Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Without Murray, is Team GB going to go right through the bottom of the 2nd division as well?

Can we actually fall any lower ? Who the heck is below Euro-Africa Zone II ?

As it happens the draw has just been made and our next match is away to Lithuania. The top ranked bloke on their side is around 450. The BBC states that we have 6 players (not including Murray) ranked above their top man. That said away from home it wouldn't surprise me if their No 1 won both games and they also won the doubles as seems to always be the case. If Murray plays we probably win 3-2 as our No 2 might just beat their No 2. However, I can't see Andy making the trek to Lithuania.

Chris Eaton should be our second singles player imo. He's the only one who's shown that he can play under the pressure of the Davis cup and rise to big occasions. I don't know why he's so low in the rankings, there must be a problem there, but at least he has a weapon in his serve, and the mental attitude to play and actually win a match. None of the other higher ranked players have shown any of those traits.

At least until Jamie Baker gets back into things, he has a bit of grit and fight about him. Dan Evans is another Bogdanovic, except apparently with less natural talent.

Chris Eaton should be our second singles player imo. He's the only one who's shown that he can play under the pressure of the Davis cup and rise to big occasions. I don't know why he's so low in the rankings, there must be a problem there

After much extensive research I can reveal the answer...he's complete pish. Can barely win a match even at futures level and outwith the serve his game is utterly woeful. We need to stop going on about Chris Eaton and realise that the likes of Dan Evans and Josh Godawful are actually much better players, hard as that may be to believe.

Edited by RedWeb

After much extensive research I can reveal the answer...he's complete pish. Can barely win a match even at futures level and outwith the serve his game is utterly woeful. We need to stop going on about Chris Eaton and realise that the likes of Dan Evans and Josh Godawful are actually much better players, hard as that may be to believe.

They be technically better players, but Eaton does seem to be the only one who can actually play in front of a crowd. I've seen both Eaton and Goodall play live, and Eaton was by far the more impressive match player. Not as solid from the back of the court, but he can actually hold his serve consistantly. If you can do that, you'll at least be challenging in each set. Goodall and Evans, just seem to shrink when you put them out onto the court where people are actually expecting them do something. Eaton at least seems to rise to the challenge. A fairly poor player maybe, but at least he's not scared shitless when he steps onto the court.

They be technically better players, but Eaton does seem to be the only one who can actually play in front of a crowd. I've seen both Eaton and Goodall play live, and Eaton was by far the more impressive match player.

Chris Eaton is absolutely dreadful. He's also achieved f**k all in the Davis Cup.

I'd play Laura Robson before him.

• 5 weeks later...
The tabloids will really push this for Wimbledon. Especially if they do well together.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/2009/10/27/an...86908-21777212/

There's not the slightest chance of Murray mucking about with the Mixed Doubles at Wimbledon and to be honest I'd be surprised if it even crossed the tabloid minds.

• 2 weeks later...

He managed to beat Verdasco yesterday without really looking in the best nick. He sort of turned in a Murray special sort of match. Just got the ball back too often for his opponent to deal with and eventually it broke Verdasco.

Murray looked like he was in a bit of pain ff his right side towards the end of the game.

It was nice to see him shut up the Spanish crowd though. 8)

Won Valencia with ease. Youzhny was honking and Murray tied him in knots.

Next up is Paris Masters. Should be another win as after all he only needs to get past James Blake, Radek "Sex Machine" Stepanek, Juan Martin Del Potro, Rafa Nadal and Roger Federer :lol:

Yep, pretty comfortable in the end. Just proved Murray is 2-3 levels above Youznhy. Paris will prove a much sterner test, but one he can overcome.

He was still bothered by his hip injury by the look of it. Must be one of those ones that sometimes jabs you with pain if you jar it. He had a tough match with Blake tonight. Won it eventually though. Blake was playing quite nicely at times.

Watched Federer get put out by Benneteau. I have to say, Federer was very below-par but credit to the Frenchman, some if his forehands and returns were like rockets and Federer couldn't cope with the power.

Watched Federer get put out by Benneteau. I have to say, Federer was very below-par but credit to the Frenchman, some if his forehands and returns were like rockets and Federer couldn't cope with the power.

It was a good match. The French boy played out of his skin at times. Hit a great length and had Federer running about.

Nadal had a complete stinker of a match as well although he scraped through in the end.