Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Well that was all rather easy for De Minaur.  He won’t be seeded for Wimbledon, and the weeks rest will do him good.

Will be dependent on the draw a week on Friday.  Might play Eastbourne next week, but the points will be too late for Wimbledon seedings.

Bit of a dose of reality that for Murray.  Beating guys like world number 147 Alex Cazaux in the final of on the challenger tour is one thing, but it’s meaningless preparation when it comes to playing a top 20 guy like De Minaur in an ATP event. 

Hopefully he gets a kind draw and wins a couple of matches, but if he’s going to get to the second week he’s probably going to have to beat a guy as good as if not better than De Minaur over five sets. A big ask. 

He was remarkably flat yesterday, just didn’t get going at all.  De Minaur just seems to read Murray very well, even when Murray moves around his backhand to hit the forehand down the line, De Minaur was already there.

His best chance will always be taking a high ranked seed in the First Round that isn’t comfortable on grass.  There’s plenty of them in the draw.  But he has to give himself a chance yesterday he lost belief very quickly and accepted that defeat.  De Minaur was very good, but didn’t really have to break a sweat.

Murray 60 Wimbledon wins is the same as the combined total for World No.2-12 and of that only one is in double figures. Certainly plenty seeds that he'd back himself to beat but you'd feel 1st set is crucial. 

Also noticed Novak's 86 Wimbledon wins is more than the rest of the current top 20, who have 85 combined.

As expected, Alcaraz wins Queens.  A lot of talk from the commentators about him doing the Queens-Wimbledon double, following in the footsteps of the likes of Sampras, Hewitt and Murray, but I think it's Djokovic's to lose yet again.

Murray draws fellow Brit Ryan Peniston in the first round, who’s a wildcard and ranked outside of the world top 200.

However if he wins that, it’s Thiem or Tsitsipas in round 2. Those players have 6 combined grand slam finals and Thiem won the US open in 2020.

The only saving grace is that neither of them have a great record on grass. They do have a grass court title apiece (Thiem in Stuttgart in 2016 and Tsitsipas in Mallorca last year) but neither has been past the fourth round at Wimbledon and both have only been past the third round once.

Can still dream that route to the final is still a thing to look at for him.

R1 -  Peniston
R2 - Tsitsipas/Thiem
R3 - Shelton/Cressy
R4 - Norrie/Korda
QF - Medvedev/Paul
SF - Alcaraz/Rune
F - Djokovic/Ruud/Sinner/Rublev

1 hour ago, GaryMc93 said:

Can still dream that route to the final is still a thing to look at for him.

R1 -  Peniston
R2 - Tsitsipas/Thiem
R3 - Shelton/Cressy
R4 - Norrie/Korda
QF - Medvedev/Paul
SF - Alcaraz/Rune
F - Djokovic/Ruud/Sinner/Rublev

I think second week is achievable with a big performance in R2. Can’t see him getting past Norrie or Korda though. 

That's a dream draw for Andy that. He's not seeded so he could have got Djokovic or Alcaraz in the first round. Instead he's got the the local jobber wildcard Peniston. 27 years old, 267 in the world. The kind of guy that shouldn't really be in the tournament in the first place, but who is dining out on being from the south of England. Will be an easy win for Andy, that's the kind of guys he's been beating no problem on the challenger circuit. 

Tsitsipas and Thiem will obviously be much tougher, but neither are up to much on grass and neither have ever been beyond the 4th round at Wimbledon. 

3 hours ago, Donathan said:

I think second week is achievable with a big performance in R2. Can’t see him getting past Norrie or Korda though. 

Yeah encouraging draw as he's avoided some of the more experienced grass court players. Does have a win over Tsitsipas on grass last year in a best of 3 and should suit him to catch them early when he's fresh.

A couple of months ago I wondered if Murray might play this Wimbledon and then call it a career but since then he’s won three challengers. Obviously the competition is much lower than the general ATP events let alone the grand slams but he’s obviously still a really decent player especially over the shorter best of three format.

He’s absolutely earned the right to continue or otherwise on his own terms. No one could begrudge him the right to focus on his wife and kids/media/coaching if that’s what he wants to do next, but also if he’s quite happy winning challenger events for fun and playing 2-3 matches at the grand slams then that’s okay too.

IMO he’s the best sportsman Scotland has ever produced and there’s a strong argument for being the best in the entire UK. If he was about fifteen years younger he’d easily win 10-15 grand slams against this next generation of jobbers. 

4 minutes ago, Donathan said:

He’s absolutely earned the right to continue or otherwise on his own terms. No one could begrudge him the right to focus on his wife and kids/media/coaching if that’s what he wants to do next, but also if he’s quite happy winning challenger events for fun and playing 2-3 matches at the grand slams then that’s okay too.

I don't think the decision to retire will be on his own terms tbh even if he has earned that right,  He still hasn't shown any signs he can give up playing.  I think he'll play in whatever circuit he can for as long as he can physically drag himself onto the court.  Is there a big enough coaching/ambassador/unlikely media role that will force him into considering anything other than playing? I doubt it, He's a competitor to the core, being able to be in that environment seems as essential to him as eating and breathing. 

That is about a nice a draw as you could pick, getting a high seed in the second round, one who isn’t particularly good on grass and has potentially injured himself playing in Mallorca.

It’s all up to him.  If he really believes he can do something, the time is now.  If he can get past Round 2 he has a shot at a deep run.  Who knows what seeds will fall before then.

Murray will be playing on Tuesday as Djokovic will open Centre Court on the Monday.  No middle Sunday rest anymore either.

22 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Can't be too many times the world #4 (Ruud) is 100/1 for a tournament. 

Must be some value in backing someone on Alacaraz side of the draw as an each way or to reach the final, just don't know who. 

Whoever gets out of the section containing Norrie and Korda I fancy to make a long run in the tournament. Not many good grass court players these days but those are two of them. 

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/jul/01/andy-murray-wimbledon-retirement-novak-djokovic-tennis

"Andy Murray says he has a period in mind for when he would like to end his professional career, a decision he began to think about in his long, gruelling series of matches during his run at the Australian Open in January.

“After the matches I was having, it was like, this maybe isn’t that good for me, like, long term to be playing those sorts of matches,” said Murray. “Yeah, I could keep doing that probably, I don’t know, until the hip finishes. I don’t really want to do that. I want to finish on my terms when I’m fit and healthy and still competing at a good level. I would like to finish in that way rather than it being, like, an injury. I know you can’t control that entirely.

While the end point in his mind is not at all definitive, Murray believes it is important to have one in his thoughts so that he can begin to make plans for life after his career and also so that, mentally, he knows that there will be a time when the sacrifices he has had to make in order to continue playing will come to an end."