Rhodeswatch

F_T_Y

I, for one, am shocked that Middlesbrough fans such as honest_man#1 and I (who watch Jordan Rhodes play in, and see his limitations in, a 4-2-3-1 system on a weekly basis) might actually be able to identify that Rhodes isn't really suited to that system, especially when he's expected to not only hold the ball up and bring others in to play, but create chances himself.

He's a cracking second tier poacher, and I hope he eventually proves me wrong, but at the minute he just isn't a top level striker (has had four guilt edged chances and only just taken one of them) and just isn't as good as Steven Fletcher.

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fletcher has 1 goal in 7 for Marseille and that came against a fourth tier amateur side in the cup.

His record for Scotland is 2 in 24 , two hat tricks against the part timers of Gibraltar count for nothing.

Played 15 times for Marseille I read.

Fwiw I actually think Rhodes is a better footballer than given credit for and it actually is a skill to always be in the right position to score even if it takes a few chances to score

I just think it is utterly pointless to be comparing a career in the epl with the championship.

Great assist there

7 according to Wikipedia.

He has been warming the bench in France.

A bizarre move for both parties.

11 on Soccerbase but that's not including French cup games, where he scored his goal. Wiki usually only has league games in the appearances total too.

I, for one, am shocked that Middlesbrough fans such as honest_man#1 and I (who watch Jordan Rhodes play in, and see his limitations in, a 4-2-3-1 system on a weekly basis) might actually be able to identify that Rhodes isn't really suited to that system, especially when he's expected to not only hold the ball up and bring others in to play, but create chances himself.

He's a cracking second tier poacher, and I hope he eventually proves me wrong, but at the minute he just isn't a top level striker (has had four guilt edged chances and only just taken one of them) and just isn't as good as Steven Fletcher.

I think tonight he's playing pretty well, creating space, getting in the right areas, and actually holding the ball up. He's had 4 chances, scored one, misses a sitter, and two good saves from the keeper. Clever header back across goal for the second as well.

It remains a mystery to me why he is constantly overlooked by Strachan.

Exactly what I've been trying to say. He's a good poacher but needs plenty of chances and misses quite a few good ones (which he'd rarely get playing for Scotland). Happy to be proved wrong though.

Fwiw I actually think Rhodes is a better footballer than given credit for and it actually is a skill to always be in the right position to score even if it takes a few chances to score

I just think it is utterly pointless to be comparing a career in the epl with the championship.

Great assist there

Agree with this. While Rhodes is in the Championship it is always going to be a bit of a leap of faith to choose him ahead of an EPL striker. He's right on the cusp of flipping the situation on its head tho - as someone else said, come August he could well be our only top league number 9... Playing in 'the system Ltd.' as well

If Jordan Rhodes was a top class striker we'd have had three points in the bag by the 60th minute tonight as opposed to being 2-2 at the 91st minute.

He just doesn't offer enough to lead the line for Scotland.

Archived