Should Strachan Go?

DeeTillEhDeh

I already said my reasons in previous post. We have performed better than in previous campaigns and seems to have the backing of the players.

In the end we haven't been good enough, but to be fair there isn't a great deal between ourselves, Ireland and Poland. We've just come up a ball hair short.

I don't think that warrants binning the manager.

Surely if such a miniscule gap exists, and clearly given the results between the three teams it does, then the campaign can only be described as an inate failure.......and not because of anything which happened on Thursday. It represented a culmination of events which were laid out by a manager given possibly the most backing from all quarters, of which many people seem not to want to hold to account?? I shudder to think what will become of things if we finish below both Slovenia and Slovakia in that case. Who's fault will it be then??

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surely if such a miniscule gap exists, and clearly given the results between the three teams it does, then the campaign can only be described as an inate failure.......and not because of anything which happened on Thursday. It represented a culmination of events which were laid out by a manager given possibly the most backing from all quarters, of which many people seem not to want to hold to account?? I shudder to think what will become of things if we finish below both Slovenia and Slovakia in that case. Who's fault will it be then??

It's Strachan's fault that we haven't qualified out of this section, make no mistake. He ultimately carries the can. The difference is I have seen enough that I don't think changing the manager is the answer.

As I said in my original post, if we fail to qualify for Russia then he'll need to go but I'd like to give him the chance to get us there.

Yeah I remember you saying that before. But surely his pace is still there? I'd guess it was more a confidence thing, i.e. how and when to use his speed? Maybe playing with Scotland has beaten all that initial chirpiness out of him :lol:

Well indeed. Confidence has slowly been dragged out of most of the team, let alone just Anya.

Well indeed. Confidence has slowly been dragged out of most of the team, let alone just Anya.

That's been one of the major things missing from the 2nd half of the campaign: pluck and belief. Sounds cliched, but it's just not been there since the Ireland game at Celtic Park. Is it possible that our players realised they were in a reasonably commanding position in the group and collectively shat themselves?

Its not IMpossible, but reminds me of the euphoria surrounding the 3-1 triumph over Ukraine in 2007. We went to Georgia requiring three points from the last two games to secure qualification, and in my opinion Italy at home was a lot easier to get themselves up for than Tbilisi on a pishing wet Wednesday in October. Either that, or people started believing their own publicity on both occasions. Given that seven of that actual squad remain, clearly lessons are not bring learned.

Well if you're looking for a ringing endorsement, I don't have one. But my point is that the campaign has been far from a disaster that some people would have you believe. We are not far away and I don't see the need for change.

Not taking the quest for even 3rd place into the last round of fixtures, really is quite far away.

I think it's easier to argue a need for change than it is to make a case for continuity.

It's actually a push to say that we've been better than in previous campaigns. The evidence is scarce. The fact that there's little between us, the Irish and the Poles, yet we're well adrift of both, is hardly a ringing endorsement of our current manager now, is it?

In the previous campaign where we not out of it before some of the minnows?

We were rank under Levein. GS has improved results and performances. Did we not finish 4th in the last campaign because of the double header over Croatia? Pretty sure we were heading for 5th place before he took over. Ok we have fell short yet again but there has been progress

Whether its GS who continues on or someone else builds on his work is another matter.

Not taking the quest for even 3rd place into the last round of fixtures, really is quite far away.I think it's easier to argue a need for change than it is to make a case for continuity.

It's not that far away when you consider the quality in our group.

Poland are simply a better team than us, a comfortable level above. Germany are world champions. And Ireland are much of a muchness with us, but managed to get 4 points of bloody Germany.

It's not that far away when you consider the quality in our group.

Poland are simply a better team than us, a comfortable level above. Germany are world champions. And Ireland are much of a muchness with us, but managed to get 4 points of bloody Germany.

While we got none and lost in Georgia.

How can people support Strachan by saying Ireland are no better than us?

That's precisely the point.

In the previous campaign where we not out of it before some of the minnows?

We were rank under Levein. GS has improved results and performances. Did we not finish 4th in the last campaign because of the double header over Croatia? Pretty sure we were heading for 5th place before he took over. Ok we have fell short yet again but there has been progress

Whether its GS who continues on or someone else builds on his work is another matter.

Saying we were worse in the campaign Levein was allowed to start, does not mean Strachan has been good; or imply that the best course of action is to let the latest flop start a new campaign.

While we got none and lost in Georgia.How can people support Strachan by saying Ireland are no better than us? That's precisely the point.

Our players are arguably no better than the irish at the moment. Very, very similar. No works class players, plenty of workmanlike pro's.

A change in manager will not change this.

People laughed when i said anya was over.rated..

Did they though? If anyone thought anya was something really special then they need a long lie down.

He got many fans excited because he seemed to play his best games for us. Pace and positivity and with Scotland it was working really well for him.

That's not the same as thinking he's world class in any way.

Our players are arguably no better than the irish at the moment. Very, very similar. No works class players, plenty of workmanlike pro's.

Perhaps, but what Southern Oirland possess is players who can both carry out instruction and act on initiative when the opportunity arises. This should be a bigger concern than who the manager is, frankly, but Strachan is being hailed a prophet when other managers have managed their limited squads better. Scottsh fans are quick to make comparisons where they may make a distinction to aid their argument, and Ireland is often a prime example.....one on one, them against us, etc. Well........ look what happened when we had the same opponents with similar pools to choose from.

Perhaps, but what Southern Oirland possess is players who can both carry out instruction and act on initiative when the opportunity arises. This should be a bigger concern than who the manager is, frankly, but Strachan is being hailed a prophet when other managers have managed their limited squads better. Scottsh fans are quick to make comparisons where they may make a distinction to aid their argument, and Ireland is often a prime example.....one on one, them against us, etc. Well........ look what happened when we had the same opponents with similar pools to choose from.

We beat them head to head. The difference was the 4 points they got from the best team in the world. You've got to tip your hat to O'Neil and the irish for those two games but you can't describe them as anything other than freak results.

Who the f**k is saying that Strachan is a prophet? Most sensible Scotland fans think we are limited as a squad and he is probably getting the most out of them (with the odd frustrating performance like Georgia away - and every Scotland manager ever gets the odd game like that).

On balance most fans think he deserves another campaign to see if he can eek out a qualification.

Think he just accidentally confirmed he's off after tomorrow

What did he say?

Tbh, I do think he is going to walk away anyway and there are rumours circling that he is going to quit.

Twitter saying that all he said in his interview was that he won't reveal his future after tomorrows match which suggests that he is going to think it through.

You're defeating yourself here, by providing my arguments for me.

If both squads are similar, yet one performs markedly better; then that suggests that how they're managed makes a significant difference and that change is necessary.

You're defeating yourself here, by providing my arguments for me.If both squads are similar, yet one performs markedly better; then that suggests that how they're managed makes a significant difference and that change is necessary.

f**k sake. Strachan should go because he didn't win points against the world champions.

What a ridiculous argument.

Archived