St Johnstone vs Partick Thistle - 17/10/2015

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I'm right in saying that we've only won once at McDiarmid since it opened - a 3-1 win in the early 90's, which I'm sure was my first away game.

I've seen plenty of draws up there, but to say it isn't a happy hunting ground for us would be an understatement. We never seem to get thrashed though, it's always frustrating 2-1 or 2-0 defeats. The worst one I can remember was leading 1-0 early on in a game in our relegation season under Britton and Whyte. We were absolutely coasting to victory when Peter MacDonald (I think), scored two last minute goals to beat us.

There's lots of encouragement to take from Saturday's win, but I can't see us getting anything next week, which is no disgrace given how well St Johnstone are playing at the moment.

McDiarmid Park for me is forever the place where Simon Donnelly missed from about a yard in that season where we kinda pretended to challenge Saints for the title.

United game was a good result but they are pish, devoid of confidence, didn't have a manager and were away from home. None of that applies to Saints so hard to see us taking all 3 points.

Optimistic 1-1.

Need to get the momentum going now after the last 2 results. I'd like to imagine that Clark is going to be Pushing Mannus in training after getting a taste of first team action.

3-1 saints, Easton to get the Stanic treatment from the fans with demands to shoot once he gets the ball past the half way line.

Under 2.5 goals. 1-1 most likely or a 1-0 home win.

Obviously, if Wright moves to Yinited we will rout the Fermers 3-0 8)

I wouldn't put money on under 2.5 goals if I was you!

Our 10 games this season have produced 38 goals so far. We have conceded every game, and scored in every game.

McDiarmid Park for me is forever the place where Simon Donnelly missed from about a yard in that season where we kinda pretended to challenge Saints for the title.

United game was a good result but they are pish, devoid of confidence, didn't have a manager and were away from home. None of that applies to Saints so hard to see us taking all 3 points.

Optimistic 1-1.

Donnelly had an effort cleared off the line in a nil nil at firhill by gary irvine too.

Dumbuya to score a goal again, as he goes on an ian maxwell esque scoring run imo

Was that Irvine clearanve the incredible one ?

Donnelly touched it round the keeper who'd come off his line, then took it onto his right foot from about 20 yards out with the goalie stranded, placed a shot that Irvine got back and cleared with a diving header. :(

We finished at least 9 points off the pace that season, iirc, and with hindsight it's better we went up when we did as we'd built the foundations of a side fit to stay up - that side, maybe Harkins apart, would have needed some serious changes to stand a chance of staying up. We also got fortunate with Hearts' points deduction when we finally got up, too.

I'd keep Clark in goal. Apart from the corner that led to Aberdeen's goal he's apparently done little wrong so I think it'd be unfair to drop him. However going by how Kane's been treated I'd expect Mannus to go straight back in.

Mannus has earned the right to the starting jersey over a number of years in one of the most successful teams in our history. To lose his place because of a dubious red card would be highly unfair. It should be based on form and while Zander filled in well, that is his role at present. Mannus to come back in against Thistle and keep his place until HIS form dictates otherwise.

Donnelly touched it round the keeper who'd come off his line, then took it onto his right foot from about 20 yards out with the goalie stranded, placed a shot that Irvine got back and cleared with a diving header. :(

We finished at least 9 points off the pace that season, iirc, and with hindsight it's better we went up when we did as we'd built the foundations of a side fit to stay up - that side, maybe Harkins apart, would have needed some serious changes to stand a chance of staying up. We also got fortunate with Hearts' points deduction when we finally got up, too.

Think it was ten points actually. The fact that we were in with a chance with two games remaining flattered us, but then we lost the final two games and saints won theirs so the final table wasn't a bad reflection.

With regards to Hearts, without the deduction they would have finished behind is but ahead of Hibs IIRC. Obviously things would have panned out differently in such a situation though.

Harkins was basically dragging Thistle kicking and screaming through games at one point that season. He scored a really good goal against us at home in a 1-1 draw. Which was a game that I think if Thistle had won they'd have been within a single point of us.

Ultimately we deserved to go up over the course of the season, going 17 or whatever games unbeaten, albeit a fair number of draws was cracking stuff.

Christ, imagine if we'd had a Dundee 2012 scenario in 2009 where we finished 2nd with that team then got promoted at short notice when a SPL team went bust- especialliy if we'd sold Harkins & Twaddle by that point (as we had to in order to keep ourselves solvent). We'd have got about 7 points all season.

Mannus has earned the right to the starting jersey over a number of years in one of the most successful teams in our history. To lose his place because of a dubious red card would be highly unfair. It should be based on form and while Zander filled in well, that is his role at present. Mannus to come back in against Thistle and keep his place until HIS form dictates otherwise.

Mannus has obviously been brilliant for us and HIS form has earned him the right to start as our first choice keeper. This season though Tommy's stated that he considers us to have two first team keepers. How often do we hear of players needing genuine competition for their places to help keep them on top form? Play well and you're in the team until something happens to make that change.

You can use whichever adjective you wish to describe a red card but the bottom line is it happened. That opened the door for first team keeper number two to come in and he's taken his chance well, so, no matter how hard it may appear on Mannus, Clark stays until he does something to let Mannus back in imho.

A couple of the criticisms about Tommy is that he has his favourites and he won't play youth. Mannus coming straight back in wouldn't exactly help counter those.

Archived