New York

DDcups

So what's a sum to aim for if I'm planning 5 nights in NYC? (Well, two of us). Hoping to go next year now. We won't be going shopping, but will do the touristy stuff, top of the rock etc. and hopefully a NFL or basketball game. How much, all in, is it roughly likely to cost? :)

Can get a good deal through the British Airways website. Flight and decent hotel for about £700 each. Then however much spending money you fancy, if you're not going to be shopping etc $750 each would probably be more than enough. £1,200 each all in for the five nights. Enjoy.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So what's a sum to aim for if I'm planning 5 nights in NYC? (Well, two of us). Hoping to go next year now. We won't be going shopping, but will do the touristy stuff, top of the rock etc. and hopefully a NFL or basketball game. How much, all in, is it roughly likely to cost? :)

I posted my exact itinerary in the first page, think it was £2500 all in for two of us.

Bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' question. Also NYC is broadly comparable to Edinburgh for prices but it also depends on exchange rates.

So were I to be a tourist in NYC I'd estimate spending:

Hotel £150

Diner b'fast: £8

Deli lunch: £10

Decent dinner: £30

Metrocard £5

The rest (taxis, bevvy, exhibition entry, cinema/theatre/dance tickets) are impossible to gauge.

I agree that its about the same as Edinburgh although there are cheap food courts that are easy to find there and of decent quality. En route to the baseball we had dinner in Grand Central Station food court for about $7 each.

Never took a taxi when was there, really didn't fancy it either as the roads are so congested all the time but its an expensive way to travel, heard it was about $80 from JFK - Manhattan. The metro card was $30 and the best money we spent as got us everywhere

Bevvy - never got much change from $20 for a drink each, sometimes a bit more but we did find a couple bars we got drink each for $16. Was paying $12 per beer at the baseball but was drinking in a Planet Hollywood bar at Times Square for $4 per beer and $5 for red wine. Was probably a bit more expensive if you wanted to just buy a couple beers or a bottle wine to drink in hotel room.

Broadway shows were about $70 - $80 each for cheapest tickets for everything other than Lion King which was $120!! Expensive for food and drink inside as well.

Exhibition tickets were pretty reasonable - i think the Liberty tour was only about $18 to get to the Island and get to the pedestal and also to Ellis island. This keeps you busy for a good few hours and you obviously get a great view.

9/11 memorial with added guided tour was $40 dollars, was very good as well and not all that somber.

Decent tickets at baseball was $35 each but you could buy for as cheap as $15.

Access to the Rockefeller, Empire State and 1 World Trade were all $32. Rockefeller is the best view as has been said as you can see Central Park and all of Manhattan.

Woodshed I'm not sure about prices from Aberdeen but we flew via Heathrow from Edinburgh and paid £900 for the both of us. Hotel was around £800 for the night but right near Empire State and Grand Central. We had looked at staying outwith Manhattan but it would take a long time out of each day to travel so you are best spending a bit more and being central.

An hour to cross the park?

It wouldn't take tou that long to walk its length

Mrs Thirdrock and I took five hours to walk the length of the park. Mind you, I stopped everywhere to take pictures, we had an hour and a half sunbathing in 90 degree heat, and we weren't in any great rush to leave one of the most impressive parks we've ever been in, so we had a picnic as well.

I suppose if we were in a hurry we could have walked the length of the park in an hour or so but would have missed all the good stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Ask a genuine question, and the idiots appear. Please f**k off.

Why do you need a travel agent?

As has been mentioned, BA.com is excellent for building packages, as are expedia and opodo.

If you do want a travel agent, trailfinders would be the most obvious.

Archived