Andy Murray The Greatest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

4 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Nothing too deep. But he entered the singles this year and, despite being extremely unlikely to play, didn't withdraw until the last minute.

Honestly, that’s the sign of someone who would try to play whatever the circumstances due to his love of the game.

Raducanu, on the other hand, shows  how completely clueless she is in terms of the importance of this mixed doubles event to both Andy and to the majority of the tennis watching public.

Yes you can understand why players do withdraw from time to time, but this one is a little more significant. If it had been Serena Williams for example, there’s no way she would have withdrawn in the same circumstances……

7 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Raducanu, on the other hand, shows  how completely clueless she is in terms of the importance of this mixed doubles event to both Andy and to the majority of the tennis watching public.

It's an event Murray has rarely played and gets some of the lowest crowds and TV audiences, nobody considers this that important apart from those considering it important in the farewell. 

Nobody would be saying anything if she just pulled out on Dan evens for example and if you remove the British angle and purely focused on his status would anyone be saying anything if wawrinka suddenly announces this US open would be his last and he'd like to to play doubles with his partner pulling out in similar circumstances I still doubt anyone would be reacting as strongly 

3 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

It's an event Murray has rarely played and gets some of the lowest crowds and TV audiences, nobody considers this that important apart from those considering it important in the farewell. 

Nobody would be saying anything if she just pulled out on Dan evens for example and if you remove the British angle and purely focused on his status would anyone be saying anything if wawrinka suddenly announces this US open would be his last and he'd like to to play doubles with his partner pulling out in similar circumstances I still doubt anyone would be reacting as strongly 

Isn’t that the point I’m making? It wasn’t just a normal situation, otherwise I could just about understand her genuine reason for deciding not to complete. 
I don’t buy the comment earlier that she expected to be out. A true competitor doesn’t think like that at all. 
She should have considered her situation and turned down the opportunity leaving it to someone else …..

4 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Isn’t that the point I’m making? It wasn’t just a normal situation, otherwise I could just about understand her genuine reason for deciding not to complete. 
I don’t buy the comment earlier that she expected to be out. A true competitor doesn’t think like that at all. 
She should have considered her situation and turned down the opportunity leaving it to someone else …..

1. It's only not normal cos folk want a grand farewell, but in terms of competitive tennis it's entirely normal, and given Wimbledon is a competitive tennis tournament we'd expect every single person to be making decisions based purely off of that basis.

2. The true competitors, which the likes of the williams sisters undoubtedly are have pulled out of doubles to focus on singles. The enter the doubles as either a back up if they get knocked out of singles or that they get lucky and are physically perfect every day of tournament and get to schedule in doubles matches instead of practice? But if they aren't right one day and pull out of practice nothing is even publicly notified.

I think mainly if the fairwell tour is so important then he should be scheduled in expedition matches post final and he can bring out a series of opponents/coaches/influences etc to play with/against.  But he's playing in the competitive draw and that means dealing with everything that comes with that, including nobody giving a f**k if this is your last time or not.

48 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Honestly, that’s the sign of someone who would try to play whatever the circumstances due to his love of the game.

Yes you can understand why players do withdraw from time to time, but this one is a little more significant. If it had been Serena Williams for example, there’s no way she would have withdrawn in the same circumstances……

None of that is really her main concern, though, is it?

In any case, a mixed doubles match really wouldn't have been the Wimbledon farewell Murray had in mind. It'll make little difference to him in the long run.

I do wonder if he'll enter the US Open now though, to get that farewell singles match that actually will mean something to him.

12 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

I’ve got my doubts there’s any injury whatsoever tbh….

Seems more like recovery time being an issue. I think this is poor from Raducanu but Wimbledon could have sorted this as well by putting them on an outside court earlier in the day. She's hinting she'd have played then. 

12 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

If it had been Serena Williams for example, there’s no way she would have withdrawn in the same circumstances……

That's completely wrong as Serena has pulled doubles with her sister on occasion to ensure she has recovered effectively for singles competition.  I think Murray is the only person I can think of that pulled singles to play doubles when he elected to skip the Olympic singles to concentrate on doubles.

Wrist injuries have killed so many promising careers, so she has to look after herself.  Del Potro and Thiem never recovered, and rushed into comebacks.

Murray will have his swan song at the Olympics, he is in the singles and doubles there.

1 hour ago, FalkirkBairn2021 said:

Seems more like recovery time being an issue. I think this is poor from Raducanu but Wimbledon could have sorted this as well by putting them on an outside court earlier in the day. She's hinting she'd have played then. 

It pished rain all day anyway so even if they had they still wouldn't have been playing until 5pm ish anyway.

The only blame I’d place on Raducanu is for agreeing to play the doubles with Andy in the first place. If anything, I blame Andy. The way his ‘farewell’ has been handled has been painful to watch. The guy owed us nothing, to even come back from his surgeries to play at anything even aporoaching a high level was an achievement. IMHO, the whole thing with Jamie was organised as the farewell. Why else was Sue Barker, the tribute video, the stars like Djokovic trotted out if he was still due to play again at Wimbledon in the mixed? I reckon Raducanu would have played, had she been knocked out of the singles. However, still in the singles, and seeing Andy hirple his way through the doubles, looking half the player he used to be, don’t blame her. Andy had his centre court send off, it went well, tear to the eye stuff…

Fcuking chuck it Andy, don’t drag it out any longer. Legend.

22 minutes ago, Loki said:

It pished rain all day anyway so even if they had they still wouldn't have been playing until 5pm ish anyway.

I rescind that, as doubles match first on was completed by 3pm with the rain delays.  Still might not have helped but wasn't as bad as i made out.

15 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

In any case, a mixed doubles match really wouldn't have been the Wimbledon farewell Murray had in mind. It'll make little difference to him in the long run.

I do wonder if he'll enter the US Open now though, to get that farewell singles match that actually will mean something to him.

He’s never ruled out the US Open has he? He said he won’t play on “much past” the Olympics which doesn’t necessarily mean he’s chucking it immediately after the Olympics. The US open is just a few weeks later.

The difference with the US Open swing, his ranking is so low now that he’d need a wild card for every single event he wants to enter. 

The US Open has reciprocal agreements with the French Open and Australian Open that they will get a wild card each.  That leaves six, I am sure they would give him one if he requests it.  But if he’s not going to play any tennis on hard court before it, he’s a walking bye.

41 minutes ago, Loki said:

The difference with the US Open swing, his ranking is so low now that he’d need a wild card for every single event he wants to enter. 

The US Open has reciprocal agreements with the French Open and Australian Open that they will get a wild card each.  That leaves six, I am sure they would give him one if he requests it.  But if he’s not going to play any tennis on hard court before it, he’s a walking bye.

I’m sure if he was going to play the US open he’d consider playing a few challengers or tour events on hard court beforehand. I’m not sure that’s a great idea though because if he does play, it’s purely as one last goodbye rather than with any expectation of doing well, and with that in mind surely the risk of getting injured playing a challenger is higher than any benefit.

Sun with "astonish" across the front of her top, top trolling if that's related to Judy Murray's comments about Raducanu/Murray 😂

Just now, MONKMAN said:

Seems to be getting her back worked on now.  

she was stretching it a lot in the second set