One year ago today

Fide

They simply didn't have the answers, all the huff and bluster couldn't hide that, it wasn't a lack of confidence in ourselves as a country it was a lack of Trust in those without real direction that we were asked to blindly follow. Being naturally cautious didn't mean so many 'Scots shat it', neither did it make us any lesser patriots, an accusation and insult that probably strengthened the resolve of many Supporters of the Union.

You just think its all a bit to cafflicky

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's 'who' in this case. Excellent rule of thumb: if it's her or him, use the M. Examples:

"To whom does this innate sense of shitebaggery belong?"
"It belongs to him, the stinking Unionist."

"He is a sexy beast, isn't he?"
"Who is a sexy beast? Oh, yes. He is. Yes, that cybernat is a fucking ride."

It seems to me that this whole currency arguement wasn't such a massive issue until Alistair Darling and Bitter Together jumped all over it.

There is no doubt Scotland wouldn't have been left with no currency. In all likelihood we would have used the £. And I think Britnats, deep down, realise that.

It's just Excuse A to jump to when you tell them, correctly, that they can't be both a "proud Scot" and have zero faith in Scotland's ability to go it alone.

Legitimate concerns, ma baws. It's all excuses.

It seems to me that this whole currency arguement wasn't such a massive issue until Alistair Darling and Bitter Together jumped all over it.

There is no doubt Scotland wouldn't have been left with no currency. In all likelihood we would have used the £. And I think Britnats, deep down, realise that.

It's just Excuse A to jump to when you tell them, correctly, that they can't be both a "proud Scot" and have zero faith in Scotland's ability to go it alone.

we can use whatever currency we like. Having our interest rate set in a different country is the issue.

What were the 15% doing that day? What's the breakdown for non-voters?

Junkies - 3%

Alcoholics - 5%

Shift workers 2%

Lazy b*****ds 5%

Looking at the map of places that voted yes, I think the yes campaign may well have been bussing the junkies to the polling stations.

Looking at the map of places that voted yes, I think the yes campaign may well have been bussing the junkies to the polling stations.

They should have trawled the hospitals too.

In-patients may not have bothered voting either.

Holidays and general sickness would play a part too. 15% though. Wonder what the excuses were. I suppose there'll also be some people who really just don't give a shit what the situation is; these people can't all be drug and alcohol dependant.

we can use whatever currency we like. Having our interest rate set in a different country is the issue.

For the past 2 years, Panama has been at the top of the well-being index, as the "happiest" country in the world.

Panama's currency is tied to the US Dollar.

Unlucks.

Concerns that you didn't have or agree with, doesn't mean that someone is a shitebag or less of a Scot because of it. As has been pointed out, how about the 15% of those granted a say who didn't give a f*ck either way. Probably did more damage to the Yes vote, save it for them eh?

Maybe that's because we don't share a currency with the rest of the EU.

We were given one answer, which was dubious, and not told what the alternative was. They had ample opportunity to come up with a plan B but never did.

Actually, they did. Several options were looked at and detailed in the white paper. All, including the currency union, came with several upsides and risks. The fact is that a currency union, while a decent option in the short term would probably have given way to a new currency as the two economies evolved separately.

Try telling folk THAT though. Risk was inherent in any one of the currency options explored by the commission. All were therefore politically a weak point for Yes. All No had to do was hammer at the weaknesses of plan A, get Salmond to expound on plan B and then hammer away at the weaknesses of that until they run out of alphabet.

Had the SNP chosen a floating Scottish currency as plan A, we'd still be here, having the same argument because No's strategy would have been exactly the same.

How you square that circle prior to 'next time' is the interesting problem. Certainly the more devolution of big ticket items, the better, as you try to chip away at Westminster-centric institutions. Some form of long running engagement with the public on the issue would help as well. Even something insanely radical like a crypto-currency for certain things might get folk used to the idea that there is life beyond Sterling.

For what it's worth, westminster behaviour in indyref1 and the Greece experience probably weighs indyref2 towards a separate scottish currency straight off the bat. I do wonder though, if like the EU issue it's more of a post facto rationalisation for No than a reason for voting No in the first place. I can't help but feel that for many, the issues and risks would seem less insurmountable if they started with a more open mind towards the debate, rather than seeking a reason to vote no.

Archived