World cup 2018 campaign

1 hour ago, callum-ayr said:

Marshall

Love  Martin  Hanley/Kingsley  Tierney

Fraser/Forrest  Morrison  McArthur  Robertson

Snodgrass

McCormack

I'd like to see something like this.  Freshen the team up a bit, get some new faces and try out some new players and get players in who are deserving.  With the way Forrest has started the season it would be hard to not look at him, would love to see Robertson and Tierney down the left, Morrison and McArthur by far our 2 best central midfielders and McCormack our most prolific striker with Snodgrass given a free role in behind to support.  No doubt we will see Charlie Mulgrew shoe horned in somewhere, Naismith and Steven Fletcher the front 2 with Darren Fletcher in as captain.

ETA - anyone but fucking Hutton please.

I wouldn't object to Mulgrew starting at centre half.

Just on today's showing I'd have Forrest in ahead of Fraser but I'd start Burke ahead of both. I'd have Love in the squad to give him a taster with a view to possibly starting him, don't know how he has been playing for Sunderland, maybe even use Anya at right back.

The left side is quite orgasmic though.

• Replies 873
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not getting the Burke has to play shouts... Based on what? 2 goals? Watched him against Brighton, exciting prospect yes, had a few good moments, but a starter over Anya/Ritchie or Snodgrass who've all been good for us. (Awaits a how have they we've qualified for nothing comment)

9 hours ago, SpoonTon said:

With Hanley looking like he won't be a regular starter at Newcastle, Martin dropping to the bench at Norwich, and Mulgrew still without a club, what will  Strachan do at centre half? 

Berra and Greer?!

strachan has never bothered about players being in the first team or not, he has his picks and will choose them no matter what, fletcher not getting a strip at sunderland last season showed that

2 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

Burke has to play in this one. None of this over-thinking reverse psychology bullshit about not bringing him in too quickly - he's on fire, let's use him.

we wont bring him in until he's in his late 20's and has no experience of the national side of the game at all, then when he doesnt get off to a flyer we slaughter him :lol:

2 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Not getting the Burke has to play shouts... Based on what? 2 goals? Watched him against Brighton, exciting prospect yes, had a few good moments, but a starter over Anya/Ritchie or Snodgrass who've all been good for us. (Awaits a how have they we've qualified for nothing comment)

Damn sure the kid should start he is on fire and now is the time not in 3 yrs. He is the best prospect I have seen who is scottish in a long long time. I personally think given the chance he will grab his jersey with both hands. At long last we have player to get really excited about. He won't solve all our issues but will improve the team straight away that's for sure.

Have the folk who picked Donald Love actually been watching him play?  I watched the Sunderland game yesterday and saw him a few times last season, and he has looked out of his depth every single time.  Hutton is still a better option by miles - I would have Paterson in the squad ahead of Love too.

Damn sure the kid should start he is on fire and now is the time not in 3 yrs. He is the best prospect I have seen who is scottish in a long long time. I personally think given the chance he will grab his jersey with both hands. At long last we have player to get really excited about. He won't solve all our issues but will improve the team straight away that's for sure.

Let's be honest you've seen f**k all of him apart from the highlights of the Forest game.

Anya Ritchie and Snodgrass should play. I think Burke should be in the squad and possibly given a run out, Forrests form will make it harder for Burke too.

There isn't much point in playing Anya against Malta.  He's good in games where we're hitting teams on the break, but he's not as good at breaking teams down.  We need more powerful direct players like Ritchie and Burke in the wide areas for Malta.

9 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

strachan has never bothered about players being in the first team or not, he has his picks and will choose them no matter what, fletcher not getting a strip at sunderland last season showed that

Fletcher made 33 appearances for Sunderland and Marseilles last season, to be fair, including 18 for Sunderland. So it wasn't like he was completely out of the picture. Greer from last season and Hutton from recent years are better examples of that though. So it might not matter to him too much. 

6 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Let's be honest you've seen f**k all of him apart from the highlights of the Forest game.

Anya Ritchie and Snodgrass should play. I think Burke should be in the squad and possibly given a run out, Forrests form will make it harder for Burke too.

Let's be honest you've seen f**k all of him apart from the highlights. Me also but I will take the fact umpteen proffesinals who no more than us both are purring about him. 6 prem clubs after his signature. That will do for me.

If Mulgrew is called up then Strachan just saying to all other players he will basically just select his fave players no matter what and that it does not matter whether you have a club or not, as long as you are in his inner circle you will be protected. The fact Mulgrew has done little to find himself another Club is quite startling as well, its obvious Celtic wont offer him a new deal so why hasn't he moved somewhere like Hull where they are desp for Players? I do not want to see the guy anywhere near the squad but at least Greer had the right idea in actually finding a club.

If Mulgrew is called up then Strachan just saying to all other players he will basically just select his fave players no matter what and that it does not matter whether you have a club or not, as long as you are in his inner circle you will be protected. The fact Mulgrew has done little to find himself another Club is quite startling as well, its obvious Celtic wont offer him a new deal so why hasn't he moved somewhere like Hull where they are desp for Players? I do not want to see the guy anywhere near the squad but at least Greer had the right idea in actually finding a club.

I actually agree with you for once Troopio. I know we're short at the back for options but Mulgrew should be no where near this squad, he will likely not be match fit as well. I'd rather put in a youngster ahead of Mulgrew since its Malta.

On 8/20/2016 at 13:09, 1320Lichtie said:

Would start Bardsley over Hutton every day of the week

Same.  A far more accomplished footballer.

Its going to be interesting to see Strachans squad announced later. Some young players doing well down south at the start of this season and also a few started really well up here. The likes of Stephen Kingsley and Ryan Fraser getting starts in the Premiership. Oliver Burke running riot in the championship. Already dead certs in the squad Snodgrass and Robertson looking very good for Hull. James Forrest looking very sharp along with Kieran Tierney. Centre of defence is still a worry though but hopefully they've convinced Steven Caulker to take part in this campaign.

9 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I've watched him since he broke into the Forest team last season and I saw in his short appearance vs Denmark the makings of a potentially great player. The 2 goal salvo at the weekend and all the sudden 'Bale' chat are just signposts that he's about to make a big splash in the game.

It certainly wouldn't be ridiculous for Strachan to start Ritchie or Forrest on the right, but it would be brave and potentially deft move to realise that Burke is very likely going to be better than either of these guys and go with him early.

34 minutes ago, Aberdeen21 said:

Its going to be interesting to see Strachans squad announced later. Some young players doing well down south at the start of this season and also a few started really well up here. The likes of Stephen Kingsley and Ryan Fraser getting starts in the Premiership. Oliver Burke running riot in the championship. Already dead certs in the squad Snodgrass and Robertson looking very good for Hull. James Forrest looking very sharp along with Kieran Tierney. Centre of defence is still a worry though but hopefully they've convinced Steven Caulker to take part in this campaign.

Is there any hint that Caulker's been talked to?

Re Forrest, I've always defended him, and I think he looks better this season but still prone to poor decision making and that annoyingly weak final ball. Definitely worth a place in the squad but the right winger's jersey is up fro grabs IMO.

Archived