Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Greatest Scottish sportsman I'll ever see. A pleasure and inspiration to be able to watch and support him for 20 years.

The only regret would be that we have f**k all tennis legacy to show for it in Scotland. Why do we not have a proper tennis facility up here? I think Murray's only been able to play Davis Cup and Challenger events up here. He must be one of the few, if not the only, grand slam winner who was never able to play in a ATP level tournament in his home country. The LTA or whoever the f**k is in control has fucked it big time for us. Could be talking out my hole here, but it seems like they're only arsed about tennis for their fellow toffs in the south of England.

Edited by Jives Miguel

1 hour ago, JS_FFC said:

Papped out 7-6 6-4. All down to the mixed with Raducanu now.

He’s not a doubles player he’s not going to do anything in a competitive sense with Raducanu either.

These doubles matches are a farewell testimonial.

1 hour ago, Jives Miguel said:

Greatest Scottish sportsman I'll ever see. A pleasure and inspiration to be able to watch and support him for 20 years.

The only regret would be that we have f**k all tennis legacy to show for it in Scotland. Why do we not have a proper tennis facility up here? I think Murray's only been able to play Davis Cup and Challenger events up here. He must be one of the few, if not the only, grand slam winner who was never able to play in a ATP level tournament in his home country. The LTA or whoever the f**k is in control has fucked it big time for us. Could be talking out my hole here, but it seems like they're only arsed about tennis for their fellow toffs in the south of England.

Fair points. Murray Trophy Challenger seems to have died with Covid. There's a big presence of Scottish players - Fearnley, Jamie, Maia Lumsden for starters - but yes, there's nothing to keep or attract professionals here.

"Going out at the top" is for egotistical wankers. Proper competitors like Murray are different. He loves tennis and clearly wanted to get himself back to a good level where he could compete but his body hasn't been up to it. There's no shame in him finishing his career this way. An absolute legend of a guy. 

Didn’t see it, but a great result from Raducanu and by all accounts another great performance. Shes got a fairly favourable draw to the semis, where she’d likely meet Gauff, if she carries on her form. 

Alcaraz was great earlier, but got the job done. Sinner looks to be the boy to beat so far.  

Edited by MONKMAN

Raducana is a fantastic player; undoubtedly the best British woman for about 50 years. Bizarrely she’s been the target for a lot of negativity amongst sections of British tennis fans.

Shes 21 and like everyone her age she’s developing and improving. Unlike most her age, she’s also a major champion. 
I think she could win this tournament. Not saying she will but she definitely is amongst the group of four or five that could. 
As for the mens draw it will be one of Alcaraz, Sinner or Djokovic that wins it. No one comes close to those three at the moment.

The Spaniard is the marginal favourite with Sinner a close second. Djokovic well back in third place, but still, no one would be surprised if he beat the two young wolves to win it. And given his seeding he probably would have to beat them both. He’s seeded to play Alcaraz in the semi and Sinner in the final. 

9 hours ago, Lex said:

As for the mens draw it will be one of Alcaraz, Sinner or Djokovic that wins it. No one comes close to those three at the moment.

The Spaniard is the marginal favourite with Sinner a close second. Djokovic well back in third place, but still, no one would be surprised if he beat the two young wolves to win it. And given his seeding he probably would have to beat them both. He’s seeded to play Alcaraz in the semi and Sinner in the final. 

Im pretty sure Alcaraz and Sinner are in the same half of the draw, so would meet in the semi. Djokovic is the other half so would meet either in the final.