Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Some boy Nick. Knocking out the number 1 player in the world and defending champion despite having more than one heads gone during it.
If he can beat Medvedev there’s no one left in the draw for him to fear. I think he’s favourite to win it now.

Some boy Nick. Knocking out the number 1 player in the world and defending champion despite having more than one heads gone during it.
If he can beat Medvedev there’s no one left in the draw for him to fear. I think he’s favourite to win it now.
It's often the case that the person most likely to beat Kyrgios is himself though.

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:
1 hour ago, Lex said:

It's often the case that the person most likely to beat Kyrgios is himself though.

Yep been true his whole career, but now he's playing so well that he can beat the top guys even with one of his meltdowns happening during the match. Novak would still beat him obviously, but he's not here so i don't know who stops him. He's now got Khachanov in the quarters and one of Berrettini or Ruud in the semis, i'd be very surprised if he doesn't make the final, where he will face... Some cracking matches in the other half of the draw today. 

image.png.d2ab0e1bb7bd4eacbeb954ff3a83dc37.png

Could Norrie make his second slam quarter final in a row? Rublev is a cracking player but Cam is the higher seed and surely goes in as favourite and i fancy him to do it. I'd imagine the future superstars Sinner and Alcaraz will get through and they will face each other in a blockbuster quarter final.

Nadal hanging around ominously as expected at the bottom of the draw, he'll surely beat the last American left in Tiafoe later and i expect he will beat Norrie in the quarters. I think we will see a changing of the Spanish guard in the semi final though. I'm going for Alcaraz to knock out Rafa to set up a final with Kyrgios.

Tiafoe beats Nadal in four sets [emoji54]
Rafa well past his best and has been struggling since Wimbledon, but still a bit of an upset.
Also surprised at Norrie losing in straight sets, thought he’d be a lot more competitive than that. A really disappointing result for him.

2 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Am I right in saying Cilic is the only slam champion left in the men’s draw? 

He’s the only US Open champion left in either draw.

With that defeat Carlos Alcaraz can be the youngest ever world number one of he makes the final and Casper Ruud doesn’t.

The number one scenarios are quite funny actually.  Casper Ruud can be world number one if he makes the final and Alcaraz doesn’t.  He will never have won a title above 500 level.

Alcaraz will be number one if he makes the final and Casper Ruud doesn’t win the title.

If neither Alcaraz or Ruud make the final, Nadal will be number one once again.

26 minutes ago, Loki said:

The number one scenarios are quite funny actually.  Casper Ruud can be world number one if he makes the final and Alcaraz doesn’t.  He will never have won a title above 500 level.

Alcaraz will be number one if he makes the final and Casper Ruud doesn’t win the title.

If neither Alcaraz or Ruud make the final, Nadal will be number one once again.

That Ruud scenario is reminiscent of the women’s game over the past 20 years at least during Serena’s down periods. The slams were so inconsistent that players could vulture a bunch of 250 titles and be top 5 in the world. 

David Ferrer got pretty high (3rd IIRC) in the mens rankings without ever winning a slam. But at least he did win a 1000 event once and was regularly making slam QF/SF in the early part of the previous decade. 

32 minutes ago, Donathan said:

That Ruud scenario is reminiscent of the women’s game over the past 20 years at least during Serena’s down periods. The slams were so inconsistent that players could vulture a bunch of 250 titles and be top 5 in the world. 

David Ferrer got pretty high (3rd IIRC) in the mens rankings without ever winning a slam. But at least he did win a 1000 event once and was regularly making slam QF/SF in the early part of the previous decade. 

Or the mens game before the big four came along.  Rios was number one without winning a slam.

Ferrer did make number three but he had a Masters win, a Masters final and the French Open final in his ranking.  With the same number of points he would be world number one on Monday 😂

In fact Andy Murray has been ranked number four in the world with more ranking points than the number one will have on Monday.  When Andy reached number one he had more than double the points that the number one on Monday will have.  At least if it is Rafa he will have won two slams this year.

Nadal and Cilic out yesterday, so we’ll have a first time Grand Slam Champion soon. It’s going to be one of:
IMG_9716.jpg
Got to fancy crazy Kyrgios as favourite, with the winner of Sinner or Alcaraz the most likely to face him in the final.

Ruud in straight sets, much too good for Berrettini. Saved set points in the third before winning it in a tie break. Second slam semi final of the year for him, he looks like the real deal.