Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

If you're trying to make a point of Serbia having three of the best Tennis players in the world at the moment then you've missed something out. All three of Serbia's big stars, Ivanovic, Jankovic & Djokovic (Like Murray) had to go abroad to have any chance of making it as a professional tennis player.

Yes they all went abroad, but all of them (as far as I'm aware) spent their formative years in their homeland before, when it became clear they had immense talent, they transferred to world class academys. We have our own version at Roehampton, although Murray is not a big fan due to issues with Jamie going there. We have kids in the 14-18 age group in these sorts of academys and it is the attitude of these sorts that Murray has questioned. There is a separate issue with getting kids involved in the grass roots of the game, but for me it's not one centred on facilities. I agree completely that the middle class mindset of tennis is an issue, but on both sides of any perceived class divide. More public facilities would certainly be a benefit, but number for me is far more important than quality. If kids can be encouraged to pick up a racket and show potential with it, it's no more expensive to have a kid playing tennis than it is football. Clubs will happily help out anyone showing potential with membership fees if need be, I think too many people still see it as a sport not for them because it's considered middle class. Though there can be no doubt that some of the older generation of tennis players don't enjoy it, there is a definite shift for the better in the youngsters getting involved in the game at grassroots level. It's the attitudes of those who have the talent to make it to the top that really need improving though.

I've always wondered if Murray actually said such a thing, and a quick bit of Googling has come up with this:

The irony is that the very thing the media belittle Murray for, not having a sense of humour, is exactly where this 'misunderstanding' has come from. I don't think it's Murray who didn't have the sense of humour in this instance...

Whilst that may be true, he was a little naive to say the least. Still, best way to win them round is be the first British man since 1936 to win a Grand Slam...

Whilst that may be true, he was a little naive to say the least. Still, best way to win them round is be the first British man since 1936 to win a Grand Slam...

GASP! Teenager in naiive shocker! :o

Am I the only one who's already started watching the build up? 2 years ago, I didnt give a damn about tennis, Ive astonished myself at the speed I jumped on the bandwagon. :ph34r:

I think he'l do it tonight. I abstained from putting any money on him, as the odds were not great, 15/8 i think he was at one point. If he does it i hope he cheers up a bit as he is one of the most dour people i have ever listened to.

Rather sadly, Ive got it on tv, and live text from the bbc and the guardian..loved this quote:

Is it because he's taciturn? Doesn't shave? Looks a bit stroppy and shouts a lot? Or is it because he didn't really want the English football team to win the World Cup? It's because he didn't really want the English football team to win the World Cup, isn't it. WHAT ON EARTH DOES ANYONE EXPECT?!?

:lol::lol: