Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

10 minutes ago, Stephen Malkmus said:

If I had a bunch of posh arseholes acting the goat and braying as I did my job I'd be reacting the same way

Nobody was booing him though, even when explained to him that they were shouting "Ruuuuuuune" he doubled down on the crowd disrespecting him.

Some interesting matches in the QF’s. Sinner against Medvedev the stand out, The world number one should have too much for him on grass. Can’t see Paul causing Alcaraz any problems.

On the other side of the draw not many people would have called a Fritz and Musetti quarter final match up pre tournament. The Italian has been playing superbly and I think he’ll get through. 
De Minaur is playing in his fourth major quarter final, he’s never made a semi. Probably won’t this time either.

IMG_8186.jpeg

1 hour ago, Nightmare said:

Djokovic is so, so needy it's embarrassing.

The Wimbledon crowd don’t like him very much and exact same for him when he plays at US open. 

2 minutes ago, throbber said:

The Wimbledon crowd don’t like him very much and exact same for him when he plays at US open. 

I'd say it goes beyond just the Wimbledon and Flushing Meadows crowds. And there's a reason that he's not afforded the same adulation as the other top players.

Djokovic has been the pantomime villain at almost ever single tournament he's played in his whole career, he absolutely loves it and thrives on it. 

Almost makes his achievements more remarkable. It's certainly easier to win titles when you've got the crowd pulling for you every single point, he's never had that, and he's still won more than anyone else. 

3 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

I'd say it goes beyond just the Wimbledon and Flushing Meadows crowds. And there's a reason that he's not afforded the same adulation as the other top players.

He’s popular at the Australian open but that’s probably about it.

I’m not sure he entirely deserves it. He doesn’t come across as likeable as others and his style of play isn’t as majestic as Federer was but I think he gets a hard time for such a brilliant player.

This was one of my favourite Djokovic moments against Federer in 2011. Listen to how silent it falls with the disappointment Federer hasn’t won yet and then Djokovic holding his arms up to get the crowd acknowledging his absolutely unreal return of serve. I wish he’d shouted “ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!!”

He went on to win the match and then beat Nadal in the final and the crowd still didn’t really enjoy it very much.

1 hour ago, Lex said:

Almost makes his achievements more remarkable. It's certainly easier to win titles when you've got the crowd pulling for you every single point, he's never had that, and he's still won more than anyone else. 

😂

Laughable birthday card pish.

What a match that was on centre, a four hour epic between Sinner and Medvedev, with the latter edging it in five sets.

He’s an absolute monster of a competitor Medvedev, Sinner was at him the whole match and when he won the fourth 6-2 it looked like there was only going to be one winner.  
Wrong, he turned it around wand won the 5th 6-3. Will play Alcaraz in the semi final, probably. 
Medvedev is firmly in the ‘if the other players weren’t better he’d have won a lot more’ club. 

On 07/07/2024 at 20:03, Utdtillidie2 said:

She was under dog in her previous matches, today she was expected to win. I just don’t think she has the experience to cope with the pressure. She almost looked like she was getting the excuses in before she won the 2nd set.

Experience is right. That was only her 18th match at a slam, and 7th in two and a half years. Injuries have denied her a lot of experience for her age, she's more like a player in their second year on the tour.

On 09/07/2024 at 12:07, Lex said:

Djokovic has been the pantomime villain at almost ever single tournament he's played in his whole career, he absolutely loves it and thrives on it. 

I see that a lot but that's not what I see when I watch Djokovic. I think he hates it and he's desperate to have the love of the crowd. He's done a lot to try to win them over. Drawing love hearts in the clay at Rolland Garros and lying in them was particularly nauseating.

But he's a bit of a dick so it's never going to happen.

Other players have been treated much, much worse.

Semi final day today and it’s hard to see beyond Djokovic and Alcaraz repeating last years epic final.

Musetti has been the player of the tournament, don’t often see the 25th seed in the semi. His slice won’t be as effective against a rested Djokovic as it was against Fritz though. His run surely ends today. 

Alcaraz v Medvedev is a repeat of last years semi final, which Alcaraz cruised through in straight sets. Medvedev can hurt him on hard court but it’s a different game on grass.

IMG_8202.jpeg