Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

It's around this time I usually comment that Gulbis is a potential banana skin for Murray before being made to look stupid as Murray blows him out the water.

It's kinda similar to his Wimbledon draw with him playing Gulbis, and Ferrero, Simon and Wawrinka all potential future opponents.

A tough draw, and I can see Del Potro maybe ending his challenge this year. The one top 8 player I really wanted him to avoid in the quarters. Of course, if the seedings were structured properly, he should be up against the seventh seed in the last eight, not the sixth. :rolleyes:

Mind you, seventh seed is Tsonga, so it probably wouldnae make a great deal of difference. He struggles against him too.

Edited by StewartyMac

Certainly not a great draw. Gulbis is a more awkward first round opponent that you'd like. Second round should be fine but Karlovic is a potential threat in the third. I don't mind at all him being in Nadal's half. If I could take someone out of Andy's half of the draw it would be Del Potro, not Nadal.

Of course, if the seedings were structured properly, he should be up against the seventh seed in the last eight, not the sixth. :rolleyes:

Then you'd get virtually the same draw every week and someone say ranked No 8, but well clear of No 9 would have little chance of improving in the short term as they'd always be meeting the No 1 in the last eight.

I like the way the ATP does it to be honest.

Karlovic is a potential threat in the third.

I wouldn't have many fears of Murray playing Karlovic. He's a big server, sure, but Murray is arguably the best returner in the world. Karlovic's lack of mobility would also be perfect for Andy. It's a good match up for him, I reckon.

Didn't realise until the other night that Gulbis's old man is a billionaire.

Apparently Gulbis junior has his own jet and stays in 7 star hotels worldwide. Must be difficult to motivate himself.

Didn't realise until the other night that Gulbis's old man is a billionaire.

Apparently Gulbis junior has his own jet and stays in 7 star hotels worldwide. Must be difficult to motivate himself.

isnt it amazing that with all the resources in the world, you can attain the 95th best player in the world ranking.

djokovic's parents are well too if i'm not mistaken.

djokovic's parents are well too if i'm not mistaken.

I think in a lot of the Eastern European countries they really have to be to fund their kid's development, usually in the US.

Sharapova is a bit of a different case, as I think her dad pretty much chucked everything at home, moved them to the US and worked 20 hours a day to pay for her coaching.

Murray is cruising. 7-5 first set, 6-3 second set, 2-3 down in the third.

Dunno if 'cruising' was quite the correct word. Gulbis pushed him hard in all three sets. That's a good 1st round match to get through. Most of the other top guys hardly broke sweat, so Murray is more match tested already. And the draw's completely opened up for him until the 4th round, where Marin Cilic could be his opponent, a very dangerous player.