Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Roger Federer has pulled out of the Canadian Masters but that isn't really a surprise as he has 0 points to defend as he withdrew last year also. Murray has 180 points to defend in the next two Masters events, so he can really close the gap on Djokovic as he won the Canadian Masters last year and made the final at Cincinatti. If Murray is to overtake Djokovic and become Number 1 he has to beat Djokovic when they play each other. Both will be seeded one and two for the next two Masters and the US Open.

Federer has no chance of overtaking Ferrer in time for the US Open so again three of the "big" four could be in the same half. If Federer doesn't recover from his back injury and continues to experiment with the larger racquet he could further down the rankings.

The draw has been made and Murray finds himself seeded to face Del Potro in the QF and David Ferrer in the SF. He is more than likely to face Gregor Dimitrov in 2nd round which is about as difficult as you can get in Round 2. His most probably route is:

Dimitrov, Gulbis, Del Potro, Ferrer, Djokovic. Quite a tricky draw.

Nadal's draw is interesting as well as his most probably route to winning the trophy would be Malisse, Janowicz, Haas, Djokovic, Murray. Although I would think that Wawrinka would be a great bet for beating Haas on the hard courts.

Djokovic could potentially meet a vastly improved Bernie Tomic. A turn around in form in the Grass court season has given him his confidence back. You always get the feeling that he could chuck a match at any time though, but will be an entertaining match if he is to get past the First Round. He has already beaten Djokovic this year.

The draw has been made and Murray finds himself seeded to face Del Potro in the QF and David Ferrer in the SF. He is more than likely to face Gregor Dimitrov in 2nd round which is about as difficult as you can get in Round 2. His most probably route is:

Nadal's draw is interesting as well as his most probably route to winning the trophy would be Malisse, Janowicz, Haas, Djokovic, Murray. Although I would think that Wawrinka would be a great bet for beating Haas on the hard courts.

Djokovic could potentially meet a vastly improved Bernie Tomic. A turn around in form in the Grass court season has given him his confidence back. You always get the feeling that he could chuck a match at any time though, but will be an entertaining match if he is to get past the First Round. He has already beaten Djokovic this year.

How would you rate Tomic against player like Janowicz and Dimitrov? I'm still not entirely convinced, Djokovic could easily see him off dropping only 5/6 games in the match. I think Tomic is a bit of a c**t though, so I slag him off quite often.

Murray's draw couldn't have been much tougher, absolutely no mugs in there. I'd still make him favourite for this competition. I'd also agree with what TheScarf says. The lead up to the US (and the tournament itself) is easily my favourite part of the tennis year.

I think Tomic has the potential to be better than both Janowicz and Dimitrov. However his attitude really stinks. Even as a 16 year old he thought it was beneath him to practise with Lleyton Hewitt as he hadn't won a tournament in yonks. His attitude really holds him back, by the end of their careers Dimitriv and Janowicz will have achieved more, Tomic's potential is really starting to slip away.

However all these young contenders are now at least 21 (Janowicz 22) and both Murray and Djokovic had won a Masters Event and made a Grand Slam final at the same age. Tomic is the youngest winner on tour this year and it is very difficult to see any of that three doing well at slams unless the draws open up like Janowicz at Wimbledon.

I think Tomic has the potential to be better than both Janowicz and Dimitrov. However his attitude really stinks. Even as a 16 year old he thought it was beneath him to practise with Lleyton Hewitt as he hadn't won a tournament in yonks. His attitude really holds him back, by the end of their careers Dimitriv and Janowicz will have achieved more, Tomic's potential is really starting to slip away.

At his dad likes fighting

Sorry but it is a rule whenever tomic is mentioned you have to talk about his dads antics.

I think you're giving Gulbis a bit too much credit. Snuck out a win vs Lopez today, but I'd be surprised if he gets past the form player of the last few weeks, Fognini - providing he beats Baghdatis first of course.

Having Dimitrov then Fognini is a nightmare for Murray, and there's every chance he could come unstuck against either. Get through them both and it's Del Potro next. They've only played once since 2009, Derek winning at Indian Wells earlier this season.

If Murray wins this tournament, he'll have earned it, that's for sure.

I think you're giving Gulbis a bit too much credit. Snuck out a win vs Lopez today, but I'd be surprised if he gets past the form player of the last few weeks, Fognini - providing he beats Baghdatis first of course.

Having Dimitrov then Fognini is a nightmare for Murray, and there's every chance he could come unstuck against either. Get through them both and it's Del Potro next. They've only played once since 2009, Derek winning at Indian Wells earlier this season.

If Murray wins this tournament, he'll have earned it, that's for sure.

Whilst I'd agree Fognini is the favourite, I still think it'll be quite a close match. Gulbis can be a quality player when he's on form and all of Fognini's recent success has come on clay, could be difficult for him to transition to the hard courts. Either way, should be a good match and either of them will be a potential banana skin for Murray. However, I would still expect Murray to come through that match, setting up an exciting QF with Delpo.

cillic is currently serving a silent doping ban which has been confirmed by his coach.

does anyone else think tsonga might be as well? he hasn't been seen since he did a similar disapearing act at wimbledon.

You tell us. You're the expect in doping in tennis.

Serve off is at 1700 BST according to Livescore. Murray retired at 1-1 in Rome a few months back the last time they met. Hopefully he's still on a high from winning Wimbledon and blows this chap off the court.

He beats Granollers 6-4 7-6, winning seven straight points in the tie break to win the match. He will play Gulbis in the next round who beat Fognini in three sets.

Good to get the first match out the way for Murray and to come through in straight sets helps as Granollers had a set point in the 2nd set.

So to his opponent in the next round Gulbis as in his match with Fognini, he got a time violation which he replied with serving underarm.

Hopefully Murray can keep his unbeaten record against him with a straight sets win tomorrow.

Yeah it was a standard Murray performance after a lay off, a few unforced errors on the forehand but also some rasping winners. His willingness to keep points short on his serve is very evident and clearly a tactic change enforced by Lendl. He favours the 'one-two' play a lot now, something Federer was a demon at circa 2004-2006.

Gulbis will be tricky but his game of going for the winner early in rallies evidently works against him more often than not. He's also a bit of a mentalist and likely to beat himself without Murray having to do much.

McKee also wants to have sex with Gulbis.

Loses the first 6-4, was 1-3 down and receiving in the second but broke back and now trails 3-4 on serve in the second. Gulbis is finding the line on every shot, he almost literally can't miss just now.

Loses 6-4 6-3. Never in doubt for Gulbis. He couldn't miss.

Edited by TheScarf

Aye Gulbis was a well deserved winner. I do agree he played poorly but Gulbis was brilliant with his power and length today. He continually found the line and Murray struggled to get the ball back in play where Gulbis had to make a difficult shot.

The main thing for Murray is if he is ever to attain number one status he can not have performances like that in early rounds. Although on the plus side he never lost any ranking points this week.