Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Murray's length on shots he added spin to was incredible. Each one would touch the line and take a large deviation ensuring Djokovic could not hit the ball sweetly. The first few times I figured he was getting a tad lucky, but he continually did it throughout the match. Lendl and Murray must have been working on that throughout his layoff. The spin employed in his second serves ensured that Djokovic could not attack the ball, like he normally would on Murray's second serve. Djokovic would typically win 70%+ on Murray 2nd serve, and it was a source of cheap points for him. However with the spin used, and the placement of these second serves it negating the advantage Djokovic previously had. It was a tactical master class.

If it wasn't for badly blistered feet picked up in five sets over Federer in the Oz Open, I think Murray could be sitting on three majors currently.

As for Murray becoming World No.1 it isn't likely anytime soon, but it certainly is achievable by the end of the year. Murray will lose the 750 points from the Olympic win in a month, but he has very little Masters points to defend while Djokovic has a lot. The most important thing for Murray is beating Djokovic when they play each other. For instance if Murray had beaten Djokovic in the Oz Open he would only be 1400ish points behind now instead of 3000ish.

With Nadal currently on 7000, race points, Djokovic on 6000 race points and Murray on 5000 race points the race for the year end number one is going to be tight. With Federer dropping down to 5th in the world any one of the three could meet him in the quarter finals, and Federer will always be good enough to beat them over three sets on Hard services.

Just to carry on that point about being No.1, if Murray also took one of six match points against Djokovic in the Shanghai Masters he would be a further 800 points closer to being No.1. Winning that two matches (Shanghai Master and Australian Open Finals) instead of losing would have seen a 2400 points swing in Murrays favour.

Watching it yesterday was a bit surreal - getting caught up in the commentary, on the tv and online, it was all too easy to actually forget to watch just how imperious he was. If that's Andy Murray on top of his game, and he maintains it, then he can win as many slams as he wants over the next 3 or 4 years.

Does anyone think Muzza is capable of completing the grand slam - ie winning all 4 at some point? You can see him winning the Aussie open, but could he ever win the French? He would be be one of the greatest of all time if he did - even Djokovic hasn't won all 4 slams. Probably not if Nadal is in the same tournament, but what if he's not competing?

Hey Ivan, your wife has been having an affair with Boris Becker

IVAN-LENDL_2825567.jpg

Nah, I was only joking Ivan, you've actually won the entire Euromillions jacketpot, £200m.

IVAN-LENDL_2825567.jpg

Coolest man on the planet.

Does anyone think Muzza is capable of completing the grand slam - ie winning all 4 at some point? You can see him winning the Aussie open, but could he ever win the French? He would be be one of the greatest of all time if he did - even Djokovic hasn't won all 4 slams. Probably not if Nadal is in the same tournament, but what if he's not competing?

He now has Wimbledon, the US Open and a singles Olympic gold medal in the bag. He will surely win the Australian Open and ATP World Tour Finals at some point in the next few years too, so the French Open is indeed Murray's (and Djokovic's) biggest challenge.

Does anyone think Muzza is capable of completing the grand slam - ie winning all 4 at some point?

He has no chance whatsoever of winning the French Open. Djokovic will win it at some point and complete a career Grand Slam though.

He has no chance whatsoever of winning the French Open. Djokovic will win it at some point and complete a career Grand Slam though.

I don't think Murray likes clay at all, it is his kryptonite. He seems to pick up niggly little injuries on it. I think if he applied himself he might get one opportunity to win it in his career, Tim Henman probably would have won the French Open if he got past Coria in the Semi Finals. He had a great start but capitulated against the eventual winner. I wouldn't go as far as you H_B and say no chance but I would have it under 5%.

I think Murray will win the other three majors in his career, and will probably end up with five or six when he retires.

I've been thinking about Murray's achievement and whether he should be hailed as Scotland's greatest sportsman and the thing that makes it really stand out is the unbelievable pressure he was under to actually do it. 40-0 championship point to break point after break point and he still managed to come through and serve out for the match. It was a monumental effort and I still cant believe he actually did it. I'm trying to think if anyone's ever been under such pressure in their particular sport and I cant really think of many examples that come close.

He looked completely spent after the match and given his fitness levels you can see the effect it must have had on him. I'm still amazed at it.

I think he will be Scotland's greatest sportsman at the end of his career. Realistically, who are the other alternatives?

It has to be a real sport (which rules out the likes of cycling and motor racing), which narrows the field.

I agree. In terms of Scottish sportsmen, what he's achieved so far in his career hasn't been matched by any Scot in any sport in history.

Murray definite leader in terms of modern Scottish sportsman for me. Allan Wells is maybe a shout but his gold medal will always have an asterisk next to it, even though he beat Lewis and the rest of the Yanks around that time as well.

• 2 weeks later...

He's going for his third Rogers Cup/Canada Masters 1000 title next week in Montreal after winning in 2009 and 2010. The North American hardcourt series is my favourite period of the tennis season. Mainly because I enjoy watching hardcourt tennis more than clay or grass and also because Andy is rather grand on it.