Andy Murray The Greatest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

1 minute ago, dogmc said:

To be number 1 at any time is excellent but to do it in this era is extraordinary. One of maybe even the greatest sportsmen we've ever had.

He's definitely up there as the greatest British sportsperson of all time.  He's easily Scotland's greatest.

Greatest British sportsman of all time, beyond doubt now.

The only argument against I've heard before was that he was never the best in the world at his sport. Can tick that off now.

Arise, Sir Andy Murray.

It's great looking back at the start of this thread when people are talking about him being an up-and-comer with something special about him.

Fantastic achievement.

In the year where Novak Djokovic became the first man to hold all four slams since Rod Laver, Andy Murray has risen to number one.  Although it will be for a minimum of two weeks he has a great opportunity to cement his number one status over the next two weeks.

Never mind Lendl, the work Delgado has done with that serve is the founding block for his success.  The rise has coincided with the ditching of Mauresmo.  The part time work of Lendl and the tour work of Delgado seems to have got the very best out of him.  

Well done Andy Murray.

It's totally deserved. I'm so glad he's done it. 

Now he's achieved No.1, hope he wraps up the title tomorrow and goes on to dominate like the other 3 have before him. He is the 4th member of the " Fab Four " afterall. Now is his time. 

2017 - can he keep this standard going or get even better? Career GS ? If he does win the first two I reckon he could win them all in the calender year aswell.

World Tour Finals  - Should be interesting, he's never did good there. Hard to predict with his strong form now but has always underperformed at the WTFs.

Aussie Open - If he's ever gonna win this surely its 2017 or never? Deserves an Aussie Open. 

French Open - Last  couple years he's been awesome but fell short, If he wins the Aussie I wouldn't bet against him winning this and completing the Career GS. 

Wimbledon - Man to beat.

Us Open - Where it all really started, Junior Slam Champion, first Slam final, first Slam title but he's been dissapointing since he won there. Would be so fitting if he won his last here. 

Edited by Mr Anderson
spelling

On 29/03/2016 at 01:29, Elixir said:

He's finished. Clearly doesn't have the hunger that the likes of Djokovic and Federer have. Probably can't be arsed.

My favourite tennis quote of the year. :lol:

I had that bookmarked as it was the biggest over reaction to Murray's losses at Indian Wells and Miami.  Makes it funnier today that he clinched world number one.

I personally never thought he would have the consistency to make number one, but vastly improving his second serve, and fine tuning the first has seen him get the consistency that his game lacked.  He is utterly tremendous just now.  It's just a shame that Djokovic isn't good enough to get to meet Murray currently as it would be an annihilation.

2 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Isn't he P&B's favourite Canadian after his play and attitude at Wimbledon?

Anyway, well done, Andy.  Fantastic achievement.

I think Queens and Wimbledon changed a lot of people's perceptions of him. He hadn't received much media coverage over here and there was a lot of the "boring servebot" type of negative comments aimed at him as a result of his style of play. Comments which are still totally valid, I suppose, but the fact he came across as a genuinely decent guy when he finally did get some air time, and that he's obviously someone that Murray gets on well with, changed the way a lot of people thought.

Who cares if he happens to be ranked number one at this particular time period? Tennis, like any sport, is about winning trophies not momentarily finding yourself at the top of a rankings system.

Djokovic is the best player in the world. He is now and he will always be remembered as a far superior tennis player to Murray.

It's is absolute ridiculous the level of celebration because he finds himself at number one.

Belgium were number one in the FIFA world rankings a few months ago- have they ever at any point in their history been the best team in the world?? Have they fvck! What do you think they'd rather have? A euros/World Cup win? Or be able to say they've topped the world rankings momentarily.