Andy Murray The Greatest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

If anyone in tennis is doping then it's those two. Amazing transformations are a usually a sound indicator.

Nadal has looked done a few times over his career then been back to being a worldbeater a few months later. It just doesn't happen in tennis.

It does happen.

People were saying Murray's career was over because of the crap season after his back surgery. People were even saying it more recently...after Indian Wells and Miami this year!

It takes a while for people to recover after major surgery. It's why Nadal was crap last year, and Murray the year before. I wouldn't be suprised to see Del Potro back in the top 10 at some point next year.

Nadal is the one I'd be most confident about saying is a drug cheat, tbh. There have been so many peaks & troughs in his career from a fitness/injury perspective; seemingly gubbed by injury one match to sprinting around for 5 hours the next day.

Djokovic had his meteoric rise in 2014, but I do think he was a very talented player to begin with, but just needed to find a way to stop picking up minor injuries and coping better with the heat, which I seem to remember he struggled massively with. The gluten diet and his mad egg-shaped pressure chamber could be legitimate reasons for his then newly-found iron man abilities, or they could be a cover up. It wouldn't really surprise me either way, but if I had to pick one, I don't think he's 100% clean.

It does happen.

People were saying Murray's career was over because of the crap season after his back surgery. People were even saying it more recently...after Indian Wells and Miami this year!

It takes a while for people to recover after major surgery. It's why Nadal was crap last year, and Murray the year before. I wouldn't be suprised to see Del Potro back in the top 10 at some point next year.

Murray wasn't looking like being finished this year. He just looked tired and not really giving a f**k at that point in time. He always kicks on from the Australian getting better and better as the year progresses. Nadal on the other hand has been finished so many times it's kind of unbelievable.

Nadal is the one I'd be most confident about saying is a drug cheat, tbh. There have been so many peaks & troughs in his career from a fitness/injury perspective; seemingly gubbed by injury one match to sprinting around for 5 hours the next day.

Djokovic had his meteoric rise in 2014, but I do think he was a very talented player to begin with, but just needed to find a way to stop picking up minor injuries and coping better with the heat, which I seem to remember he struggled massively with. The gluten diet and his mad egg-shaped pressure chamber could be legitimate reasons for his then newly-found iron man abilities, or they could be a cover up. It wouldn't really surprise me either way, but if I had to pick one, I don't think he's 100% clean.

He won his first Grand Slam at 20, as you say he was already some player before he went to another level. it's not impossible that he found a (legal) way of sorting his conditioning, and with his style of play, being an incredible athlete will have even more of a positive effect than it would on some other players. You can't hit through him, therefore once players weren't able to outlast him he became unbeatable.

With Nadal I think deep down everyone knows the truth, whether they like to admit it or not.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Kyle Edmund won the first set 6-3 and is 2-0 up in the second against Janko Tipsarevic in the Davis Cup tie in Serbia. Rain has stopped play, if they don't resume soon it will be abandoned for the day an restart tomorrow. They are warming up just now but the weather still looks ropey.

Second set to Edmund 6-4.

Good to see Tipsarevic back playing, he's missed around 2 and a half years through injury, including having two benign tumours removed from his left foot and having his right knee reconstructed. He was in the top 10 for a couple of years before the injuries struck.

Rounds it off with a bagel. Played very very well, much like he did for 2 sets against Goffin in the final last year.

Looks a genuine prospect. If he can get to Murray standard of fitness then he could have a serious future.

Think it will be very tough for GB today. All comes down to Edmund v Lajovic as I can't see Ward winning, he looked completely shorn of any confidence on Friday. I have a bit of sympathy for Ward though, he was set to travel to the US to play on hard courts then gets a phone call on Monday to come and play on the clay, which isn't his best surface at the best of times never mind when he hasn't been training for it. Only thing in his favour today is the lack of game time that Tipsarevic has had.

Think it will be very tough for GB today. All comes down to Edmund v Lajovic as I can't see Ward winning, he looked completely shorn of any confidence on Friday. I have a bit of sympathy for Ward though, he was set to travel to the US to play on hard courts then gets a phone call on Monday to come and play on the clay, which isn't his best surface at the best of times never mind when he hasn't been training for it. Only thing in his favour today is the lack of game time that Tipsarevic has had.

Is it 100% set in stone that ward plays? Murray has travelled to support the team.....just wondering if a late change is even allowed?