Should Strachan Go?

DeeTillEhDeh

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We can't just keep chopping managers, although the previous two deserved hanging! WGS knows the capabilities of this squad and will make necessary changes for the next campaign.

Can you imagine if the Man Utd board had bowed to public pressure in 1989 and sacked Fergie? Obviously, no comparisons with GS to Fergie. But sometimes stability is the answer.

I thought it was a great game last night, we didn't embarrass ourselves. We just didn't hold on for 10 seconds!

And what's wrong with being a wee nippy b*****d? Every manager needs to be in control of media conferences.

Night and day from where we were when Levein left. He's taken us forward, but it's ultimately not been enough to see us through. He absolutely deserves another crack and there's no other candidate who could do a better job.

We can't just keep chopping managers, although the previous two deserved hanging! WGS knows the capabilities of this squad and will make necessary changes for the next campaign.

Can you imagine if the Man Utd board had bowed to public pressure in 1989 and sacked Fergie? Obviously, no comparisons with GS to Fergie. But sometimes stability is the answer.

I thought it was a great game last night, we didn't embarrass ourselves. We just didn't hold on for 10 seconds!

And what's wrong with being a wee nippy b*****d? Every manager needs to be in control of media conferences.

If you cannot see the distinction between a manager's personality and how he sets his team out, then im sure you'll be giggling if Hartley makes light of everything but the result the next time United pump you. Never mind last night......yet again, Scotland aren't going to be at the finals. Everything is relevant, but then.again you've decided excitement makes up for that. Small wonder we are fucking crap with that attitude.

What's that, Gordo?? Ok. I'll open. How many times did Naismith and Fletcher combine during the hour-and a bit together?? How many times did Hutton have to be bollocked by Martin about his positioning?? And why were the Poles two-on-one at the equaliser??? Take your time, please.

Definitely should stay for me.

He's made some mistakes with team selections in the few games before the Poland game but what manager doesn't, and his team selection against Poland was vindicated although i didn't agree with his subs.

When the draw was made no one could envisage that our rivals would take 3+4 points off the World Champions. It wasn't even factored into anyone's thinking that Ireland would get 4 points off of them.

Ironically enough we actually played better against the Germans in both games than Poland did in their win, and Ireland did in their two games against him, but we gave away sloppy goals to them and it ended up costing us.

The Georgia game was poor, but we've competed in every single match and it's been fine lines between success and failure. We competed as well as could be expected against Germany, we were 10 seconds from getting 4 points from Poland which everyone would have taken, and took 4 points from Ireland which everyone would have taken.

Strachan was also unlucky that over the past few games he's been going into them with key players completely out of form at their clubs. Brown, Steven Fletcher and Naismith to name just three key players from this campaign were all way of their best club form when it came to the Georgia and Germany games, and it wasn't until after that that Naismith finally got a go in the Everton team, and it wasn't until last weekend that Fletcher got some confidence at Sunderland.

I'm all for sacking a manager if i feel we are going backwards or stagnating under him like with Levein or Burley, but for me we are still in a state of progression under Strachan, which hasn't ultimately came as fast as we wanted. The players love playing for him, he has us at least trying to play football and competing well in every game we play. There's nothing to suggest that under Strachan this team won't get better rather than worse, the same way Northern Ireland have improved drastically thanks to allowing Michael O'Neill to keep his job when they were getting pumped off shite like Luxembourg.

If you cannot see the distinction between a manager's personality and how he sets his team out, then im sure you'll be giggling if Hartley makes light of everything but the result the next time United pump you. Never mind last night......yet again, Scotland aren't going to be at the finals. Everything is relevant, but then.again you've decided excitement makes up for that. Small wonder we are fucking crap with that attitude.

Who exactly pumped Scotland in this campaign? Strachan's attitude maybe confrontational, I'll have that every time. Like everyone else you're hurting. But really, you're wanting change for changes sake. Stability is the answer.

And United won't pump us in the remainder of this season.

I would keep him but only if someone knocks some sense in there by getting him to start picking on form and ability first before his favoured pals.

This. WGS will learn from this. Everyday is a school day and all that! He's the best chance we have to mount a successful world cup campaign. Changing a manager would be suicidal right now. Does nobody get this?

This. WGS will learn from this. Everyday is a school day and all that! He's the best chance we have to mount a successful world cup campaign. Changing a manager would be suicidal right now. Does nobody get this?

You say he'll learn from this, but, taking Steven Fletcher as an example, he scored last night, so Strachan will feel vindicated. What is he going to learn?

What has he learned from the Georgia defeat? What has he learned from losing late equalisers against Poland. What has he learned from the narrow late win against Ireland or the away draw?

I'd probably keep him too, unless we can find a better candidate, but I can't see him changing. He'll still be overly loyal to off form players, as he sees that as the best way of building team spirit. He'll still be cagey, which will lead to more draws instead of wins.

The ex-yank coach that some people have mentioned is a shout, but would Scottish players buy-in to that offense/defence, stats driven, USA type style? I'm not sure they would.

Strachan for me, for the moment. Get him a decent assistant to replace that muppet McGhee.

The Georgia game is the only one I could deem as a poor performance, but even if we'd won that game. We might still be only finishing 4th. Saying Strachan should go is too extreme. Aside, I don't know a better person who is available that can easily replace him. There was a lot of bad luck that happened to us throughout the group. Mainly Ireland being able to take 4 points off Germany, while we played relatively well against them in both games and failed to take anything. On top of that, Georgia failing to take anything off either Poland or Ireland.

The Georgia game is the only one I could deem as a poor performance, but even if we'd won that game. We might still be only finishing 4th. Saying Strachan should go is too extreme. Aside, I don't know a better person who is available that can easily replace him. There was a lot of bad luck that happened to us throughout the group. Mainly Ireland being able to take 4 points off Germany, while we played relatively well against them in both games and failed to take anything. On top of that, Georgia failing to take anything off either Poland or Ireland.

Why is Georgia failing to take anything off our rivals unlucky for us? They are an absolute gang and expect to lose every game. Down there with the Lichtensteins. Us failing to beat them is an embarrassment on our part.

Guest DAVIDB69

If he gets another campaign he has to start watching games as I actually think he watches very few games .

This contributes to him picking players not playing club football etc.

Does he still live in the Southampton area

Who exactly pumped Scotland in this campaign? Strachan's attitude maybe confrontational, I'll have that every time. Like everyone else you're hurting. But really, you're wanting change for changes sake. Stability is the answer.

And United won't pump us in the remainder of this season.

I was referring to his snidey and disrespectful manner upon questioned, which usually occurs after a defeat.....does it not!! Confrontational actions would be passable if his side played their football in such a manner, but they dont....they are the whiniest greetin pussies ive seen in my life. Which tells me its all an act.....the fucking man is taking the piss. So much for it 'not being about Gordon Strachan'. Its not his fault, either....the media have pigeon holed him as the stand-up king of football, but attacking journos is no way to take the heat off his players when five million people have the right to question both them and him. Thats international football....dont play it or manage it if you can't take the heat.

Couldn't believe in his post match interview after last nights game , Strachan actually said " I told the players, I was proud of what they had achieved ".

So 4th place and failing to qualify is something to be proud of ?

That comment alone should be a sackable offence.

To his credit, Strachan's media-handling skills and apparent rapport with most of his players give him a layer of protection that the likes of Burley or Levein were never, ever going to get - despite his campaign ultimately finishing in similar fashion to previous ones. We see this manifested through terms like 'but we've made lots of progress' or 'we're competing in games now', despite the evidence (results/points) showing no discernable improvement at all from previous managers.

That's not to say Strachan's been an awful appointment for us. Our 2014 campaign would have been an utter embarassment without him, and despite the bluster about (correctly) leaving out bang average bumpkins like Griffiths or Rhodes he's brought through new talent in the form of Anya and Ritchie, who have made significant contributions and should play a part in squads up to 2020 at least.

But our rigid approach to games has been really shown up across most of the campaign, especially in the two games v Georgia. We clearly aren't comfortable in retaining possession and the approach is too reliant on inviting pressure to attack on the counter - defensively we're not good enough to allow the better teams to play in front of us so easily, and against a team like Georgia who are happy to spend the game sitting deep we looked clueless. Our goals have largely come through worldies, deflections or free kicks rather than the creation of clear cut chances, which we've had very few of in most of the games we've played. Whilst we've also been hard to score against in the past this is no longer the case now, with every team in the group putting at least one cheap goal past us.

Our pool of talent isn't great, but with the amount of players from a decent enough level at our disposal I don't think there's an excuse for Strachan's inflexible approach to games.

Ultimately if Strachan has improved on the performances of his predecessors then it's only in so far as the positive relationship he has with his players. But there's no third place safety net for the 2018 quaifiers and Strachan won just one game out of six against our direct competitors for this group's qualification spots, so I can't see any credible explanation as to why he ought to be given the task of guiding us to an overperforming top two finish in the next group, when we've underperformed in this one.

Archived