Rhodeswatch

F_T_Y

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Jordan Rhodes was a top class striker we'd have had three points in the bag by the 60th minute tonight as opposed to being 2-2 at the 91st minute.

He just doesn't offer enough to lead the line for Scotland.

On your last point he's as good as any other striker we have, and without doubt deserves to be in the current squad ahead of Chris Martin.

Someone made the point earlier that Sunderland are upto their necks in the shit yet let Fletcher go to Marseille, where he isn't scoring either.

That said I'd still have him in the squad along with Rhodes.

On your last point he's as good as any other striker we have, and without doubt deserves to be in the current squad ahead of Chris Martin.

Someone made the point earlier that Sunderland are upto their necks in the shit yet let Fletcher go to Marseille, where he isn't scoring either.

That said I'd still have him in the squad along with Rhodes.

In terms of holding the ball up, linking with runners and brining midfielders in to play, he isn't, and therefore he just doesn't offer enough.

I watch him very, very regularly, he's a decent, even good poacher, but not really much else sadly.

In terms of holding the ball up, linking with runners and brining midfielders in to play, he isn't, and therefore he just doesn't offer enough.

I watch him very, very regularly, he's a decent, even good poacher, but not really much else sadly.

To be honest from what I saw tonight he was doing that, along with making intelligent runs and being in the right place at the right time. Set up two goals as well, one wrongly disallowed. A bit of a sitter with hitting the post but otherwise a good all round performance.

That said he seems to be tarred with the label "all he does is score goals", that just isn't good enough for Scotland.....

I'd stop arguing tbh. People don't care if you've watched him every week. They've seen 30 seconds of highlights and concluded he's as good as Fletcher.

I, for one, am shocked that Middlesbrough fans such as honest_man#1 and I (who watch Jordan Rhodes play in, and see his limitations in, a 4-2-3-1 system on a weekly basis) might actually be able to identify that Rhodes isn't really suited to that system, especially when he's expected to not only hold the ball up and bring others in to play, but create chances himself.

He's a cracking second tier poacher, and I hope he eventually proves me wrong, but at the minute he just isn't a top level striker (has had four guilt edged chances and only just taken one of them) and just isn't as good as Steven Fletcher.

Tbf I'd take the opinion of the manager that signed him to play in that system over some random on the internet, slight hole in your argument there

Tbf I'd take the opinion of the manager that signed him to play in that system over some random on the internet, slight hole in your argument there

Fair point, I mean, no manager has ever made a signing that hasn't worked out right enough...

I'd stop arguing tbh. People don't care if you've watched him every week. They've seen 30 seconds of highlights and concluded he's as good as Fletcher.

Sounds like everyone on here watched the full 90 tonight.

I don't think he's as tidy a player as Fletcher, but he appears to be more effective.

That said, I'd have Rhodes in the squad with Fletcher, not instead of - that'd be silly

I've been in attendance at every single minute Fletcher has played for Scotland, same with Rhodes, I even watched Rhodes score a hattrick in an away U21 game.  I think that gives me some basis to make a judgement.

I've concluded that Rhodes offers as much to Scotland as Fletcher. Maybe in slightly different ways, but he's a goalscorer which we need, Fletcher isn't.

However it isn't an either or situation, we can have both, maybe even start with both of them.

I've been in attendance at every single minute Fletcher has played for Scotland, same with Rhodes, I even watched Rhodes score a hattrick in an away U21 game.  I think that gives me some basis to make a judgement.

Yes, whilst Fletcher lines up against Belgium, Croatia etc. you can compare him to Rhodes getting a hat trick against Luxembourg's u21 side.

Be good to find out, as I've no idea if he's (hopefully) doing well there or just making up the numbers.

I watched him against Bordeaux the other week, he done fairly well (the game ended 0-0) but Marseille play effectively the same way Scotland set up. Him aerially challenging the CB's and bringing the wingers into the play.

Yes, whilst Fletcher lines up against Belgium, Croatia etc. you can compare him to Rhodes getting a hat trick against Luxembourg's u21 side.

Leaving your smart arse comments aside, I was pointing out I've seen enough of Rhodes and Fletcher to make a judgement.

Sorry it doesn't match yours.

Pointing out what you're leaving out isn't 'smart árse comments'. If you'd wrote out "I've seen Rhodes score a hat trick against Luxembourg u21" you'd have (correctly) been told, so fùck.

Try and debate the issue without attempting to belittle people's posts and resorting to fu responses, especially as I wasn't even responding to you anyway, the opposition was irrelevant to the point being made.

Archived