Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

3 minutes ago, Broomhill Ultra said:

I started playing again during Covid for the first time since before Scotland were last at a World Cup. Forgot what a brilliant game it is and now playing club league matches, great fun. Anybody else play a bit? 

I did years ago, my dad was a shit hot tennis player when he was younger and was gonna get selected for Perthshire County but had a bad temperament ala McEnroe so scuppered it. If I get a few practices in I can play well a bit but never club level really, can’t serve overhand but can do a mean spin underhand serve.

21 minutes ago, Broomhill Ultra said:

I started playing again during Covid for the first time since before Scotland were last at a World Cup. Forgot what a brilliant game it is and now playing club league matches, great fun. Anybody else play a bit? 

Dabble a bit in the lower reaches of the West of Scotland League. We actually beat Broomhill a few weeks ago on our journey to another season of mid table obscurity 😀

28 minutes ago, Lex said:

Dabble a bit in the lower reaches of the West of Scotland League. We actually beat Broomhill a few weeks ago on our journey to another season of mid table obscurity 😀

It’s a great setup, We’re going to get a second successive promotion from 7 to 6 this season. I also got a game in Div 4 which was a wee confidence booster. Injuries starting to creep in a bit though! 😵

On 13/06/2023 at 11:42, TheScarf said:

Anyone play with a one handed backhand?  When I play I try to but i can't get the whip right and always end up lobbing it.

I seem to have lost confidence in my 2 handed backhand so I now mostly slice when attacking or do a defensive push shot which is a bit floaty against better players. These are not technical terms 😆. Definitely need to work on backhand all round.

Quite a few ex-footballers play in our leagues. 

For the first time 4 British women reach the quarter finals of the same WTA event. Boulter has been wracked with injuries but should comfortably be a top 75 looking to be a top 50 player and Burrage draws a bit of a comparison with Laura Robson but arguably has a better game at the net

9 hours ago, OmegaSpeedyPro said:

Would still be shocked if andy made it into the second week at wimbeldon despite recent success .

Me too.  It's one thing beating a load of guys with triple digit rankings best of 3, beating top 32 in the world guys over best of 5 is a different matter altogether.

On 13/06/2023 at 11:42, TheScarf said:

Anyone play with a one handed backhand?  When I play I try to but i can't get the whip right and always end up lobbing it.

I can’t do a two handed back hand, and very rarely can do a one hander, but when I do somehow pull it off it’s Federer style, probably my favourite shot to try besides a cross court dink/slice.

13 hours ago, OmegaSpeedyPro said:

Would still be shocked if andy made it into the second week at wimbeldon despite recent success .

3 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Me too.  It's one thing beating a load of guys with triple digit rankings best of 3, beating top 32 in the world guys over best of 5 is a different matter altogether.

It will solely dependent on his draw.  If he makes a seeding he will likely be paired to face seeds 1-8 in the 3rd Round.  If he’s not seeded he could meet anyone in the first round.

He has already shown that he can beat these players, his issue is that these tend to be long matches and that wears him down.  On grass there aren’t as many brutal rallies, so even a three hour match isn’t as gruelling.

But the accumulative affect of these matches means he’s not fresh when he meets a better player. Third Round of Australia is an example of that.

The other factor in his favour is the little grass experience the younger guys have.  There will be top seeds vulnerable on grass, but Murray’s serve has to find its level.

He could easily face a jobber, jobber and then Rune or Ruud.  Even Medvedev and Tsitsipas are winnable matches on grass if he’s fresh.

His time on court is key, and his serve looks really good, but again it’s difficult to gauge that against low ranked players.

It is likely that both Rublev and Medvedev are likely to be top 8 seeds.  Marcus Willis beat both of them in qualifying in 2016.  That run just gets more legendary as the years pass 😂

13 hours ago, OmegaSpeedyPro said:

That would certainly be an upset if he managed that - would be great to see him get one more run though.  The last time he made the second week of any major was Wimbeldon 2017. He's only made it past the second round of a slam three times since. As has been said, there's no doubt he's good enough to win titles at challenger tour level. The grand slams are basically a whole different sport. 

Katie Boulter is rapidly becoming one of my favourite players in the women's game. She's not the best player but has such guts and determination. Alize Cornet really should be winning outright with her talent and pedigree 

De Minaur in Round One, Schwarzman or Qualifier in 2, Taylor Fritz in QF.  He will do well to get through that to make the semi finals and a seeding.

6 minutes ago, Loki said:

De Minaur in Round One, Schwarzman or Qualifier in 2, Taylor Fritz in QF.  He will do well to get through that to make the semi finals and a seeding.

de Minaur in round 1 is a horrendous draw.