Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Got my days mixed up, it's today he plays Granollers.

Just started, nice to see Italy's getting cloudy, dreery weather too.

Anyway couple of interesting points made about Murray, one being his inability to beat anyone in the top 10 on clay, only managed it once, against a 9th ranked Davydenko, about 4 years ago. The second washow he's not converting break points especially well. He's creating numerous chances, but failing to take them, I think the number talked about before his defeat to Berdych was 4/23. That's pretty damn poor. Although I'm sure he'll pick up his game, the more he plays on clay.

That's if he gets past Granollers, who isn't a bad player by any means, especially on clay.

There's something not right with Murray, that's for sure. Normally he'd probably hit his way though it, but he's up against a man who's in simply inspired form. He's simply not missing and whilst it's usually Murray who plays rediculous shots, he's having to watch Granollers do the same to him.

Somehow wins the second set from 4-1 down and then retires. How bizarre, never seen that before. Obviously seriously buggered with his hip. Surely thinking of Paris, possibly even worse than it looks.

I missed the first set but watching the 2nd I thought Andy would lose this as he looked in pain but he got back in the set and won it.

I then went for a drink and when I came back I was wondering what was going on.

The hip injury must have been causing him a lot of problems as it has been a long time since Andy last retired from a match.

Just looked for the match and it was in 2007 on this day in Hamburg against Filippo Volandri.

So Andy pulled out twice on the 15th may what is his birthday date so he turned 26th today.

He was in a lot of pain and his movement was hindered incredibly. A double break down in the second and just started pinging winners off the line, and then with the pressure mounting on Gronellers he got it square at 4-4, then was broken immediately. He wasn't going for his full first serve at all. But was still able to ping shots that were either clean winners or forcing Marcus into an unforced error.

He did the correct thing by retiring, and you have to give him credit for trying to complete the match when a double break down. He has the least amount of retirals out of everyone in the top 10 apart from Federer. Federer has in fact never retired from a match.

Nadal winning this will get him back above Ferrer in time for the French Open. After being drawn in Ferrer's quarter in this one. Ferrer has semi final points from last season to defend.

I got told the injury was going to keep him out of the French, is that the case?

Only because it's the French. If it was Wimbledon, he'd play.

His maw was on the radio this morning saying that he's going for a scan today, but that his priority is being fit for Wilmbledon, which he can win of course, and if he misses the French Open it's no biggie.

I suspect he could make the French if he wanted to, but slogging it out for 3 or 4 matches on clay in a tournament he can't win isn't that smart.

Yeah I agree, I think Murray would gladly miss the whole clay court season if he could. I hope he waits until the draw has been made though, that would be funny.

Missing the clay court season every year would be fine. The only problem with it is that it pretty much rules him out of ever being world number 1.

There would still be scope to make Number 1 but you would have to be almost faultless in the rest of the year. I don't think Andy would ever have the consistency to do that. He can still throw a stinker now and again. He might be helped in a couple of years with talk of extending the grass court season. The grass court season really should have a Masters event. Three Masters events in six weeks on clay seems daft.

Yep, 3 clay Masters then a clay GS in the space of 6 weeks is bound to take it's toll on any body. There should definitely be a grass Masters before Wimbledon. I don't think Queens has the infrastructure for it, could be wrong. Possibly Halle or Eastbourne has more stadium courts etc?

Yep, 3 clay Masters then a clay GS in the space of 6 weeks is bound to take it's toll on any body. There should definitely be a grass Masters before Wimbledon. I don't think Queens has the infrastructure for it, could be wrong. Possibly Halle or Eastbourne has more stadium courts etc?

They justify it by making Monte Carlo non compulsory. Madrid could easily revert back to hard courts in the future. They seem to like to experiment with different things. the blue clay and the fuss it caused was hilarious. I think Queens could cope, Halle certainly could cope. I don't think Eastbourne is as big as Queens. But couldn't say for sure, I know they play Davis cup matches there so it must be of a reasonable size.

McKee will have wished it was him getting bummed by him.

He was serving like a demon. Only lost one point on serve in his first four service games in the second set, and then the real Ernie turned up. Forehand errors a go go. The amount of winners he has hit so far has been superb though.

He's taken sets from Nadal before on clay. I think they were juniors together, so he's not intimidated by Nadal.

Gulbis is like Rickie Fowler in golf a bit. That forehand is never going to stand up to any kind of pressure. The preparation for the stroke just looks so laboured and overly flouncy. Relies way too much on timing.

When the forehand is firing he looks like a player. When it is misfiring he looks like a donkey. 59 winners and 50 unforced errors today. That error count is horrendous.