Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

News that will have HB spluttering into his Earl Grey!

Murray withdraws from Davis Cup tie

More to follow, but it sounds from the way he's talking about it like he just doesn't want to play tennis for the decaying old Union any more.

Looks like you're pure dead scottishometer is fucked then. He was representing GB in the Hopman Cup earlier today. <_<

Guest The Phoenix
Looks like you're pure dead scottishometer is fucked then. He was representing GB in the Hopman Cup earlier today. <_<

Indeed he was teamed up with 15 year old Laura Robson.

TBF she's probably better than the second best GB male player.

Indeed he was teamed up with 15 year old Laura Robson.

TBF she's probably better than the second best GB male player.

She did OK! And there was some quite funny banter in the post match interview. Both of them taking the piss out each other. It was actually a decent enough match.

She did OK! And there was some quite funny banter in the post match interview. Both of them taking the piss out each other. It was actually a decent enough match.

Andy was starvin' in that interview, he kens the score.

Guest The Phoenix

Andy and Laura beat Germany 2-1.

Laura lost her singles match to the world number 22 but Andy wiped the floor with his opponent.

They won the doubles comfortably.

A win against Russia on Friday will see them into the Final.

Murray and Robbo through to final with another 2-1 win. Murray tanked Igor Andreev 6/0,6/1 while Robbo lost to Dementieva 4 and zip. Once again GB won the doubles. We play Spain in the final. Good to see Murray in decent form with three wins with a combined game score of 36-10 !!

Guest The Phoenix

Murray and Robbo through to final with another 2-1 win. Murray tanked Igor Andreev 6/0,6/1 while Robbo lost to Dementieva 4 and zip. Once again GB won the doubles. We play Spain in the final. Good to see Murray in decent form with three wins with a combined game score of 36-10 !!

TBF he's played against mince so far. Signor Robredo will be a different kettle of fish altogether - they are tied at 2 apiece in previous encounters.

The best thing that comes from this is the experience and confidence it will be giving Laura Robson. Ok, she's lost all her singles matches (to much higher ranked opponents) so far but by all accounts she's performed well and has been outstanding in the doubles.

Perhaps Murray's best chance of a Grand Slam title might yet lie with getting into bed with Laura?

Guest The Phoenix

Signor Robredo will be a different kettle of fish altogether - they are tied at 2 apiece in previous encounters.

Aye, nice one Andy.

Laura beats the world number 26 and you lose to Robredo after winning the first set 6-1.

Britain then lost the mixed doubles for the first time in the tournament.

Murray down to 5th in the rankings with Potty taking over 4th. Can't say I'm surprised.

Yeah it's been known for a while that he'd drop to 5th this week. As soon as he didn't enter the Doha tournament this year he wasn't going to defend his points from it. The choice to play in the Hopman Cup instead was always going to move him to 5th.

He may well go back to 4th before the Aussie Open as Del Potro drops 200 points next Monday but I'm not sure if he's playing anywhere to make them back up again.

I'm also not sure when the draw for the Aussie Open is. If it's this week then he'll be outside the top four at the time of it and could therefore meet one of the other big three in the quarter finals.

I'm also not sure when the draw for the Aussie Open is. If it's this week then he'll be outside the top four at the time of it and could therefore meet one of the other big three in the quarter finals.

This Friday, the 15th.

It's not, it's Nadal he'll face in the quarters, with Del Potro in the semis if he gets that far.

On the surface, a tough draw, but his route to that point is quite straightforward. All the big hitting dark horses like Verdasco, Gonzalez, Roddick, Cilic, Soderling, Simon, and Davydenko are in the other quarters of the draw, so he won't meet any of those until at least the semi finals.

The other seeds in Murray's quarter, outwith Nadal, are Monfils, Stepanek, Ferrer, Melzer, Ljubicic, and Kohlschreiber.

In fact, had he been in the Del Potro quarter instead of Roddick, he'd have the likes of Gonzalez, Cilic, and Wawrinka in there.

Not bad overall then. Nadal isn't quite the player he was, but I'd still expect him to reach the last eight, although big John Isner could cause him grief in an earlier round.

I'm gonnae push the boat out and predict a Murray-Federer final, with the Scot breaking his Majors duck in a 4-set victory. :D

It's not, it's Nadal he'll face in the quarters, with Del Potro in the semis if he gets that far.

On the surface, a tough draw, but his route to that point is quite straightforward. All the big hitting dark horses like Verdasco, Gonzalez, Roddick, Cilic, Soderling, Simon, and Davydenko are in the other quarters of the draw, so he won't meet any of those until at least the semi finals.

The other seeds in Murray's quarter, outwith Nadal, are Monfils, Stepanek, Ferrer, Melzer, Ljubicic, and Kohlschreiber.

In fact, had he been in the Del Potro quarter instead of Roddick, he'd have the likes of Gonzalez, Cilic, and Wawrinka in there.

Not bad overall then. Nadal isn't quite the player he was, but I'd still expect him to reach the last eight, although big John Isner could cause him grief in an earlier round.

I'm gonnae push the boat out and predict a Murray-Federer final, with the Scot breaking his Majors duck in a 4-set victory. :D

Yeah, I actually think looking at it in more depth that it's a pretty good draw. I saw the headlines of "Murray handed tough draw" yesterday but didn't have a chance to look at it any deeper. Ok, so he's in Nadal's quarter but if he's going to win he's going to have to beat Nadal along the way most likely. I think we're past the point where Murray needs to look for good draws to make the last four. He should be aiming higher. For me it doesn't really matter that much whose quarter he's in (though I'd have preferred Del Potro) it's more important to avoid as many dangerous second level opponents as he can and I think his draw does that. he ought to have a reasonably comfortable passage to Nadal and that's importnat in an energy conservation respect.