Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Great to see Murray winning this title for the 3rd time (2009,2011,2013) and now we can look forward to Wimbledon.

The doubles match was fun and when Murray hit Lendl and the way he celebrated after he did it was great to see.

post-45146-0-88523600-1371424374_thumb.j

Potential Wimbledon quarter-final match-ups of Djokovic vs. Berdych, Ferrer vs. Del Potro, Nadal vs. Federer and Tsonga vs. Murray.

Becker up first for Andy.

Edited by Adolfo Rios

Not the best draw from Murray's point of view, but then it's not the worst. I'm sure he'd have rather had either Berdych or Del Potro in the QF. Purely because of how unpredictable Tsonga is. Although he seems to have the beating of him on grass.

As for the semis. Well he's going to have to face one of them eventually. So that's irrelevant.

Not the best draw from Murray's point of view, but then it's not the worst. I'm sure he'd have rather had either Berdych or Del Potro in the QF. Purely because of how unpredictable Tsonga is. Although he seems to have the beating of him on grass.

As for the semis. Well he's going to have to face one of them eventually. So that's irrelevant.

I think it's a great draw. Avoiding Berdych on grass is a good thing! Tsonga's a good player, but as you say, Murray has the beating of him. Cilic and Youzhny are dangerous opponents though, as is Tipsarevic, although he's struggling a bit right now.

Let's not kid ourselves here, Murray won't drop more than one, maybe two sets, on his way to the semi-finals and he'll essentially pump whoever he plays silly, and that includes Tsonga, whose number Murray definitely has on grass.

I'd be shocked if Nadal didn't see off Federer. Nadal v Murray in the semi-final would/will be a pretty fascinating one as Andy hasn't played Rafa since his big breakthrough last summer.

• 2 weeks later...

It's all on the ATP Tour website. Edited to add helpful link: http://www.atpworldtour.com/Rankings/Rankings-Home.aspx

Murray'll move within 3000 points once the rankings are updated, but then the Olympics results drop off in a few weeks to widen the gap. Djokovic has lots of points to defend in the run up to the US Open though, whereas Murray has very little. It would take complete reversals in form (from the same period last year) for Murray to be #1 by then.

While it's possible for him to become #1 earlier, it might not be realistic until the Tour Finals at the O2.

Maybe another poster can be more helpful with the maths...

Edited by morrison

He is currently 145 in the world and is in the Final of a Challenger event in New York state, which is a 2nd string event(the events you do before you are on the main tour). He should get into the top 100 this year.

And what a long way he's come since 2005. Top man. Top thread.

Watched the whole thing twice now as I was a bit too tense to appreciate what was going on "live". But what a great match he played, he thoroughly deserved the win. He was outstanding right the way through.