost me and the gf £2500 all in - didn't make any big purchases there. Our hotel was in a great location, anywhere near Lexington i would recommend we were close to Grand Central station, the Chrysler building and Empire state. The hotel was £800 for 5 nights and it was pretty small but had our own toilet and shower.

Getting about on the subway was great, we paid $30 each for a 7 day pass for the subway and that got us everywhere including the airport and we didn't get a taxi once

Pints would probably cost about £6 so thats more expensive, everything else is much like home i would say and there are always cheap alternatives for food and drink places. Broadway tickets were $140 for the two of them for Aladdin, can't remember what the statue of liberty or WTC was as we booked in advance but nothing was particularly expensive but if you're constantly doing things then you obviously spend a bit!

Sorry to have rambled on a bit!

Would have to disagree with you on Ellis Island - infinitely more interesting to me than Liberty Island was!

Except Ellis Island doesn't have a very interesting motorcycle made of statue leftovers, unlike Liberty Island.

It's a beautifully crafted chopper in a glass cage, in case you missed it.

Opinions, I suppose............................

Except Ellis Island doesn't have a very interesting motorcycle made of statue leftovers, unlike Liberty Island.

It's a beautifully crafted chopper in a glass cage, in case you missed it.

Opinions, I suppose............................

I saw it, and it was impressive, I just found there was much more on Ellis Island.

I think there are quite a few different things in New York on which people will have differing opinions - one of the reasons why it is such a great place to visit.

I suppose Liberty Island wasn't particularly interesting but the museum stuff is cool and I'm interested in the mechanics behind it all!

Had little knowledge of Ellis island apart from the immigrants carry on but didn't stay that long there as we had to get going!

How much spending money would be enough for 4 days in new york? We're wanting to do a fair bit of shopping and my gf was thinking 4k :o but that seems a bit much. Apart from going up really high buildings and shop what else is there to do? I'm not into Pantos so I'm not fussed about going to Broadway. Anyone got suggestions?

4 grand!!! I think I would be looking for a new bird :lol: Seriously though...is that how much you need? My wife is taking my daughter over in a couple of years for her 18th....worried now :unsure:

I saw it, and it was impressive, I just found there was much more on Ellis Island.

I think there are quite a few different things in New York on which people will have differing opinions - one of the reasons why it is such a great place to visit.

Totally agree.

Some of my favourite were listed by others. Being on the rivers, on the Brooklyn Bridge, visiting Harlem and the Bronx etc was a fairytale for me, but maybe not for everyone. I only went to one bar while we we there, for example.

I'd love to go back, maybe stay a bit longer than 6 days like I did last time. Mind you, an Amtrak to DC for another six days after NYC was the icing on the cake of my 50th birthday!

4 grand!!! I think I would be looking for a new bird :lol: Seriously though...is that how much you need? My wife is taking my daughter over in a couple of years for her 18th....worried now :unsure:

4k spending money for 4 days is absolutely crazy unless you're planning on buying something like a MacBook. $1k each would be way more than enough unless you have some MASSIVE shopping planned.

I was there for 4 days a few years ago and think I spent about $600.

Empire State, bus tours, top of the rock, jersey boys, out every night for tea and drinks, shopping Etc.

Archived