Your top 5 favourite ever....

Derry boy

Players of all time and why? Im doing a report and a large write up on some football pieces and want to know your views and why. Dont have to be best, just favourite.

Ronaldo (phenomenon) - had it not of been for injuries I genuinely believe he would have been talked about now as the best ever. He absolutely pissed it at milan and Barcelona at such a young age and tore the best defences and keepers to bits. Pace, power, finishing and ridiculous ability with the ball at his feet. Such a shame that 3 brutal injuries ruined him, even then he was excellent at madrid, just not the same.

Messi - just love watching him. The way he runs and dribbles is everything I love about football, incredible footballer and a joy to watch.

Ronaldinho (prime) - probably one of the most naturally talented footballers I've seen. Got the impression he could just go without playing for a year, come back and still be just as good. A shame his attitude suffered and he just dipped. Was only really at his best for 2 years.

Maldini - the man was a rock, hard as nails. Great defender and one of best of a very talented generation.

Luis figo - amazingly talented player. Worked hard, scored goals and was a wonderful servant for madrid and Portugal. Was great at his time at barca also before winding down at inter. Still never to this day seen a bigger hatred for any player as to when he returned to the nou camp with madrid. Mental.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Denis Law

For every wee boy growing up in the '60's in Scotland, he was the man.

Dixie Deans

As a Motherwell fan he was my first favourite player. I am not ashamed to admit I cried when he signed for Celtic.

Johan Cruyff

A genius, no more no less, and the player I have enjoyed watching the most.

Joe Jordan

I was at Hampden park to see his header against Czechoslovakia take us to the 1974 World Cup. For that alone, he has my utter devotion.

Ferenc Puskas

Again, growing up in Scotland in the '60's his was the name on everyone's lips. Every male adult of my acquaintance at that time claimed to have been at Hampden when Real beat Eintracht 7-3. It wasn't Di Stefano they spoke of in awe, but Puskas. Every wee boy that showed any football talent at all was nicknamed Puskas, as were the diddies.

Kahn

Bergkamp

Stoichkov

Koeman

Batistuta

94 world cup was the first one I was properly in to, these were the players who stood out for me, always kinda been my favourites since.

Kahn is in there for an utterly heroic performance at world cup 02. He was a man possessed in that tournament. Such a shame about the final.

Jim Leighton. As a young 'keeper he was my role model, the bravest 'keeper I've ever seen. Unfortunately my long kicks are just as dire as his.

Matt Le Tissier. We had Sky in the early days of The Premiership, Southampton games were a treat just to see what he'd do next. An absolute genius who looked like he wasn't even trying.

Ronaldo de Lima. For me the first "modern" Footballer. Has anyone ever put so many 'keepers on their arse? The fact that most people think he underachieved during his career despite winning 2 World Cups, 2 Copa Americas, the Cup Winners Cup, UEFA Cup, La Liga and was the World Cup's record goal scorer tells how good he was.

Roaldinho. He was a wizard. There was nothing he couldn't do with a football. Easily the most skillful footballer I've ever seen.

Rademal Falcao. I love two footed players and I still don't know which foot he favours. The quality and imagination in his finishing is second to none. I'm SEETHING that people who only watch the EPL think he's a diddy. I've never wanted a player to prove people wrong so much.

Jim Leighton. As a young 'keeper he was my role model, the bravest 'keeper I've ever seen. Unfortunately my long kicks are just as dire as his.

Matt Le Tissier. We had Sky in the early days of The Premiership, Southampton games were a treat just to see what he'd do next. An absolute genius who looked like he wasn't even trying.

Ronaldo de Lima. For me the first "modern" Footballer. Has anyone ever put so many 'keepers on their arse? The fact that most people think he underachieved during his career despite winning 2 World Cups, 2 Copa Americas, the Cup Winners Cup, UEFA Cup, La Liga and was the World Cup's record goal scorer tells how good he was.

Roaldinho. He was a wizard. There was nothing he couldn't do with a football. Easily the most skillful footballer I've ever seen.

Rademal Falcao. I love two footed players and I still don't know which foot he favours. The quality and imagination in his finishing is second to none. I'm SEETHING that people who only watch the EPL think he's a diddy. I've never wanted a player to prove people wrong so much.

Injuries have ruined falcao. Prob one of the best natural finishers in football in the last 6 years. Fully fit at athletico he was outstanding!

Schmeichel - Growing up being a keeper, he was the one you were aspiring to be, one of the best of all time, great shot stopper and could easily control his box.

Roberto Carlos - Hammer of a left foot, could score a free kick from any angle, curl it, smash it, bend it and not only was he good going forward, could actually defend which is rare in full backs these days.

Paul Scholes - Loved to watch him play, could find a player anywhere with a pass and scored some amazing goals.

Zinedine Zidane - For such a big guy, he could stroll about a pitch like a gazelle, turn players, pull off tricks a guy that has ghis stature shouldn't be able to do. Also that goal at Hampden.

Ronaldo (9) - Best finisher of a football I think I've watched, better than Messi and Ronaldo (7) IMO, just a poachers striker that I loved to watch.

Stuck to players I've grown up watching.

Albertz: Favourite ever Rangers player. That free kick against Celtic in 97 would still be travelling if the net hadn't gotten in the way.

CR7: 2nd behind Maradona as the greatest ever for me.

Steven Gerrard: Loved his passion for Liverpool. Carried that side for years.

Andres Iniesta & Phillip Lahm would be in there too.

José Luis Chilavert - the goal scoring keeper

Messi - need I explain?

Totti- one man club and top player.

Gheorghe Hagi - One of the best attacking mf ever.

Stevie May- simply because he was so good with Alloa.

Zinedine Zidane - My all time favourite player. The way he played football was beautiful.

Ronaldo - Probably the most complete striker I've ever seen.

Alessandro Del Piero - Growing up in the 90's, he was my hero.

Cristiano Ronaldo - As the second greatest player ever to kick a ball, I shall savour every moment him and Messi are playing football.

Lionel Messi - The greatest.

José Luis Chilavert - the goal scoring keeper

Messi - need I explain?

Totti- one man club and top player.

Gheorghe Hagi - One of the best attacking mf ever.

Stevie May- simply because he was so good with Alloa.

I remember in Jamie Redknapps early years at Sky. He was singing Totti's praises and wondering why he wasn't at a.bigger club. Souness and Gullit looked at him as if he was an idiot. Then explained that Totti is Roma, and if he went anywhere else he'd be treated differently. The implication being he'd have to train now and again.

I'll stick to players I've seen play regularly in the flesh- I saw Messi take the piss against Hibs in a pre-season friendly at Murrayfield and he was cracking but that was a one-off.

David Roseburgh- Meadowbank legend. There were many other good Thistle players I saw so he's standing on the shoulder of giants really.

Tam Nolan- an utter bam of a man but what a player for City he was

Wullie Broon- due to a bit of an injoke with a Saintee mate at school

John Collins was good at Hibs when I were a lad and finally..

Debbie McWhinnie- cracking wee footballer - very skillful.

I remember in Jamie Redknapps early years at Sky. He was singing Totti's praises and wondering why he wasn't at a.bigger club. Souness and Gullit looked at him as if he was an idiot. Then explained that Totti is Roma, and if he went anywhere else he'd be treated differently. The implication being he'd have to train now and again.

This maybe true but he could have walked into any team in the world.

The same could be said about the original Ronaldo with regards training.

Juninho - absolutely adore The Little Fella. Boro's greatest ever player, my favourite ever player, and an absolute gent to boot. Hero. In a way, it's a shame that Michel Salgado broke his leg with that horror challenge, as he was never quite the same player again, but, it meant he got to come back to the Boro again after, so in that respect it was actually a pretty good thing. Still think Brazil would have won the 98 world cup if he'd been fit.

Lionel Messi - the greatest footballer there has ever been. A pleasure to get to watch him every week. Has done things and played at a level over the last decade the no one has ever reached, and his goals and assists to games ratio is absolutely freakish. Will be amazed if I ever see a better player during my lifetime.

Ronaldo - really was a complete phenomenon and was the best player I'd ever seen prior to Messi. A combination of power, skill and clinical finishing that destroyed defences. His seasons at Barca and Inter before his knees crumbled were astonishing (that Bobby Robson "head in the hands" celebration after the solo goal will be trotted out for years), and to come back from such bad injuries as he did was amazing. Anyone referring to him as "Fat Ronaldo" should be beaten to within an inch of their life.

Dennis Bergkamp - Was a crop of brilliant "number 10s" playing when I was growing up, and (Juninho aside) Bergkamp was my favourite. Incredible ability, and he made everything look almost effortless. The weight of his passing was brilliant, and he scored some unbelievable goals (the Newcastle one is a personal favourite). Partnership with Henry was tremendous, and Arsenal really were a brilliant watch back then, a lot of which was down to Bergkamp's brilliance.

Patrick Vieira - struggled to pick a 5th as there were a fair few other players I really liked, but Vieira got the nod. the most complete central midfielder I've ever seen. A hell of a competitor who was tough as nails defensively as well as being comfortable on the ball and more than able to create and score going forward. His battles with Keane were brilliant to watch and he dominated sky sports favourites Gerrard and Lampard time and time again. As a midfielder myself when he was playing, I used to love watching him play.

Archived