Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

2 hours ago, Loki said:

Although Djokovic hasn't officially pulled out one of his fan girl journalists has said that he will be missing the tournament and she is usually correct.  If both pull out it it will mean Stan Wawrinka will be the number one seed at a Masters Event for the first time in his career.  If he was to win the final tomorrow, a very good clay court season could see him sneak to second in the world if Djokovic continues to struggle.

Murray will be dropping 90 points from Miami last year but as this will count as an exemption, his 150 points from Doha will now count towards his ranking. So he'll net gain 60 points.  Djokovic has no non countable tournaments so he will lose 1000 points if he doesn't play.

Never knew that could happen. Will they drop off again if he plays in a certain number of 500 events? I imagine it means he'll definitely be playing in Montreal in August which he missed because of the Olympics last year. Also, at least this time next year he'll once again have plenty of points to play for in the first few months.

I thought about Stan pipping Djokovic to world number two the other day as well like you said, although he's never beaten Federer on a hard court and Federer has been making the most of his draws when they've opened up somewhat.

Your ranking is 16 events plus the WTF.  Normally it would be the the four slams plus eight mandatory masters plus four 500 events.  But if a player chooses to play more then it becomes the 12 mandatories plus best four results.  In Murray's case they would drop off if he was to play in tournaments that gained him more than 150 points.

Players can qualify for exemptions from the mandatory Masters events by either having played 600 matches, 12 years on tour or being over the age of 31.  You get an exemption for each criteria you meet.  Murray qualifies for the first two (played over 800 matches, turned pro in 2005).

Might be playing Federer in a charity match a day or two after, though. :lol:

As long as he's fully fit for Monte Carlo, or if not then Madrid and Rome. It's good for Edmund and Evans letting them play in the Davis Cup. Murray has more than done his bit over the years.

Jo Konta has just won the women's event. Going by my calculations she's now the third most successful British women in the open era behind Wade and Barker? Purely based on the fact that they've both won a GS.

Jo Konta has just won the women's event. Going by my calculations she's now the third most successful British women in the open era behind Wade and Barker? Purely based on the fact that they've both won a GS.

Ann Jones won Wimbledon on 1969 which was at the start of the open era.

Wiki says see she won 113 singles titles in her career although the majority of these were before the open era. This includes the "Tally Ho!" tournament several times. [emoji3]

Eta Congratulations to Jo Konta. Will be interesting to see if she can build on this win and maybe genuinely threaten in one of the Slams.

Federer wins the first GS and the first two Masters of the year. He just doesn't go away does he? Unreal at 35 and a half. 

I remember tennis experts saying no-one would have the longevity of Agassi but he has surpassed that and then some. In a far harder era as well.

He's looked damn good. I do wonder how he'd be fairing with a fit Murray and Djokovic in the mix, but his wins against Berdych and Kyrgios were very impressive.

If Nadal were to have the sort of clay court season that Federer has just had to start the year then Murray and Djokovic might well end up third and fourth in the rankings by the end of the year.

Really want Andy to come back stronger than ever.

Interesting. That makes the clay court season all the more important for Murray and Djokovic if so.

Edit: so how many exemptions from Masters 1000 events does Federer get?

Edited by Elixir

Due to his age, years on tour and number of matches played I'm sure he'll be at the highest number of allowed exemptions anyway. I'm not sure exactly what they are, although I seem to remember the rules being changed for this year - something along the lines of not being allowed to skip the same event two years in a row.

Loki will have a better idea. He always knows this stuff. But I don't think there would really be any punishment to him anyway. Just the obvious inability to pick up rankings points at them.

Yeah, I Googled it and found out that it's three and also that you can't miss the same event in consecutive years like you say. In that case, he'll have to play the clay court events next year?

Does Monte Carlo count towards this as it's non-mandatory?

Federer qualifies for three exemptions.  Although there are rules covering exemptions (they've been explained in the posts above) you can easily take the 0 and the fine for skipping them.  I am sure Roger could get medical certification for clay court events if he chose to not use his exemptions, meaning he would record the 0 in his ranking only.

Monte Carlo you can miss every year if you want.