Andy Murray The Greatest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Had never heard of Paolini before this year but that was a terrific win v Vekic. What with Sinner and Musetti, Johnny Italian is certainly compensating in tennis for their current fitba rubbishness.

Carlos in four and Novak in three no surprises.

Musetti and Medvedev actually both played quite well, but there was a bit of inevitability about the results.

A rematch of the 2023 epic on Sunday then. Should be a great day for Spanish sport that, their boys are favourites in both finals. 

Scary how good Alcaraz already is at the age of 21. But he does go through spells in matches of losing concentration and being inpatient in rallies. 

There was a number of unforced errors yesterday, especially in the first set. Trying outrageous winners which he never had to go for. 

After the first set, he really stepped it up. First serve improved as the match went on. 

Djokovic was really good, shot selection is always bang on the money. Should be a great match on Sunday between the Goat and the apprentice.

6 hours ago, Connor7 said:

Scary how good Alcaraz already is at the age of 21. But he does go through spells in matches of losing concentration and being inpatient in rallies. 

There was a number of unforced errors yesterday, especially in the first set. Trying outrageous winners which he never had to go for. 

After the first set, he really stepped it up. First serve improved as the match went on. 

Djokovic was really good, shot selection is always bang on the money. Should be a great match on Sunday between the Goat and the apprentice.

I think it’s just the youthful exuberance and the want to entertain.  It’s in his nature, he will go for a winner if he thinks he can make it.  

But he showed his maturity yesterday, Medvedev has some basic flaws in his game.  Due to the massive swipes he needs to take with his forehand and backhand, you can make him mistime his ball.  It then makes it very difficult for him to hit down the line.  Alcaraz was continually waiting for the cross court ball to make him move, and then he would get easy winners.

Alcaraz will beat Djokovic on Sunday, as great a tennis player as Novak is technically and mentally, I just don’t think he has the physicality to go toe to toe with Alcaraz.  

I am not sure if you guys are aware but the BBC only have limited coverage of the Olympics so if you want to watch all the Olympic tennis you will need a Discovery+ subscription.  If you have Sky already you can get it for free, but if not it is 6.99 for the month.

Not that I would ever say that draws are rigged in tennis but…..

Nadal Vs Borg in 1st Round of Bastad.

On 12/07/2024 at 11:24, KirkieRR said:

Had never heard of Paolini before this year but that was a terrific win v Vekic. What with Sinner and Musetti, Johnny Italian is certainly compensating in tennis for their current fitba rubbishness.

She's 28 years old. Before this season she'd been to Wimbledon 6 times, three for the qualifiers and three for the main draw. She won one match, her first qualifying match against British wildcard Eden Silva who has a career high of 298.

Until this year she'd played in 16 slams, winning 4 matches and never going beyond the 2nd round.

In WTA 1000 events before this year she's once made a QF, in Cincinnati last August. In her first 13 tournaments at that level, up to Madrid last year, she'd won 6 matches.

By the time she turned 25 she'd won 13 tour matches in her whole career.

Then this season... R4 in Australia (where she'd never won a match before), won the WTA 1000 in Dubai (where she'd never won a match before), runner-up at the French (where she'd won 2 matches before), runner up at Wimbledon (where sh'd never won a match before). She'd never won a single tour match on grass until this summer.

I know there have been "late bloomers" before and she's been compared to fellow Italian women Pennetta and Schiavone but I can't think of anything on this scale.

If this were cycling... 

Edited by GordonS

12 minutes ago, GordonS said:

She's 28 years old. Before this season she's been to Wimbledon 6 times, three for the qualifiers and three for the main draw. She won one match, her first qualifying match against British wildcard Eden Silva who has a career high of 298.

Until this year she'd played in 16 slams, winning 4 matches and never going beyond the 2nd round.

In WTA 1000 events before this year she's once made a QF, in Cincinnati last August. In her first 13 tournaments at that level, up to Madrid last year, she'd won 6 matches.

By the time she turned 25 she'd won 13 tour matches in her whole career.

Then this season... R4 in Australia (where she'd never won a match before), won the WTA 1000 in Dubai (where she'd never won a match before), runner-up at the French (where she'd won 2 matches before), runner up at Wimbledon (where sh'd never won a match before). She'd never won a single tour match on grass until this summer.

I know there have been "late bloomers" before but I can't think of anything on this scale.

If this were cycling... 

Jasmine PEDlini  ??

16 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

The men’s doubles final has been class, going to a third set here after splitting a set each in tie breaks.

A Brit involved and his Finnish partner is loving the hometown support.

The tie-breaks have been amazing.

Absolutely mental that Alcaraz is just after his 21st birthday and yet if he retired tomorrow we'd be talking about his career in the same breath as Murray and Wawrinka.

Kyrgios is right that we've never seen Djokovic without any answers like today. Even when Murray thumped him in straight sets in 2013, it was three tight sets with just one break of serve each time. Alcaraz is absolutely dominating him today.

Tbf this is 37 year old Djokovic who recently had surgery, Murray was competing with him at his peak as well as Federer/Nadal. I’d be surprised if Alcaraz would have won 3 slams by 21 if he’d arrived on the scene 10-15 years ago.